Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2002 8:56:35 AM EDT
A recent thread turned to the topic of costs involved in a self defense shooting, and that has me curious about how many of you with CHL's carry some form of deadly force insurance or legal retainer?

This would apply mainly to folks either law enforcement or CHL,  as homeowner polices would probably cover most home defense shootings.

For my case, I did not have anything other than what the dept provided, and even though I was no billed and the civil case thrown out the combined costs to me went over $70,000.  The cost to the city has been quoted anywhere from $200,000 to half a million.  (in 1991)

Folks, that was a lot of extra jobs over a whole lot of years. I just paid it off three years ago.  In effect, I bought a house i'll never see.

I now pay a monthly retainer to two different places, for a total cost of $162 a month. (my daughter has her CHL on my policy)

For this I get pretty much unlimited legal representation, lost wage coverage, injury coverage arising from the incident, and liability up to 1 million.

Gentlemen,  You all cannot be without this.  There is always a lot of discussion about which gun, ammo, how to carry, where to shoot, etc.  Very few people consider the aftermath.

Guys, Good shoot or not,  dead subject or not, you are going to get sued.  Take that as a given.  Somebody somewhere is going to see you as a money tree.  Without some sort of insurance policy you are going to end up living in a cardboard box, and not a quality cardboard bx at that.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't you have a police union, pay union dues and henceforth get free on the job legal representation. If not ,get a union for that reason.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]
WHERE DO YOU GET IT FROM????

I've wanted this for years!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#4]
What is CHL Insurance?

I am a licensed Ohio Insurance Agent and I have never heard of this type of insurance.

There are limitations on the liability insurance on a homeowners policy for self-defense shoot incidents in your home.

I am just curious if there is a company out on the web that I could find out more information on CHL Insurance.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top