Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2002 7:37:05 AM EDT
I have a problem with my lawnmower and am hoping someone here can help me.  I was mowing my lawn, which due to the recent rains in Texas, is taller than I usually let it get.  The grass is maybe six inches high.  Anyway, I mowed about two thirds of the lawn, when all of sudden the mower began belching white smoke.  Can anyone tell me what might be causing this?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you ever tilt the lawn mower to its side?  Sometimes the oil can leak onto the muffler, and burn.
c-rock
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Um, it would depend on where the smoke is coming from.

The blades are probably all gummed up.. Common if the grass is wet.  This will cause the drive belt to slide over the pully and eat it up, sending smoke everywhere.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Ah, c-rock, that may be it.  I did tilt it and I think the cloud of smoke did come off the muffler.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:48:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Mowers don't typically need 2-cycle oil.  And that wouldn't account for a sudden start to the smoking.  The blades getting jammed up would.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I will check and report back later.  Thank you all for your help.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#7]
The new Briggs and Stratton Quantem engines are terrible about puking oil into the cylinder when tilted a little. This will get to the combustion chamber and smoke like crazy. It only takes a small incline to do it. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd worry if my LawnBoy didn't belch smoke.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#9]
You may have too much oil in the mower. Try emptying some. Also check the air filter.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Try changing the oil. If I tilt mine too often during maintenance, gas somehow fills the combustion chamer and then leaks down into the oil, thus thinning it. Then there's not enough compression to keep the thinned oil back where it's supposed to be and it gets burned up. Lots of white smoke.
At least that's the case with my mower.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I left it alone for a while, and then came back and started it.  It ran fine without smoking, and I finished the rest of the yard.  It must have been a temporary oil-burning thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top