Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2002 6:24:38 PM EDT
Thinking of getting a new vehical soon.  Any owners of these out there?  What do ya think of em?  Power? Room? Ride? Problems?
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I owned a 2000 Dakota 4x4 (which the Durango is built from) with the 5.2, and it was underpowered and made a trip back to the dealer once a month at least. They are fun to drive, and you get to try out all the loaner cars you dealer has on the lot! I counted my warranty receipts after I sold it 8 months after I bought it, and it had been to the dealer 11 times! Never owned a Chevy, but it has to be better than this, plus, more power!

But, if you go off road the Trailblazer sits way too low.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I work as a Service Technician in a GM dealership.
With the Trailblazer having been out for a year now, I recall only one of the many we have sold with a repeat problem and that was in the A/C system, other than that one which happened to be the first one we sold they have been very reliable!
They have plenty of power and are very roomy, but they are not cheap and they are coming with a 3rd seat option now.

[:)]

Lee
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#3]
if you are serious about dropping $30k+ check out automobile magazine's long term trailblazer review. interesting...
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#4]
TAKE THE CHEVY!!!!
Take a jap import wannabe 4x4, take a Volvo all wheel drive wannabe 4x4, take a freakin' econoline van, TAKE ANYTHING....just DON'T TAKE THE DURANGO!

I treat my vehicles nicely...no crashing through the painted desert like a drunk 17 year old or anything like that. My Durango has had the whole drive train replaced, window motors, windshield wiper motors, locks, and has spent more time at the shop than the mechanic working on it[sex]. If it weren't all under warranty, I would have left the thing on the side of the road, shot it, unscrewed the plates and walked off rather disgruntled.

Oh, but it looks ok, if that matters...
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my trailblazer
gets about 17mpg city
good accelartion
only down side is the way the wheel wells are all the dirt and mud sprays all up the sides, and being dark blue mine shows dried on dirt very easily
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
only down side is the way the wheel wells are all teh dirt and mud sprays all up the sides, and being dark blue mine shows dried on dirt very easily
View Quote

So when you go off-roading you worry about getting mud on your truck? [shock]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
it's expected then, but just driving around town is bad

Quoted:

So when you go off-roading you worry about getting mud on your truck? [shock]
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Take a look at the Mitsubishi Montero XLS, not the Montero Sport. It is the same size as the other two you mentioned. If I don't buy my wife another Isuzu Trooper, this is what I'm buyer her.
Oh, and I buy and sell cars a lot, so I routinely see what a 3-5 year old dodge or chevy looks like with normal useage. Anyways, take one for a drive and I think you will be pleased.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#11]
My mom has a 2002 trailblazer and it is aewsome!  Alot of room and its fair share of power for a v6.  It rides better than my silverado.  I'm not a huge fan of dodge because that's what I used to drive at work and they used to catch on fire.  

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll second brouhaha's vote. My 2000 Durango has about 26K miles on it, and the only problem I had was an oxygen sensor that took an hour from driving into the dealership until I was back out on the road.

The 360 mill goes and goes and the A/C is icy cold. I've got the SLT+ package, and the leather is great.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I just went through this for past few months.  

I read/researched everything and asked everybody who owned one on various SUVs currently on the market.  Durango was dropped from the list early because 2 of my co-workers had them (2000 and 2001 models) and both said they would never buy/lease another one.  My choice was narrowed down to Chevy's Trailblazer, Surburban  and Tahoe (and GMC versions of same), Ford's Expedition and Excursion, RangeRover's Discovery and Toyota's Sequoia.  I then test drove friends or dealers sample of each model.  

I liked the Trailblazer/Envoy but on the highway they felt too slugish when passing and it was a little smaller than what I wanted.  Also, the gas milage was low compared to performance (my friend's averaged 16 mpg).

I ended up getting the 2002 Ford Expedition with 5.4L engine and I'm totally happy with it.  Between city and highway driving I get average of 14.5 mpg and I have more than enough power to do what I want or need to do.  On the highway it has no problem passing at 80+ mph.  Plus the dealer/manufacturer was offering $4,000 rebate that weekend so I could not resist.

My only problem is that my wife likes the car more than I do so she uses it all the time on weekends... and I get stuck with her Honda CRV [:-(]

Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Get what YOU want but... don't buy the Chrysler. I'm so tired of working on their crap. A friend has multiple Chrysler products . He won't stop buying them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#15]
We just bought a used '99 Expedition.  Power? no problem.  I can pass at 75 mph going uphill.  Room?  lots of room, especially with the 3rd row seat.  Ride?  like you're on a cushion of air.  problems?  Just that I didn't get one sooner.  a little more expensive than the Trailblazer or Durango, but a much nicer SUV.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd buy the dodge in a heartbeat.  My 97 Grand Cherokee has never let me down.  (Jeep is also a DiamlerChrysler company for those who live under rocks or something..)

But since you misspelled [b]vehicle[/b] you'll probably buy the Chevy. [;)]

With the spell check button RIGHT THERE even!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:03:30 AM EDT
[#17]
GET A JEEP!!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:40:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:23:25 AM EDT
[#19]
My wife drives a 2001 Durango R/T, and after the new car bugs were worked out, it's great. The 5.9 has power to spare.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:34:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Its a no-brainer-- pick any variation of the Dodge Durango.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top