Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2002 4:30:05 PM EDT
Ok guys, I am not the handiest person in the shop, and I have this problem.  I am trying to change the mower blades on a 42 inch MTD garden tractor (two blades).

How does one stop them from turning to get the nut off?

Any help would be much appreciated.

(on another note, even with the key off, if I am turning the blades, can that sucker start up on me?)
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#1]
[b]PULL THE PLUGS[/b]

Pull the spark plugs before you F with it!!!

It might start!  Just pull off the cables and you should be ok.

I use a block of wood to jam the blade to keep it from rotating while I loosen the blade bolt.

BTW you can sharpen blades....they are not disposable...

Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I got an MTD YardMachine 38".
I just used a pair of gloves and held the blade. Get a long handle wrench, helps alot.
Also, blades are only about ten bucks for a pack of two. Wrist watches for ten bucks are disposable, why not blades.
I've had mine for 1 year and 3 weeks and brought it in yesterday to HomeDepot for repairs under warrenty. Pieces were coming off: exhaust housing, housing around drive belt, drive belt is off and shredded, deck won't lower on one side. These repairs should be free of charge. But I have to be without my mower for at least a week.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I recommend that you own 2 sets of blades (4 blades total).

That way you can keep a set sharp and ready to go and sharpen the dull set when ever you feel like it because changing the blades is a big enough pain in the ass much less having to sharpen them and reassemble it all in one job.

Oh and I HATE my POS MTD wish I had never bought it.  Good thing I'm half-way handy or the yard would look like the mei-cong delta...
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#6]
All of a sudden, I feel much better about my POS Craftsman 38" that I bought used for $500!
It has been totally trouble free.

Of course, NOW it will probably throw a rod!
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#7]
gus - make sure it doesn't hear you when you say things like that. shhhh
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:04:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
gus - make sure it doesn't hear you when you say things like that. shhhh
View Quote

Luckily, I can type without mouthing the words!!![:D][:D]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Look at the shaft that the blade is mounted on. See where it goes through the deck, bearings, pulley? There ought to be a nut on the top side of the shaft that you can put a wrench on to counter the torque you allpy to the blade nut. I changed mine yesterday. It's the third time. Three bent blades in 6 weeks. DAMN!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top