Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/31/2012 3:18:12 PM EDT
I heard on Friday a younger cousin of mine was killed last week while jogging..a fellow Chef as well...

44 yrs old....

taken out by a 16 year old girl, texting and driving..

I am NOT a we need more laws kind of guy, we have too damn many laws as it is... but
The dangers coming with the modern era technology are disastrous..

DISTRACTED Driving is moronic..and yes, I am guilty of doing it, but no longer after this episode and I pray both for Kenneth
and especially for the poor girl carrying his homicide for the rest of her life. caused by her stupidity..

CHEF
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry for your loss.

Quoted:
I am NOT a we need more laws kind of guy, we have too damn many laws as it is... but

I'm a we-need-harsher-penalties-for-motorists-who-kill-or-maim-through-their-stupidity kind of guy...

Rather than banning more things for the damage they might do, we need to concentrate on making the penalties for actually doing them so severe as to be unthinkable.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#2]
So many driving restrictions on 16yos today, isn't a parent required to drive with her at 16?

Sorry for your loss

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I heard on Friday a younger cousin of mine was killed last week while jogging..a fellow Chef as well...

44 yrs old....

DISTRACTED Driving is moronic..and yes, I am guilty of doing it, but no longer after this episode and I pray both for Kenneth
and especially for the poor girl carrying his homicide for the rest of her life. caused by her stupidity..

CHEF

So you feel worse for the negligent girl, than your innocent friend?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I am sorry for your loss.  Good friends are not easily replaced, if ever.

We have anti-text/phone laws here in California.  I have not noticed a marked decrease in cell phone use when driving amongst my fellow motorists.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#5]
at least the driver wasn't drunk

A lot people think they have a God given right to text and drive and being killed by a drunk driver is 10x worse than being killed by any other type of driver

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Make crashing illegal.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#8]
i cannot even count the times i have almost been hit by another car whose driver was on the phone.......it pisses me off to no end

so sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

44 yrs old....

CHEF

Sorry for your loss.

Your right, we  don't need MORE laws, how many variations of YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS.    It makes no difference to the dead if the girl was intoxicated, texting, talking on the phone, reaching in the glove box for some lip gloss, changing the station on the radio.....ITS only because we now seem to need the STATE to treat us like children that we even consider more laws.

THE GIRL IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF HER CHOICES.   She used poor judgement, and it resulted in two deaths.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Wife and I got rear-ended in January by a girl who was on the phone.

She was going 55-60mph - we were stopped.

Totaled the wife's car.  Scared the shit out of me.

One of the cops on scene and I got to talking while we were waiting on the tow truck.  Our conversation went something like this:

Cop: "So, people ask me this all the time.  I'll ask you now.  Would you support laws banning texting and driving?"
Me: "No, not in the slightest.  It wouldn't have stopped this accident from happening.  Besides, let's say that the worst case scenario happened and my wife and I died, but this girl lived.  It would be of no consolation to my wife's family or my family to know that this girl also got a $200 ticket."
Cop: "That's exactly what I tell everyone. "
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sorry for your loss.

Quoted:

I'm a we-need-harsher-penalties-for-motorists-who-kill-or-maim-through-their-stupidity kind of guy...

Rather than banning more things for the damage they might do, we need to concentrate on making the penalties for actually doing them so severe as to be unthinkable.

First post win, sorry for your loss OP.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm cooking this Foie Gras in honor of your cousin! Sorry for your loss!
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#14]
We're almost up to the death penalty for DUI.... why not this too?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#15]
People texting while driving is what keeps me wanting to install a real loud air horn or a PA system.
With a PA, like we used to have with the old CB radios, it just wasn't loud enough to holler at someone.
Does anyone make one that doesn't also have siren sounds on it? I do not want to be accused or tempted to use it-hahahaha
Just a 12v amp, speaker and a microphone- but real simple to install. Wonder if they make them wireless yet??

Mark
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You're confusing driving drunk with killing someone as a consequence of driving drunk.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're confusing driving drunk with killing someone as a consequence of driving drunk.

*I* am not..... but it seems the general public does.

No excuses... you're caught texting you get the chair. That's the way the want to handle DUI.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#18]
How do we know for sure that talking or texting is the cause of these incidents?  So many people are talking/texting these days that it only stands to reasom that a person involved in an accident is more likely to have been using the phone just due to shear numbers of people using the phone period, How can you say they were distracted by the phone? Before cell phones I saw just as many accidents as now. I contribute it to what I said thirty years ago, people are not well trained on how to avoid accidents or how to handle their vehicles to get out of bad situations.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Volume of texting is directly proportional to one's stupidity.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*snip*

CHEF
So you feel worse for the negligent girl, than your innocent friend?

Something similar happened to a friend of mine a while back, he was out riding his skateboard and got hit by a lady who dropped something on the floorboard and tried picking it up while driving.

My buddy was knocked unconscious and never woke up and the lady that hit him now has to carry that burden every day of her life until the day she dies.

Being dead > Living with the guilt and knowledge that a stupid, split-second decision you made resulted in the needless death of someone else

I'm sorry for your loss, OP, hang in there

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry for your loss

It amazes me how many people around here text and drive and don't seem to give a shit how it affects their driving. Pretty much every time I see a car sitting at a green light, crossing lanes or whatever, I can see the driver looking at the phone instead of the road. It's almost always a young woman too.

I guess being social is now more important than avoiding potentially killing someone.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sorry for your loss.

Quoted:

Yeah, because that works.  
(We kill people who murder innocents and it still happens daily)
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I was driving on a road a few months ago.

35 MPH speed limit, paved road, one lane going in each direction with painted lines down the center.

I see an SUV approaching me which gradually drifts into my lane, coming at me head on.

I brake hard, hit the horn, and get ready to throw it into the breakdown lane (or the ditch, if necessary).

Then I see the driver's head look up, where previously his head was looking down at his lap.  His eyes get as big as dinner plates, and finally he cranks it around back into his own lane.

Texting, of course.

We don't need more laws, because laws don't cure stupid.

We do need less stupidity.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Make crashing illegal.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#25]

It seems that every asshole driver I see these days has a phone in their hands, be they talking on it or trying to text and drive.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#26]
If you text while driving your are a fucking idiot.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:44:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So many driving restrictions on 16yos today, isn't a parent required to drive with her at 16?

Here in OR, 16 is when you get your license; 15 is the permit with parental supervision.

OP: I am sorry for your loss... Words are never enough.  Please take care.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Story # 2.

Similar to story number one, above, but this one involves an 18 wheel semi tractor trailer.

Two lane county highway, one lane in each direction, speed = 55 MPH.

Road crosses a bridge over several railroad tracks beneath.  As you approach the apex of the span, it is hard to see what is coming up the other side from the other direction because of the curvature of the bridge.

Suddenly coming up to the top of the bridge I see a semi halfway into my lane.  Marvellous.

Now the problem here is that there are cement Jersey barriers on either side of the bridge acting as guard rails, so you can only get over so far.

Luckily I got over far enough to get around him, and he finally saw me, realized he was over the line, and reacted.

I have run that scenario over in my mind since it happened two weeks ago, and I can think of no reason why that trucker was drifting into my lane, unless he was texting.

Whatever it is, there is a HELL of a lot of distracted driving on the roads these days.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Personally, I believe that there should be a cell phone scrambler installed in every motor vehicle.

Make it so that it is only active when the car is in gear.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Personally, I believe that there should be a cell phone scrambler installed in every motor vehicle.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I have some history-

I was hit by a car when I was 17- A TBI and some change ended my .mil plans cold.  Suspected drunk driver, it was a hit and run and he never got caught.

then several years in EMS, quite a few MVAs while I was at it.

Personally, I think way too many people are allowed to drive, and I have no problem with banning texting and driving.  There is NO way to safely text while driving, the act always carries risk to others, this principal alone, to me, justifies its prohibition.  I realize stupid turds will still text and drive, my opinion is that reckless driving should get your license pulled.   Again this won't get every idiot off the roads, but it will thin the herd of stupid further.  Murders will still kill people even if its illegal, however no logical person supports the legalization of murder as non-killers won't kill anyway.  I don't care or believe the "can't drive = can't work" line, I have just wrapped up two years of school and work with no car in a Western city, it can be done.  

Failing that throw a murder charge at her, controlling a multi-ton machine, traveling at high speed in public, and not paying attention to what you are doing, means that whatever happens has way too many dangerously negligent screw ups to be an "accident."  

I have no sympathy for the texters, you only need two brain cells to realize not looking at the road means you are not paying attention to the road.  And honestly, if the conversation is by text, its just not that important, it can wait.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

googly eyes or not i can see cellphones having an automatic airplane mode if they are moving over 10mph or something.

granted i would rather have stiffer penlites for doing anything other then driving.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
at least the driver wasn't drunk

A lot people think they have a God given right to text and drive and being killed by a drunk driver is 10x worse than being killed by any other type of driver

Yes, if you're one of the people that wants to bring back prohibition.z
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#35]
A friend of mine and all around good guy was killed by some fucking bitch while he was triathlon training. Former football player and advanced triathlete struck down before he even peaked

She was (likely) texting when she hit him

called the police 2 hours later to report that she "hit a dog." in the mean time he died.

For the record i still dont support nanny laws on texting.  the $150 texting ticket is nothing compared to the manslaughter conviction she will hopefully get.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

googly eyes or not i can see cellphones having an automatic airplane mode if they are moving over 10mph or something.

granted i would rather have stiffer penlites for doing anything other then driving.

And if I'm the passenger? Or I'm on my own damn property, alone, moving over 10mph? If I'm on a gravel township road at 3am and there's nobody else awake, much less on the road, is it still dangerous?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#37]
That sucks, sorry for your loss.

I always push for heavy enforcement of the distracted driving laws for phones instead of making more laws to have to enforce whenever the issue comes up.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sorry for your loss.

Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't even try to use the cell phone when I'm driving.  Forget texting.  That requires literacy and the ability to read and rite.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So if I'm a passenger and want to look up a restaurant on my phone while I'm out with a friend, or send a text or make a call to someone while I have some free time riding in a car...too fucking bad for me? Yeah, more regulation on our personal lives is exactly what we need.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So if I'm a passenger and want to look up a restaurant on my phone while I'm out with a friend, or send a text or make a call to someone while I have some free time riding in a car...too fucking bad for me? Yeah, more regulation on our personal lives is exactly what we need.

i didn't say i wanted it.

but its what i think will happen.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#42]
There is a reason why it's illegal here.
I still see people texting while driving though. I see them beside me at a stop light and give them the stinkeye. I always get the one fingered salute from the young drivers, the older offenders just look away in shame, but continue fucking with their phones.

I was sitting at a red light turning lane last October and witnessed a lady holding her phone on top of her steering wheel as she went through the red light and T-boned a Corolla. I will be going to court when the occupants of the Corolla are recovered enough to testify.

The fine should be $10,000 if caught while texting when no accident occurs, 5 years jail time plus court and liability costs if it caused an accident. Death penalty if you are texting and driving and kill somebody.  JMHO.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The hardest part is persuading people that the phone/texting really, actually, honestly makes them a crappier driver.
Everybody thinks they are the special one who drives just fine while distracted.  How do you penetrate stupidity like that?

There are plenty of people on ARFCOM that think they are fine doing it, including lots of cops.

Me, I have been using my horn a lot lately

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Sorry for your loss

No. I think 16 is usually the age in most states where they can get an unrestricted license. By unrestricted I mean driving alone, there is probably other restrictions such as amount of passengers and time of day,etc.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I still see people texting while driving though. I see them beside me at a stop light and give them the stinkeye. I always get the one fingered salute from the young drivers, the older offenders just look away in shame, but continue fucking with their phones.

I was sitting at a red light turning lane last October and witnessed a lady holding her phone on top of her steering wheel as she went through the red light and T-boned a Corolla. I will be going to court when the occupants of the Corolla are recovered enough to testify.

The fine should be $10,000 if caught while texting when no accident occurs, 5 years jail time plus court and liability costs if it caused an accident. Death penalty if you are texting and driving and kill somebody.  JMHO.

I think thats ridiculous.

And no I don't do it so don't start with that. I don't even have a cell phone.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Edit..Double post
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:40:53 PM EDT
[#47]
i am of the opinion that we don't need any more laws telling you what you cant do.  but we could use a law saying that if you text and drive, and kill some one in the process you are going to jail for min 25 yrs.  

so if you have the ability to do it safely then fine, but you will be held more than accountable if you screw up.

S

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:53:01 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

i am of the opinion that we don't need any more laws telling you what you cant do.  but we could use a law saying that if you text and drive, and kill some one in the process you are going to jail for min 25 yrs.  

so if you have the ability to do it safely then fine, but you will be held more than accountable if you screw up.

S

No we don't. Vehicular Homocide is already a crime. What difference does it make what the cause of the negligence was?

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Seeing how many people have their noses buried in their phones while I'm on the freeway fucking frightens me
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think thats ridiculous.

And no I don't do it so don't start with that. I don't even have a cell phone.

What would you propose as a deterrent then ? Just curious.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top