Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2012 6:51:09 AM EDT
I'm very interested in doing it.

Is there a certain year after which a vehicle cannot be converted? How expensive is it? Where do I get a kit?
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Last time we looked at converting some of our fleet the cost was about $10k/truck installed by the Chevrolet dealership, this was for 09-11 vintage Silverado 1500s.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:58:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Last time we looked at converting some of our fleet the cost was about $10k/truck installed by the Chevrolet dealership, this was for 09-11 vintage Silverado 1500s.

d-d-damn!

I was hoping for something in the $2,500 range. Too optimistic, maybe?
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#3]
If you wait for some .gov tax breaks and DIY it's possible.  However, DIY was out of the question for us and there were no tax breaks available.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:02:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Where you going to get compressed natural gas?

Propane is doable and lots of off roaders do it since it's immune to tilt of the vehicle.  Don't know if you could see a cost savings on propane vs gasoline however.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:02:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Check your state laws also. You may need special permits or inspections.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Where you going to get compressed natural gas?

From a station.  They're fairly popular in OK.

Just saw he's in AFG, uhhhhh, good luck?

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:04:38 AM EDT
[#7]
T boon hickens has been suggesting that we change our Semis and commerical vehicles to this. It would free up 3million barrels of oil a day for us.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Half of the private vehicles  overhere are on propane, including brand new Mercedes ,BMWs.. .So i think it is possible to every car .

Natural gas is a little bit more complicated due to the heavy tank [the pressure inside is enormous],but almost all of the taxi drivers are on natural gas [metan ].

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

T boon hickens has been suggesting that we change our Semis and commerical vehicles to this. It would free up 3million barrels of oil a day for us.

I'm a T Boone fan, and I wish this plan would go through.  I'm not sure OTR trucks should be converted, but city vehicles and the like should be on CNG RFN.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Half of the private vehicles  overhere are on propane, including brand new Mercedes ,BMWs.. .So i think it is possible to every car .  

Interesting, I did not know that.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#11]
If you happened to have a Toyota with a 22R or 22RE engine:

Got Propane?
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:11:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, I did not know that.

$6.30 per gal today and this is 95 octanes,100 octanes is $7+

btw. the Italian made propane car systems are highly rated .

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Is there a certain year after which a vehicle cannot be converted? How expensive is it? Where do I get a kit?

Most DIY kits are designed and EPA certified for 1986 and earlier vehicles. Later systems are available for popular cars and trucks that are commonly used as fleet vehicles.

Depending on the vehicle and brand system, $1000 to 2K including a tank.

Nash Fuel advertises on e-bay as "propane-kits".  Good folks.

Raso Enterprises website has a wealth of info on propane conversions.

LPG is common for motor fuel, CNG is not.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most DIY kits are designed and EPA certified for 1986 and earlier vehicles. Later systems are available for popular cars and trucks that are commonly used as fleet vehicles.

Depending on the vehicle and brand system, $1000 to 2K including a tank.

Nash Fuel advertises on e-bay as "propane-kits".  Good folks.

Raso Enterprises website has a wealth of info on propane conversions.

LPG is common for motor fuel, CNG is not.

Propane is readily and easily available to me whenever I'm in the states.

Sounds like my real problem will be finding a kit for a particular vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#15]
If your vehicle is carbureted?  Easy.  Plumb a few hoses, mount a tank, bolt on a couple of regulators and heat exchangers.

If EFI - moderate to difficult, depending.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If your vehicle is carbureted?  Easy.  Plumb a few hoses, mount a tank, bolt on a couple of regulators and heat exchangers.

Yes, it's EFI.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it's EFI.

Wanna let us in on the make/model?

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Last time I mentioned propane, GD told me my neighborhood would asplode if I even thought about propane.  There were many uses of the word "kaboom".
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Last time I mentioned propane, GD talk me my neighborhood would asplode if I even thought about propane.  There were many uses of the word "kaboom".

GD is fuel ignorant.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Natural gas is a little bit more complicated due to the heavy tank [the pressure inside is enormous],but almost all of the taxi drivers are on natural gas [metan ].

This.

It can't be that expensive, it is ridiculously common in Eastern Europe.  How safe it is, is a whole 'nother question.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#22]
If you don't care if it is EPA or Carb approved... (If the vehicle is over 2 years old.) I found these guys...

CNG Conversion Kits

A diesel kit for small diesels (pickup size and smaller) is under $500 and is dual fuel (Diesel/CNG) kit. Plus the tank and installation. The CNG compressor is
another $5k for at home fueling, but if you have a local CNG station, you won't need the CNG
Compressor.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Got Propane?

No can do in California.

Not smog legal

Stupid "green" state.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Why?
Gasoline is cheap, propane is expensive..
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got Propane?

No can do in California.

Not smog legal

Stupid "green" state.

...So?

I switched out my my headers, exhaust and intake every two years to have my Porsches smogged when I had them and I swap out the CAI on my Yoda every two years to get it smogged and then turn around and switch it back as soon as I get home, the 22R kit is so easy you could switch it out every year or two for smog in only an hour or two.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 3:35:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Last time I mentioned propane, GD talk me my neighborhood would asplode if I even thought about propane.  There were many uses of the word "kaboom".

Are RVs exploding like Chinese firecrackers on the Fourth of July?  A properly designed and built propane conversion will not kill you.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 3:39:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I have seen a Home CNG filling station set up that used a normal homehold Nat Gas line.  I think it took a few hours to fill a cars tank due to compression.

Link to a news report on them
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 3:48:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why?
Gasoline is cheap, propane is expensive..

Propane is cheaper than gas, if you buy at the right place.  Around here people are paying about $2.25gal for propane and $1.40 for a gas gallon equivalent of cng.

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:00:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:05:35 AM EDT
[#30]
So the question I have is:

If I get 35-40mpg highway on 87 octane gas.   What is a realistic mpg equivalent I would get using Propane/Natural Gas?
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:06:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:42:18 AM EDT
[#32]
I'd love a duel fuel CNG deuce and a half with huge tanks in the bed.

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:49:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If I get 35-40mpg highway on 87 octane gas.   What is a realistic mpg equivalent I would get using Propane/Natural Gas?

Propane should be about 80%, cng should be about the same.

A gallon of propane has something 81% of the BTU's as a gallon of gas.  Cng is marketed in gas gallon equivalent units, so there would presumably be no difference.

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:49:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You lose about 10% with propane over gasoline so you would get about 31.5 to 36 MPG.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:53:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Really wish I could convert my truck to coal.

Less than 1/6th the cost per BTU of gasoline.

Buy a Volt or a Leaf.

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:59:46 AM EDT
[#36]
There was DIY page for a guy that converted a V-6 Buick.  It didn't look too hard.  He just used the fuel injection system  to deliver the gas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top