Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2002 5:43:59 PM EDT
I was at the gun show today, and came across the table of a man openly selling .308 armor piercing ammunition (black tip).  I don't profess to know every aspect of all the gun laws, but I was under the impression that armor piercing ammunition in .308 was illegal.

When I asked the vendor about this, he said that federal laws don't apply to him; only state laws.  He said that he is neither a federal employee nor conducting business with the federal government, so federal [u]rules[/u] (i.e. administrative code, or ATF rules) don't apply to him.  I've probably spent more time in college doing legal research than he will in a lifetime, and he became very defensive when I laughed after he told me this.  I'm sure some of you have seen him at the San Antonio shows before.  Is he right, or is he a crackpot?

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#4]
He's right. Unconstitutional laws are null and void.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#5]
308 AP ammo is not illegal.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#6]
According to the law, it is illegal to MANUFACTURE ARMOR PIERCING PROJECTILES in certain calibers. It is legal to buy, sell, trade, etc. loaded ammunition or components containing ap bullets.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
308 AP ammo is not illegal.
View Quote

BATF's position is that ANY CALIBER in which a pistol is chambered is restricted under the AP ammo law.  This is why  you don't see steel core 7.62x39mm ammo anymore, as an AR manufacturer produced a few PROTOTYPE (i.e. never even offered for sale) AR pistols in this caliber.

IIRC, Thompson makes a single shot pistol in .308, therefore, if you believe the BATF, 7.62NATO is covered.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#8]
click[url=http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/legal/armor.htm]here for the federal law on armor piercing ammunition[/url]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It is against federal law for [b]an FFL[/b] to sell AP ammo to anyone but gubmint or LEOs.  Normal folks can sell it without problems.

It is also illegal for anyone BUT properly-licensed FFLs to manufacture AP projectiles, and then only for gubmint sales.  But there are no restrictions on surplussed projectiles.

Note that .30-06 M2 AP is legally exempted, as is M855 (because the latter is NOT AP).

-Troy
View Quote
BINGO!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top