Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2002 3:58:42 PM EDT
It was awesome, it was a guy, about 19, that my dad knew. My dad told him that i was going into either the Army or Marines after high school, and i wanted to be artillery. Well it just so happens this guy is artillery in the Marines. So he stops by my house, tells me the real story, instead of some bs a recruiter might give me. It was awesome, he had videos of them on excercises and an entire photo album full of his time so far as a Marine. Suprisingly what he said wasnt too far off from how i imagined it would be, and ill probably enlist in one of the two before summer comes to an end. Just thought id share this positive experience...the guy was great, didnt try to act like some big hardass or anything like i know some can, really left a positive impact on me...
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I always enjoy talking to guys about their military service.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#2]
It was a small shock to me when i arrived at Great Lakes navel traning center(boot)
but no matter what the outcome it was better than if i stayed in jersey,all my friends were getting into drugs and i wanted no part of it.
Basic was not what i was told it would be ,but that didn't matter to me i adapted and knew that i was doing something positive and that my so called friends were wasting their lives or losing their lives.
I attribute the courage to leave to the man who gave me the lessons that i live by to this day,my Dad.
He was the best of men and served our country in WWII,and taught me right from wrong,sometimes at the expense of being able to sit down ,LOL
I miss you Dad.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are going into the Marines I would urge you not to go into artillery, it is almost a dieing MOS.  Because of the amount of time from the last major war, and some political things going on artillery is becoming less relevant today, this will have an adverse effect if we fight another major ground war.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top