Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2002 1:57:20 PM EDT
I've decided it would be a Good Thing to have a serious unit in working order (I have a ratty old M-17 I wouldn't really trust)so I have been studying up, and these three have caught my eye (all these can be bought New from the manufacturer):
FS- M40 (a copy of the military model made by the same contractor);
MSA Millenium (sort of like the MCU-2P but in black; made by the Gov't contractor);
MCU-2P (Military model made by Gov't contractor)

Anybody have any experience or recomondations? Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The [url=www.micronelsafety.com/m95.htm]Micronel M95[/url] gets really high marks from all the research I've done. They go for ~$250-270 with a filter cartridge.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#2]
i also chose the m95, but seem to remember it being under 200.00 with filter. i have had it for a while though. maybe you can still find them on the cheap.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone else?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#4]
save your money...   By the time you realize you need them you'll be too far gone to bother...

Or not!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Call me a freak or prepared I think this falls under the post of excessive purchases but I have 6 MCU 2/P masks and love em. Sometimes I chase the kids around in them. Great field of view.

Also have 2 M40's they look evil and go good with the AR15

[flame]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I left out the evil looks reqirement... though the MCU-2P with the shade added IS quite sinister...
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Call me a freak or prepared I think this falls under the post of excessive purchases but I have 6 MCU 2/P masks and love...

you're a freak. where do you keep $1000 worth of gas masks, in the trunk of your ferrari with the ankas chemical warfare detector?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#9]
you're a freak. where do you keep $1000 worth of gas masks, in the trunk of your ferrari with the ankas chemical warfare detector?

They come in handy when some towel head spreads anthrax around and the cattle start payin $300 - $500 bucks for them and $100 a filter.

They were purchased cheap and serve as a good invesment.

But yes I am a freak.  [whacko]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#10]
>> They come in handy when some towel head spreads anthrax around and the cattle start payin $300 - $500 bucks for them and $100 a filter.

>> They were purchased cheap and serve as a good invesment.

>> But yes I am a freak.

ah ha! good point. didn't think of it that way.  maybe a few should 'disappear' from work...
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#11]
The cheapest I found the M95 is about $168.00 and the filter is $22.00 at this web site [url]www.surviveamerica.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Hello. My first post, but I've been around quite a while. Contrary to my nomiker, I am a chemical officer nowadays, not Field Artillery anymore, and so I deal with masks quite often. Personally, I'd stay away from the M-40. Terribly uncomfortable for me anyway, and depending on when and by whom they were manufactured, some have faulty rubber. I would recommend the MCU-2. It's what I use, and have taken it through the live agent chamber at Leonard Wood many times. Unlike most civilian models, it is possible to drink while wearing it, which is important, and has a great field of view.

No matter which you get, make sure it accepts standard NATO filiters, keep extras on hand, remeber the C2a1 filter is the best on the planet, but above all else, remember that there may be no warning in the event you need it, and remember also that a mask by itself is not going to save you by itself. many agents absorb through the skin, so a chem suit may be something you want to think about also.

That's my $.02, anyway. Hope it's of some use.

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree with Cpt Redleg (Sir!) and add that you should buy an extra filter to test your new mask with. Leave the other filter sealed.

When the SHTF it's too late to learn how to don your mask or change filters. Learn now while you have the time.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#14]
The gas mask would be in response to what??

I mean is this something to have just in case of...???

Unless you're going into a hazardous material line of work or waiting for the tear gas canisters to be lobbed throught the window, I don't see the value. If it's biological warfare, I've heard masks are too little, too late.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been in MOPP4 for hours at a time. It was an ordeal. Remember you have to replace the whole suit every so often. I don't think I could do it for an extended period of time. No good news I guess but a reality. John
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#16]
just get the cheapest gas mask you can find.

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The gas mask would be in response to what??

I mean is this something to have just in case of...???

Unless you're going into a hazardous material line of work or waiting for the tear gas canisters to be lobbed throught the window, I don't see the value. If it's biological warfare, I've heard masks are too little, too late.
View Quote

It's for when the JBTs teargas your compound. Duh.

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's a GREAT resource:
(I took a few first-responder courses from 'em)

[url]www.ASOD.org[/url]

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#19]
[url]www.approvedgasmasks.com[/url] These guys are the big military and LE supplier. Good prices and big selection. The SGE 1000 is featherweight. I got to handle one recently amnd I will be purchasing one soon.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here's a GREAT resource:
(I took a few first-responder courses from 'em)

[url]www.ASOD.org[/url]

View Quote

Just FYI: While their classes might be great, immediately after the September 11th attacks, ASOD posted a notice on their web site that they would only be selling product to people who took or had taken their classes. They also raised the price of the M95 masks by about $20 or $25. When I asked about it in the Gear and Accessories forum over at Assaultweb after they posted what was basically an ad, I was blown off. This was, of course, ten months ago, and the thread is no longer there.

It just seemed like a pretty lousy way to cash in at the time. While their supplier might have raised prices, the stock on hand was still purchased at the pre-September 11 prices, and making people take a class to buy a mask is asinine, and I believe speaks for itself.

You may view it differently, but it damned sure left a bad taste in my mouth.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Here in MI, I can go to Dunham's Sporting goods and pick up a brand new iraeli import and a new filter for 30 bucks.  Been thinking about it too.  Maybe as a conversation peice or just something to scare the hell out of my future kids when they are older.

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Just FYI: While their classes might be great, immediately after the September 11th attacks, ASOD posted a notice on their web site that they would only be selling product to people who took or had taken their classes. They also raised the price of the M95 masks by about $20 or $25. When I asked about it in the Gear and Accessories forum over at Assaultweb after they posted what was basically an ad, I was blown off. This was, of course, ten months ago, and the thread is no longer there.

It just seemed like a pretty lousy way to cash in at the time. While their supplier might have raised prices, the stock on hand was still purchased at the pre-September 11 prices, and making people take a class to buy a mask is asinine, and I believe speaks for itself.

You may view it differently, but it damned sure left a bad taste in my mouth.
View Quote

Jarhead_22,

I think you may have misinterpreted their policy.  

When I inquired about the policy back in October, Jade (the owner) told me that their supplies were limited and were limiting sales to prior clients/agencies only until they could get more inventory.  

(we ordered a dozen masks at the time and the price paid was $199 per mask including an M95 NBC filter -- I believe that their price is still the same)

Their course is GREAT ..  
Definitely worth taking if you don't have to travel far.

They are really good folk...  
(I'm kinda biased ---> I really like 'em [:D])
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:39:55 AM EDT
[#23]
How does the Israeli mask rate?  It is priced right, and comes in child size also, so I could get a few for the kids.

What I am actually concerned about is a terrorist cell hitting something like a chemical plant, etc..  There is some industry near wher I live.  Putting aside terrorism, there has been at least one mandatory limited residential evacuation since I moved here.  Also, when I was in high school we got a day off school for the "chemical plant fire."

So even without the 911 concern, masks may not be a bad idea.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:18:15 AM EDT
[#24]
M95 is the cadillac of gas masks.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Jarhead_22,

When I inquired about the policy back in October, Jade (the owner) told me that their supplies were limited and were limiting sales to prior clients/agencies only until they could get more inventory.  

(we ordered a dozen masks at the time and the price paid was $199 per mask including an M95 NBC filter -- I believe that their price is still the same)

Their course is GREAT ..  

View Quote

As I said, you may view it differently. At the time, there was no mention of "this policy is in effect only until we get more inventory on hand." When asked about it, ASOD denied it on Assaultweb, regardless of the big red letters across the top of the NBC masks page of their website.

You may very well have gotten your masks, since you took their classes, at the original price. The price on their site now shows $199, but it was raised to around $235 or so shortly after September 11th.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:09:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#27]
It seems after 9/11 the price of gas masks never quite came back down, despite the declining interest.  Anyone know who has the lowest price for these quality gas masks and filters, as well as NBC suits?  
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
M95 is the Cadillac of gas masks.
View Quote
If this is true, let me know what the Toyota of gas masks is, I would prefer one that works..[:D]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jarhead_22,

Their course is GREAT ..  

View Quote

As I said, you may view it differently. At the time, there was no mention of "this policy is in effect only until we get more inventory on hand." When asked about it, ASOD denied it on Assaultweb, regardless of the big red letters across the top of the NBC masks page of their website.

You may very well have gotten your masks, since you took their classes, at the original price. The price on their site now shows $199, but it was raised to around $235 or so shortly after September 11th.
View Quote

Oh...  I hate to do this...[:D]

Check Botach for the M95 (on sale for $125)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top