Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2002 11:15:13 AM EDT
Is it really possible to own a rifle within the confines of NYC?

Brief background - I'm a gun aficionado(it sounds better than the concise "gun nut") who grew up in this beautiful yet disgusting city. Gun ownership has been verboten here, so I wanted to get as far away as possible.

Well, as luck has it, April comes and the best school I get accepted to...is Columbia!(I applied purely for financial and admissions considerations - I had some pull at this place)

So I'm stuck here for four years - good school, good education, horrible gun laws. Cripes!

Anyway, I've been going over the gun control provisions of the NYC administrative code - putting this law library to good use.

Online, it's summarized [url=http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&ID=56]here[/url]
and part is available
[url=http://www.nysrpa.org/nyc-admincode.pdf]here[/url]

Now, it's common knowledge that it's impossible to get a carry license unless you have good connections or somebody is stalking you and sending you piles of death threats(and even then I suspect it's a crapshoot).
This is because the applicant must show "proper cause" for the issuance of the license.

Fine, I'm not even 21, and I hope to move out close to my 21st birthday, so I don't really give a hoot about the handgun provisions.

But the rifle permit does not require such "probable cause"!!!

Section 10-303

a. No person shall be denied a permit to purchase and possess a rifle or shotgun unless the applicant:

(1) under the age of eighteen; or
(2) is not of good moral character; or
(3) has not been convicted anywhere of a felony or of a serious effense; or
(4) has not stated whether he or she has ever suffered any mental illness or been confined to any hospital or institution, public or private, for mental illness; or
(5) is not now free from any mental disorders, defects or diseases that would impair the ability; or
(6) Unless good cause exists for the denial of the permit.
View Quote

#6 has me worried.
This is really the part I question. Is this clause abused by the PD to deny any and all requests, or is it really possible to own a rifle?
I know there's a few NYPD on this board. Waverunner, can you guys help me out here?
Thanks in advance, it's really appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#1]
You should not have any problem with obtaining thr required shotgun/rifle licenses.  Columbia is a great school and they have a rifle team as well.  

Under NYS law you may also shoot a pistol at a range under the supervision of an instructor.  You might have to shoot at a range in Westchester or Long Island though. I'm sure the rifle team instructors have all the information you'll need to get started.

[url]http://www.columbia.edu/cu/rifle/[/url]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You should not have any problem with obtaining thr required shotgun/rifle licenses.  Columbia is a great school and they have a rifle team as well.  

Under NYS law you may also shoot a pistol at a range under the supervision of an instructor.  You might have to shoot at a range in Westchester or Long Island though. I'm sure the rifle team instructors have all the information you'll need to get started.

[url]http://www.columbia.edu/cu/rifle/[/url]
View Quote

[:O][:D][^]

Whoa. I did not know that. Gotta make a beeline for them come september.

Much obliged, sir. These 4 years will be far better than I expected.
HoooooooRAH!
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Drop the "sir"! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
By the way, would you happen to know anybody currently on the team or affiliated with it? Their site is 7 years old and both individuals mentioned have since moved on - I'm beginning to fear that they may now be defunct - which would explain why I never saw a rifle team listed anywhere in student activities or the athletic website.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top