Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2002 8:36:43 PM EDT
I have a  90 year old vet next door who served in south Africa, Italy, France, and Germany during WWII. He was in the Air Corp. I want to record his stories on tape because I see that time as a very important lesson in history and the thought of him passing without a permanent record is unexcusable. How can I approach him with the the recording concept without freaking him and his family out? Also, where do I send these tapes after I record the,?

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Do yourself a favor, forget it. I once met aq WW 1 aviator who flew with the Redbaron.  There are many such stories if you look around, you can either write a heck of a book or drive yourself batty trying to capture them all.  

First you will need permission to tape ( in writting and tell them why you want to do it) -- if it just because you think its a tragedy then look around there are many such tragedies.  The next question is what do you intend to do with the information you collect? If you don't know -- don't start.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I would tell him how I learned about the fact of him being a WW2 vet to start with, and plainly ask him if he'd like to tell about his experience, and if he minds me taking notes, of which copies would be made available to his heirs and his unit's historians. In his place, I'd greatly prefer someone taking notes instead of taping it. Tapes freak me out :S
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it's a highly worthwhile thing to do.

Show the man plenty of respect and explain why his experiences are so important to hear. He can always say no, but I would imagine that given the proper approach, he'd be flattered that our generation would be so interested in something he did so long ago for America.

I wouldn't let the opportunity pass you by. If I had the chance I would definately do the same.

If you can believe this, I met a man who volunteered to fight in the Spanish Civil War. He signed up to fight fascism, to fight for a cause that didn't directly effect him, but something he believed in. He was quite eager to tell his story, and it was one of the most fascinating tales I've ever had the chance to hear.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
My Uncle was a POW.He was captured on Batan.My mom told me he was pretty pissed for a long time.He talked to me and told me his stories.I found out later I was the only one he really talked to it about.

I'm just saying to take it easy.You may not be the one he wants to talk to if he had a rough time.Then agian you might.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#5]
My great uncle served on PT boats during WW2.  I never heard about it until after he died.  He apparently survived two of them going down, and lost a few good friends.  It was not something he liked to remember I guess.  Too bad [:(]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I havent read all the replies someone may have already said this, but here goes.

Write his stories down. Go over and explain to him that you are a Red Blooded Freedom Loving American and would be very interested in hearing his stories sometime. Break out the Notepad and do some transcription. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I did something similiar to this when I was in college for some history classes. Everyone I asked I already knew so it was basically no prob.

I did tape mine, no paper as I wanted their voice inflictions & emotions. You miss that on paper.

What I would do is tell the guy how much you admire his service, perhaps tell you were in whatever branch & ask him if he'd be so kind as to regale you with some "sea stories". Offer a small libation, if necessary or appropriate.

As for the recorder, get a small one & put it where it's not directly in front of him so he won't focus on it or even be aware of it.

It may take a few settings to get most of it. Good luck & I hope you get it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I did this in college with a guy who went hunting with my Grandfater and his Dad.

I learned a lot, and heard stories that are never told (Slave raiders in Ohio, etc)

You should pursue this. Death is a thing that cannot be reversed, and his silence will be forever. Just start by talking to the guy, and et it happen from there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top