Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2002 9:42:43 AM EDT
[url]http://www.sacbee.com/state_wire/story/3392439p-4418640c.html[/url]

WEST GLACIER, Mont. (AP) - Two people hiking in Glacier National Park were attacked and injured Saturday when they surprised a grizzly bear along a backcountry trail, park officials said.
View Quote

I blame this on the anti-gun conspiracy.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer to hike in the Bob Marshall vs. Glacier National Park since they do allow you to carry firearms.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a good thing it was a gun free zone.

Think how bad things might have been otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#3]
That's gotta hurt!
[img]http://www.udap.com/images/Mark%20head%20big.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#4]

[i]"Haver saw the bear about [b]10 feet away[/b]...[/i]

A grizzly will cover that distance in less than one second (not to mention a pissed off one!).

Unless you got a .338 mag already shouldered, ready and aiming at him, a gun would have been useless in this situation.

They both walked out of the woods alive - don't blame the gun laws.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Why is he wearing camo if he is in a gun free zone (ie, not hunting)?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why is he wearing camo if he is in a gun free zone (ie, not hunting)?
View Quote

Because that is not a photo of the 19 year old in the story.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I think Grizzlys are cool. Go Bears!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Good answer.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank God it was a gun-free zone! I don't think the hikers would have had a chance if the bear had a gun.

I'm guessing that the hikers were trying to pet the bear, and then it became a forest love-fest and the bear just got too carried away.

THAT is real heavy petting!!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank God it was a gun-free zone! I don't think the hikers would have had a chance if the bear had a gun.
View Quote

Hey, the right to keep and arm bears shall not be infringed!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#11]
They used to say "Its tough to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

I guess this thread illustrates  the exception to the rule.

Bear - 1

Idiot - 0

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Only forest fires can prevent bears...

[img]http://www.smokeybear.com/images/hom_frame.gif[/img]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#13]
When hiking in bear country carrying a Ultimate couldn't hurt.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid9/p69e21b5634b0e26b5d965854c299861f/fe27015a.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I just had a dream about a bear ban too. Time to truck them back up north... acckk[puke]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#15]
My friend that goes hiking in the back woods wears these Christmas bells on his boots to warn bears that is coming.

OT: A few years ago, I was at the top of Nevada Falls in Yesomite, and there was a mother bear and her cub, there was also a dad and his son. The dad wanted the son to stand next to the bear cub to take a picture. While the dad was in the process of taking the picture, the cub snatched the backpack on the little boy, and the boy was trying to get it back from the cub.... No one was hurt, but potentially this could have been very tragic. Some people are not too outdoor-wise, they think they are in zoo with bars.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When hiking in bear country carrying a Ultimate couldn't hurt.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid9/p69e21b5634b0e26b5d965854c299861f/fe27015a.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Only if you file down the sites. If you don't, that could REALLY hurt when the bear rams it up your ass.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#17]
College buddy from Alaska had a cousin mauled by a Grizzly back in 1984, I believe.  He and a bunch of other people were hiking, making a bunch of noise to ward off bears, and damn if one did not pop up right over a small rise in the trail.  

Everyone scattered, making like a fleur de lis, and the beer chased down Doug's cousin, who fell to the ground in a face-down, back arched position.  The beer sniffed around, then started batting him around like a cat will sock a ball around the carpet.  It was playing with him, and his friends, though shouting and trying to distract the animal, could still hear the occasional sound of fracturing bones with each paw strike.

The bear eventually got the young man's head in its mounth.  He soiled himself, but amazingly, he was still conscious.  He told Doug that he would never forget the heat and the smell of the Grizzly's breath.

The bear let him go, or more accurately, spit him out, then sauntered down the trail.  Besides several fractures in various places, Doug's cousin had his scalp laid open and had to have it stitched back into place.  Still has a few bald spots.

I was going to visit Doug that summer and go backpacking.  Didn't go due to $$$ concerns and keeping my job, but I still have the Rem 700 BDL in .458 Win Mag that I purchased for the trip.  

Then I heard about a Grizzly almost beating a quarter horse in a 100-yd dash.  Bad day to be riding, and The_Macallan is right...if you don't have the weapon ready to go, Mr. Griz will overwhelm with stunning velocity.

v/r, Cruzado
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Only if you file down the sites. If you don't, that could REALLY hurt when the bear rams it up your ass.

View Quote

LOL!!

Mac -

Shame on you!!!!!!

But yer right. AS is the bear is gonna wonder why little puffs of dirt keep jumping up at him each time you pull the trigger.

Not enuf to slow the bear down as he is inserting said firearm in your rectum.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey the bears have to eat too.  :)  

God put some animals on this earth that man has to learn some respect for and use some common sense when walking thru their living rooms.  

Firearms won't solve all situations, that is why God gave (some of) us brains and hopefully a little higher intellect than the beasts that he put under us back in Genesis.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I was hiking in the Bob Marshall with a .44 my cousin loaned me.  When I got back to the camp I unloaded the weapons since several of my younger cousin were there.  Early the next morning my cousin used the gun while fishing. I borrowed it again and started off on my own.  I got about a mile from camp and decided to verify that my cousin had  reloaded the weapon.  He had not.  

I began thinking how bad it would have been to try to defend myself with an unloaded weapon.

click, click, click, click, ....shit
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Wouldn't that have been "Darwinian"? HEH....
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I would think not all bear attacks come in distances of ten feet. The man who built the weapon, Gary Reeder of Gary Reeder Custom Guns must have thought so too, hence the sight. You everyday big bad bear hunters you.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

[i]"Haver saw the bear about [b]10 feet away[/b]...[/i]

A grizzly will cover that distance in less than one second (not to mention a pissed off one!).

Unless you got a .338 mag already shouldered, ready and aiming at him, a gun would have been useless in this situation.

They both walked out of the woods alive - don't blame the gun laws.
View Quote

I gotta agree with Mac 100% on this one. Either way, these two were screwed to start with.

A .44 mag would probably work if you hit the bear in the right spot. Otherwise you just pissed him off.

-legrue

Btw, people in bear country call pepper spray "flavoring" and bells on shoes "gift wrap".

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 12:03:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Btw, people in bear country call pepper spray "flavoring" and bells on shoes "gift wrap".
View Quote

I remember a story about a bush pilot who dropped off a tourist for a day of fishing.  As he was taking off, he saw the tourist thrashing around in the brush.  The pilot thought a bear was mauling him and came back to help.  When he got there, the fisherman was writhing in pain, but no bear.  "Damn!  This bear repellent hurts like a bitch!"  Fool had applied it like mosquito spray.  

And those Christmas bells dont work.  Bears kind of tune that stuff out, biologists have learned.  What they listen for is rustling in the brush, or snapping twigs.  My dad once planted his bear bell into a pile of bear flop on the hiking trail as a practical joke. Wrist watches and dentures are favorites for that old gag, too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 1:18:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone seen "Big Bear" lately?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 1:57:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Forget the guns and bells,a great pair of running shoes and a slower running hiking partner is (KS4)remedy for walking in bear country.

P.S. thanks Paul Newman you have the best spagetti sauce out except for the $5.00 a jar up here.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Punchline to ye olde joke:

Bear to hunter: you aren't really here to hunt, are you?

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top