Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2012 8:57:22 AM EDT
Anyone been there? I could end up spending the next few years of my life there for work. It seems cold and harsh, not conducive to a young mans single life style.

Coast Guard related.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#1]
What for?  Mining?
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Coast Guard, forgot to include that in my original post.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Think off it this way: when everyone else is grabbing their BOB, you just sit in your easy chair and watch the world go by.

The Soo Locks aren't the lowest target on the list but they don't rank near the top either.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anyone been there? I could end up spending the next few years of my life there for work. It seems cold and harsh, not conducive to a young mans single life style.

Coast Guard related.

pretty sure they have high speed internet access up there
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy a Snow Mobile. It's beautiful, but not swinging year round if your more into city life. Summer should not be bad since there are a lot of tourists in the area in the summer months.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#6]
What's your thoughts on snow, eh?
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#7]
do you like to hook up with hot random chicks who are on vacation from other areas?
ones who will think that random coast guard guy is cool as fuck, and you must be just like the one coast guard guy in some movie they saw?
granted, you may have to travel around the up to pull this off, but seriously, if your young and motivated it shouldnt matter

id give my left fucking testical to be stationed up there, but the mil doesnt apparently want my testical

the hunting fishing and outdoor rec available is amazing
and mi is mg and supressor friendly
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Enjoy it, especially if its only a few years. Are you a hunter or fisherman? Plenty of deer and bear to be had, and the fishing is great. Lots of hiking. Me, i would love it. Depends on your lifestyle.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#9]
My son is stationed there on the Buoy Tender Buckthorn.
I sent you his username via email.

Also, He is from WA, last stationed on the Polar Star? Polar Sea? In Seattle.
Hell I can't remember now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Canadian girls are just across the river.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#11]
+1 on the snow mobile. The summers are great too. Take up deer hunting if you don't already. Deer hunting is a religion in Northern MI.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Great place to be if you like the outdoors there's something to do year round, camping, hiking. snowmobiling, fishing, 4x4ing and the like, people come from all over to play in the UP. Snowmobiling is a huge part of the winter season. The "Soo" International 500 Snowmobile Race is hosted there and the Snowmobile/OHV trail system covers most of the state.

ETA: The "cold and harsh" winters really aren't that bad, the UP tends to get a lot more snowfall than down state but they're better (IMHO) than Eastern Montana/Dakota winters. I'd love to live up there if the job market was better.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Its been about ten years since i was up there, but i remember the women keep their winter weight on all year.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Its been about ten years since i was up there, but i remember the women keep their winter weight on all year.  Have fun!

There is a simple answer to that, they provide shade in the summer with the winter weight.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#15]
It's not that bad up here, Just stick to apartments when you rent. The BAH will cover the cost(depending on rank), and there are plenty of people renting out rooms as well.
As for single life you will do fine, there is a large college population here.
This winter has been pretty mild compared to past seasons, where you coming from?
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#16]
It's Mother-fing COLD up there.

C O L D

This Virginian can't wait to move back to more temperate climes.

Michigan is the land where winter never ends.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#17]
How is it no one has told him the truth yet, I've been to the Soo and all over the U.P. many times in the dark of winter and I've one phrase for you, OP... Snow Cows...

In all seriousness OP, I love the U.P. and am giving real thought to relocating over the Bridge when I retire next year, Gitche Gumee is beautiful no matter what time of the year and I watch the Locks on webcam here:  https://webcam.crrel.usace.army.mil/soo/  I'm up every year for Engineer's Day at the Locks, the hunting and pasties in the U.P. make the bit of cold you get each year worthwhile...

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How is it no one has told him the truth yet, I've been to the Soo and all over the U.P. many times in the dark of winter and I've one phrase for you, OP... Snow Cows...

and tundra pigs in the summer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Was stationed at K.I. before they closed it. We could get 30+ inches of snow over night back in the day. Winters aren't so bad anymore.

Get out and see the sights, go camping, hiking, hunting, and tour the U.P. you'll be surprised at how much is up there to see and do.

LW
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Getting to live in the UP and making a living at it is a GIFT.

Sault St. Marie is kind of a hole, as far as towns go, but everything that is great about the UP is not far away. I love the UP.

You have to eat and drink the beer at Tequamenon Falls. It's a micro brewry on state land. Very good food, and awesome beer.

Great snowmachining around Munising and out to Grand Island. Better either know what you're doing or go with someone who does before venturing out onto the lake.

Not sure if they still do it, but the UP200 dog race is something to see.

Again, not sure if it's every year but the ice climbing festival at Pictured Rocks was pretty cool to try out.

I would love to live in the UP if there were a way to make the money I make now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#21]
If you like fishing, boating, hiking, hunting, snowmobiling or any combination thereof to any degree, you hit the jackpot.

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#22]
There aint shit there...Canadians and Barges.
and yeah...most winters get pretty cold....The Canadian side (I detest to say) has more..."entertainment" for a single person....but it'll cost ya...
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
+1 on the snow mobile. The summers are great too. Take up deer hunting if you don't already. Deer hunting is a religion in Northern MI.

more like in ALL of Michigan!!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't worry: Lake Superior State University is in the Soo.  And Mackinac Island - full of college girls in the summer - is an hour away.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#25]
As my brother who lived there for a little while put it: "the local economy consists of bars and bars."

Prisons and pubs. Kinda a depressing area if you like warmer weather or an exciting life. Soo Canada is a bigger town and has more amenities. A lot of the area outside the town is on a reservation as well, so that has its issues.  

Definitely buy a sled. There are a lot of good trails in the UP. If you like outdoor activities then its your place. Just accept that for six months of the year it is going to be cold and snowing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Oh so close to........MILK IN BAGS !!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Keep in mind that the vampire population tends to swell in Winter because it's dark 24/7 there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I graduated from Lake Superior State University and I lived in "the Soo" for four years.  LSSU has an NCAA Div. 1 hockey team and they play Western Michigan tonight at 7:00 PM EST. you can listen at a local radio station here.  This is the local paper The Soo Evening News.

It's a layed back city of about 16000, hunting (deer and grouse) and fishing are popular.  The Salmon run in the fall and the Smelt (Smelt dipping) run in the spring, fly fishing is good.  Lots of places to camp, and you will most likely see an Aurora if you haven't yet.  You can get a foreclosed house for as little as $20 K and fix it up, thats what I would do.  The crime rate is nothing to worry about and they publish police activity in the paper here.  The locals have a saying "we have nine months of winter and three months of poor sledding."  It does snow a lot and it's too cold for salt so they use cinders instead (no salt ever).  Don't park your car into the wind if it's snowing b/c the engine compartment might fill up with wind driven snow and the car will quit after it melts some.

I liked living there a lot, have fun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As my brother who lived there for a little while put it: "the local economy consists of bars and bars."

Prisons and pubs. Kinda a depressing area if you like warmer weather or an exciting life. Soo Canada is a bigger town and has more amenities. A lot of the area outside the town is on a reservation as well, so that has its issues.   .

Portage Street has about a half dozen bars, maybe, it just seems like a lot because they are all together on one block.  The prisons are in Kincheloe about  25 south on 75 and Newberry which is about 40 miles east.

Some "of the area outside the town is on a reservation as well, so that has its issues."  Ya, if you drive through Brimley the speed limit is 25 mph because they walk on the road and Brimley is 15 miles east.  The only Native American issue I can think of is they have different hunting and fishing rights because of a treaty.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Went there many times as a kid.

You know, enough to know it is pronounced "SOO."

Oh, and yes, as another reply noted: COLD AS FUCK.

Summers are nice though.

All five days of it.

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#31]
It's a big vacation spot in the summer, you'll have plenty of chances to get laid by good lookin women in the summer.

I can imagine the winter is pretty miserably cold there.

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Always wanted to be stationed in the UP or northern MI in general.   Not too many GM billets in MI in the 90's and early 2000's.   While on TRATEAM East (MLE) in 00-02 we covered every station/cutter in the 9th district so at least I got to spend some time at home.   (loaner sleds abound)
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Doesn't sound too bad after all. Thank you all for the input!

And it is a GM3 billet at the Sector there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#34]
There is a little dive drive in burger joint under the MI side of the bridge.  

Best fish sammiches I have ever had in my life.  

Dammit, now I am craving a few fish sammiches.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#35]
My FTO on the police dept was from Mackinaw Island. From what he said the summers are very busy time with loads of tourists.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Summer in the Soo is great.  In fact, I spent the whole summer there one weekend.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#37]
It's pretty great all around up there except like everybody said, the chicks are all fat.(locals)
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Summer in the Soo is great.  In fact, I spent the whole summer there one weekend.

You mean you missed the other three days of summer?

Bummer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Michigan does not have snow all the time, sometimes the black flies and mosquitoes will make a real impression on you too!
Tuco
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#40]
My first experience with biting flies was in the UP.  Plenty of hunting and fishing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Pasties!
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Hope you like big women.

DP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top