Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2012 8:50:53 AM EDT
Naming a LCS the "Gabrielle Giffords" must have been the last straw.

Story Link

Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, under fire from Congress and veterans for naming ships after fellow Democrats and social activists, plans to announce another round of ship names in the near future that will be more traditional, a Pentagon official tells The Washington Times.

The official said Mr. Mabus has chosen names for five surface ships - three for war heroes and two for locations. Ships typically are named after states and cities.

<Continued in link>

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Among the first orders of business for the next administration is to fix what this fuckwit did in naming ships.  Even to the point of renaming them if they've been christened.  Bad luck, I know, but it is the only way to stop the USS Chavez from setting sail.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a military guy, but the ship naming has descended into faggotry. I suppose it's too much to ask to use historical ship names, places, and war heros.

And if the British ever did anything right, they figured out how to name fucking warships.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The official said Mr. Mabus has chosen names for five surface ships - three for war heroes and two for locations. Ships typically are named after states and cities.

<Continued in link>

lol what

Also, there's no "return to tradition". He's not admitting he fucked up.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Why would you name a ship after ANYONE who was the victim of a surprise and almost fatal attack?  I mean, isn't that tempting the fates a bit?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why would you name a ship after ANYONE who was the victim of a surprise and almost fatal attack?  I mean, isn't that tempting the fates a bit?

No, it means that our ship can take a chinese anti ship missile straight to the boiler room and....

Then require months of rehab to even talk???

Daniel
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Why would you name a ship after ANYONE who was the victim of a surprise and almost fatal attack? I mean, isn't that tempting the fates a bit?

The battlecruiser HMS Invincible faired well.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#7]
So does that mean we'll never see a USS Obama?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Ray Mabus was an utter failure as Governor, and he's lowering the bar as SECNAV to depths that even I never expected of him.

They need to either re-name the U.S.S. Cesar Chavez or use it as a target, because the idea of having one of our ships plying the seas with that name on it is just incredibly embarrassing.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It's traditional to name carriers after Presidents.

And why does Ford get an entire class named after him? While not exactly a bad president he didn't do anything amazing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ray Mabus was an utter failure as Governor, and he's lowering the bar as SECNAV to depths that even I never expected of him.

They need to either re-name the U.S.S. Cesar Chavez or use it as a target, because the idea of having one of our ships plying the seas with that name on it is just incredibly embarrassing.

I still can't believe they named a ship after him. It's like a bad dream.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

+1

I like the names of the USS Michael Murphy and USS Michael Monsoor.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They need to either re-name the U.S.S. Cesar Chavez

If the current admin does rename it, they will call it the Hugo Chavez.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Actually, I think it would be a good idea to start building Obama Class submarines. That way, you know you could get underwater fast and stay there for a very long time.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That depends.

Let's say that some Boot currently at either Parris Island or San Diego happens to have their last name being Obama.  It doesn't have to an officer or EM. And let's have him a native born Texan.  Several years from now this Gunnery Sergeant Obama will be Deployed somewhere, some place where things are going bang, boom, kablang and kapop.  American Interests are involved one way or another.  The Marines are sent in to help in some manner.  Gunnery Sergeant Obama  does something incredibly brave and makes the news of the minute.  He gets hurt doing so.  Maybe he lives, may he dies.  In honor of Gunnery Sergeant Obama 's bravery a future navel warship is named in his honor: The LCS Gunnery Sergeant Clint Obama.

It could happen.  Of course most of Arfcom will have a fit over the naming.  Too many will think the LCS is named after an idiot-savant that became President.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm not a military guy, but the ship naming has descended into faggotry. I suppose it's too much to ask to use historical ship names, places, and war heros.

And if the British ever did anything right, they figured out how to name fucking warships.

Damn right.

Just look at the ship names - in all three fleets, really.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn right.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Trafalgar_1200hr.svg/1000px-Trafalgar_1200hr.svg.png

Some of those names are fucking awesome!

Revenge, Defiance, Neptune.

Who in the fuck wouldn't want to serve on the HMS Revenge?

That's how we should name ships.

USS Hammer and the USS Whoopass

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#17]
So will there someday be a USS George HW Bush and a USS George W Bush? I think that might get kinda confusing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd really like to see a return to traditional ship naming, instead political masturbation.  For me, the tipping point was the USS. Gerald R. Ford.  I was somewhat annoyed by the USS. George H.W. Bush, but he did, at least, have a decent Naby connection,  But Gerry Ford?  Fuckin' REALLY?  A not-even-one-term President.... one who was not elected even... gets a freakin' CVN named after him?  For WHAT? Yes, I know he served in the Navy.  Not worth a ship naming, IMO

That shit has got to stop.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd really like to see a return to traditional ship naming, instead political masturbation.  For me, the tipping point was the USS. Gerald R. Ford.  I was somewhat annoyed by the USS. George H.W. Bush, but he did, at least, have a decent Naby connection,  But Gerry Ford?  Fuckin' REALLY?  A not-even-one-term President.... one who was not elected even... gets a freakin' CVN named after him?  For WHAT? Yes, I know he served in the Navy.  Not worth a ship naming, IMO

"Fish don't vote!" - Hyman G. Rickover
On why submarines came to be named after cities and states rather than ocean fish.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

And why does Ford get an entire class named after him? While not exactly a bad president he didn't do anything amazing.

No, it's not traditional the name carriers after Presidents. It's traditional to name them after awesome ships of US Naval history.

Like Hornet. And Enterprise. And Constellation. And Ranger.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Agreed.  Which also makes me laugh when people act as if this is a Democrat thing.  Republicans really started the political naming thing.  Heck - not just ships - Reagan Airport?  Really?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it's not traditional the name carriers after Presidents. It's traditional to name them after awesome ships of US Naval history.

The first 'President' ship I can think of is USS Franklin D. Roosevelt (CV-42) in the 40's.  Then JFK (CV 67) in the '60s.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucking A.  WE should have carriers named Dreadnaught, Victory, Enterprise, Juggernaught, Ajax

Cut out this political naming nonsense.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#24]
IT'S ABOUT TIME!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucking A.  WE should have carriers named Dreadnaught, Victory, Enterprise, Juggernaught, Ajax

No SSN Arock?

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every carrier on active duty today , with the exception of the Enterprise which is about to get mothballed and the Stennis, and Nimitz are named after a president.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Mabus should just name the next ships the USS Michael Jackson and USS Whitney Houston.  I figure they earned it just as well as Giffords did, and the Oprah voters will love it.  Better yet, just name the New Jersey the Whitney Houston, since she's from Jersey and it will make the ship more trendy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I can't imagine Chavez (were he still aline) even agreeing with it.  By all reports he hated every minute he was in the Navy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Every carrier on active duty today , with the exception of the Enterprise which is about to get mothballed and the Stennis, and Nimitz are named after a president.

And the majority of the predecessors weren't.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just because you did it yesterday doesn't mean it is now a tradition.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#31]
When are they gonna name one after me?

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#32]
What are the previous ships he has named and fucked up?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The first 'President' ship I can think of is USS Franklin D. Roosevelt (CV-42) in the 40's.  Then JFK (CV 67) in the '60s.

Correct.

He was never President but a number of ships were named for Benjamin Franklin, including two at one time (USS Franklin CV-13 and USS Bonhomme Richard CV-31).

USS Randolph CV-15 was named after Peyton Randolph, President of the First Continental Congress.

USS Hancock CV-19 was named after John Hancock, President of the Second Continental Congress.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What are the previous ships he has named and fucked up?

USS Murtha and USNS Chavez

The next five are going to be USS John Finn, USS Ralph Johnson, and USS Rafael Peralta, all 51s. And two LCS: Sioux City and Omaha.

Wonder why each of those DDG names didn't each warrant a ceremony as big as the naming of LCS-10 did.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
When are they gonna name one after me?

I think the USS Smash sounds good.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Two LCS will be Sioux City and Omaha.

Three Arleigh Burkes will be John Finn, Ralph Johnson, Rafael Peralta.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They need to either re-name the U.S.S. Cesar Chavez

If the current admin does rename it, they will call it the Hugo Chavez.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn right.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Trafalgar_1200hr.svg/1000px-Trafalgar_1200hr.svg.png

Some of those names are fucking awesome!

Revenge, Defiance, Neptune.

Who in the fuck wouldn't want to serve on the HMS Revenge?

That's how we should name ships.

USS Hammer and the USS Whoopass

+1000.  We used to be better about this.  Back in WWII we had the Enterprise, Yorktown, Hornet, and Wasp as carriers.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn straight. A sub named USS Canned Sunshine would be fucking awesome.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct.

He was never President but a number of ships were named for Benjamin Franklin, including two at one time (USS Franklin CV-13 and USS Bonhomme Richard CV-31).  

USS Randolph CV-15 was named after Peyton Randolph, President of the First Continental Congress.

USS Hancock CV-19 was named after John Hancock, President of the Second Continental Congress.

Bonhomme Richard was also the name of a famous U.S. Revolutionary War ship.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn right.

just noticed that there is an achilles in both fleets.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I would've named a Park after Giffords... A Navy ship makes no good sense, and just incenses.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#43]
U.S.S. Kenyan
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

America.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Good. Its a joke what they have been doing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not exactly.  Most U.S. aircraft carriers were not named after Presidents until the last half ofthe 20th century.  For example: Yorktown, Independence, Enterprise, Wasp, Ranger. Even the USS Shangri-La.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#47]
U.S.S. Git'er done

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#48]
No politicians.

We shouldn’t name American ships after politicians and yes that means former Commanders in Chief as well.
I prefer we name our ships and facilities after fallen service members, battles, states, cities, or American values (Enterprise, Constitution etc.)

If Secretary Mabus wanted to honor Representative Giffords then he should have had TBI clinic named after her.
This not the first naming controversy to occur during his tenure.
The USS John Murtha seems much worse USNS Cesar Chavez.

If we are considering Presidents for ship names then we need to wait at least until 25 years after their death,
Thankfully we have many ships named after American heroes.

Monk
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#49]
USS Taffy Three. A new class of DD, with keels laid to challenge any fucker who steps up.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
USS Taffy Three. A new class of DD, with keels laid to challenge any fucker who steps up.

A glorious sentiment, and I could not help but read that in Swearingen's voice, which made it even more glorious.  (ETA - except I mentally replaced Fucker with Cocksucker)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top