Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2002 2:56:45 AM EDT
Some here have argued that the US should end foreign alliances, aid, and focus solely on commerce, free of the baggage that accompanies international treaties and alliances. As good as that sounds, I believe it goes against human nature and as such, is doomed to failure.

As an example, consider Sweden. In WWII, Sweden was neutral and engaged in active commerce with Britain. However, their neutrality did not shield them from German U-Boat attack. In fact, her losses became so great, her merchant marine eventually chose to sail under the protection of Allied convoys.

The Germans did not respect Sweden's neutrality for the simple reason that Sweden supplied England with materials necessary to her war effort, including food. If you are feeding my enemy, in effect, you are also my enemy. It's quite simple.

Now consider Israel. If the US ended foreign aid to Israel, closed our embassy, and severed all diplomatic ties, but maintained active commerce with her, do you think the Islamic extremists would leave us alone?

My opinion is no, for the same reason the Germans attacked Swedish shipping. Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 5:34:09 AM EDT
[#1]
No, you're not wrong, you're exactly right.  It's a shame too many of the isolationists around here don't have the intelligence and perspective you do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top