Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2002 11:32:36 AM EDT
The following was forwarded to me.  As you all know, there are wildfires running unchecked in Arizona.  People have been displaced but so have their pets and in a lot of cases, shelters won't allow animals.  If you are in the area and can help or if you want to send a donation, bless you.
------------------------------------------------The situation here in AZ is awful, the heat unbearable, the fires have formed their own weather pattern.  For those of us who live in rural areas we are unable to offer foster homes since our fire danger is extremely high and we find ourselves preparing for the worst.

Many animals are homeless, there are burn victims.
Shelters and rescuers need:
Foster homes, medical supplies, kitty litter, money, the list is long.
There are two separate alerts

CENTRALIZED LOCAL TRANSPORT COORDINATOR:
Must have vehicle capable of transporting crated animals & supplies (we have horse transport available). Must have phone access. Will drive supplies, materials and animals from drop-points (Donations Drop Point and  separate Animal Transfer Point ... most often a large parking lot) to foster homes throughout the valley.

CENTRALIZED DONATIONS DROP POINT & STORAGE (& Coordinator):
We need a centralized, securable location for supplies to be dropped, inventoried and picked up. Right now we have several pallets of dog & cat food being stored in a volunteer's yard, but it is a small area, not easily accessible and subject to ant infestation. We need approximately 12x12 (an empty two car garage would be IDEAL!) accessible storage with someone on-site to inventory, record donations (name, quantity & whether a donation or a loan) and to verify and record those picking up for distribution (name, quantity & destination). These will be primarily animal food, cages & transport crates.

THE IDEAL would be to locate someone with a vacant house that has electricity, water and telephone. In such a situation, our computer network could be relocated to the living room area to act as our administrative staging center and the garage could act as a centralized donations point, as discussed above. * NO animals would be at this location.*

DONATIONS:
Donations of cash assistance may be made through our website ( http://www.cfar-arizona.org) which accepts PayPal / credit card donations. Checks and money orders may be sent to our Financial Controller:
*donations can also be made directly to The Arizona Humane Society WILDFIRE RESCUE FUND, 1521 West Dobson Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85041
*you can also make donations directly to the Payson Humane Society phone 928 474-5590  812 South McLean,  Payson, AZ 85541

CFAR-Arizona: Rodeo Project
ATTN: S. L. Colbert
12412 N. 42 Drive
Phoenix, AZ. 85029

Monetary Donations for food and supplies may be made through PetSmart, Chandler. Their number is 480-786-4464 and the manager to speak to there is Tracy Medlock.
*The Sedona Humane Society 928 282-4679 is also accepting all type of food and supplies (crates are desperately needed!) they will bringing down a truck load of goodies tomorrow. Please stop by today and give what you can.

Donations may be made for CFAR's veterinary expenses to:

Warner Vista Animal Hospital
895 S. Val Vista Drive
Suite 102
Gilbert, AZ. 85296

Or may be called in for credit card donations for veterinary expenses: 480-497-9700
FAX: 480-926-0908
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#1]
sent me a cow!

or better yet.
tie him to a tree and pour BBQ sauce all over him and invite us all down for dinner.

i will bring the potato salad [:D]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#2]
This is just the ticket to get PETA and the Sierra Club at each other's throats!
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Hehe .308 [:)].

I'm a bit more concerned about the ramifications this will have on the wildlife in the White Mountains area.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If you aren't interested in helping, fine.  But I know a lot of y'all are animal owners/lovers and I thought you might be interested in how you could help.  

I can't stop the fire and I can't move down there to help fight it, but I can send a donation.  

This is less about politics than helping out people in need.  I know if my place was destroyed by a disaster that I would be greatly appreciative of any help offered my way to take care of my animals until I rebuilt my place.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hehe .308 [:)].

I'm a bit more concerned about the ramifications this will have on the wildlife in the White Mountains area.
View Quote

don't worry about the Wildlife.  they are smart enough and fast enough to run when they smell smoke!  it's Mr. Snookums (the cat) we have to save.  

Why when there is an emergency does someone stick their hand out!

if they can't move the damn animal into the shelter why can't they keep in a carrier in their car?  
I know when hurricane Allison blew thru Houston my check book and credit cards still worked.  why can't they buy their own damn cat some food?

I know I am being a mean old a-hole  but horses can be put into trailers and moved.  and they can stay in the trailer at the shelter and exorcised once a day.  hay and oats can be purchased.

this is not the end of the world.
and if it is, "all dogs go to heaven" (Disney said so).

Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why when there is an emergency does someone stick their hand out!
View Quote

It's the nature of an [i]emergency[/i]... it is unforeseen circumstances where people may need help.  

if they can't move the damn animal into the shelter why can't they keep in a carrier in their car?
View Quote

That's inhumane in and of itself.  Not to mention that this time of year the interior of a car can reach temperatures that would kill a human or animal locked in it.

I know when hurricane Allison blew thru Houston my check book and credit cards still worked.  why can't they buy their own damn cat some food?
View Quote

Some people aren't as fortunate as you.  Count your blessings.

I know I am being a mean old a-hole  but horses can be put into trailers and moved.  and they can stay in the trailer at the shelter and exorcised once a day.  hay and oats can be purchased.
View Quote

Ummm... how much experience do you have with horses?  You cannot have them "stay in the trailer" for hours on end.  Not to mention they are not welcome at the shelters because you have the health issues regarding the animals' waste (same with cats and dogs).  

Then think about those people who might have allergies at the shelter.  Jarhead never touched a horse at the BRC but he was MISERABLE just from their presence.

this is not the end of the world.
and if it is, "all dogs go to heaven" (Disney said so).
View Quote

Tell that to the people who have lost everything in the fires.  

It may seem simple to you but this is a reoccurring problem whenever a natural disaster occurs.  I'm pretty confident that if there WAS a simple answer someone would have come up with it before now.

These are people who are concerned and try to help where they can.  If you are not one of them, so be it.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Also wanted to add that I hope you never have something horrible happen to your family that would warrant you asking for help.

I grew up in an area where we had destructive flooding every few years.  We had the forethought to purchase land on high ground.  It was never ONCE questioned if someone needed help.  In fact, they never even had to ask for help because those who could were already offering it....
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
sent me a cow!

or better yet.
tie him to a tree and pour BBQ sauce all over him and invite us all down for dinner.

i will bring the potato salad [:D]
View Quote

LOL! I wish I had a PETA T-shirt to send you as a prize for that one!
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#9]
don't worry about the Wildlife. they are smart enough and fast enough to run when they smell smoke! it's Mr. Snookums (the cat) we have to save.

This fire has the potential to drive them into areas more heavily populated with humans though and that is always a bad thing for wild animals.  Not to mention that two fires joined into one fire which is inevitably going to trap some animals.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Miss Magnum, nice to see you helping us here in AZ. im actually going to look into transporting animals for foster care. im an animal lover and would like to think someone would help me with my animals if i was in a situation similar to all those families and animals. and to all you a**holes (308wood), i hope a tragedy befalls you someday and you will need the assistance of kind people, then you might see what it is to be humane.
again, thanks miss magnum for reaching out to those that might need a helping hand.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Y'all are very welcome. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Miss_Magnum...I can not believe the responses you are getting to this thread!  

This is an EMERGENCY, guys!  Pull your heads out!  If it was YOUR house burning, and YOUR pets and/or livestock left with nowhere to go, you would be singing a very different tune.  I hope you never have to face that, but I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the members of this board would pitch in to help YOU, no questions asked.  You should be ashamed of yourselves.  [V]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#13]
btt
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Miss_Magnum

Thank you for your concern. I know and work with many people directly touched by this disaster. They have relatives and or property in the fire zone.

However I did hear today that[b]Turf Paradise[/b] (A horse track here in Phoenix)Is offering the use of their facility to house larger animals such as horses and cows for owners of said animals. (The racing moves up north during the summer months)

Hope the info helps. All of us in this State are feeling the affects of this.

Thanks again [^]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Great thread M.M. I forewarded it to all my friends in the Collie Club of America and the German Shepherd Dog Club of America. This should be good for a few more donations[:D]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#17]
what got me fired up were the dirt bags who left their exotic birds to burn up, my wife & i both got so upset when we saw those parrots that the cowards left behind, cats can run away & fend for themselves, the dogs are too faithfull to run away.......

we can not belive there are people who will abandon their annimals to save their own ass, people lyke that shud be shot !!

we have made attempts to take the pet birds, but no one has contacted us, so i hope they all got good homes......
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Miss_Magnum...I can not believe the responses you are getting to this thread!  

This is an EMERGENCY, guys!  Pull your heads out!  If it was YOUR house burning, and YOUR pets and/or livestock left with nowhere to go, you would be singing a very different tune.  I hope you never have to face that, but I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the members of this board would pitch in to help YOU, no questions asked.  You should be ashamed of yourselves.  [V]
View Quote

Miss_Magnum and AR15 Gal,

I didn't mean to offend, assuming the comment above applies (at least in part) to me.

I'm afraid I may have misinterpreted the meaning of the post in general. I found it odd that people would be freaking out about animals when people's homes were coming down, and jumped to a conclusion. Oops.

You're absolutely right that if I lived in that area I would be helping as much as I could, and my prayers go out to all those affected.

As for another post I saw above: I agree that people who flee there homes and leave their pets locked up to die deserve to be tied to a tree in the line of fire...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top