BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2012 5:51:41 AM EDT
Long-term unemployed receiving extended benefits upset

Brian Britza, 51, of Homestead, a career counselor who has been out
of work for about two and a half years, is nearing the end of his
extended benefits.

"This has become quite an emergency," said Britza, who supports four sons. "It's definitely something that needs to be done."

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:55:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Long-term unemployed receiving extended benefits upset

Brian Britza, 51, of Homestead, a career counselor who has been out of work for about two and a half years, is nearing the end of his extended benefits.

"This has become quite an emergency," said Britza, who supports four sons. "It's definitely something that needs to be done."

Many people do not recognize the irony in their own lives.

What the article will not tell you is that the unemployed career counselor has probably been taking the benefits while looking for another CAREER COUNSELING job, instead of taking another job.

–– John

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:59:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Might be able to get that guy to vote for slavery.

That kind of irony?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:01:36 AM EDT
[#3]
So, the state has to skew it's own unemployment numbers to grab more cash for the extended program from the federal government?

Interesting
Speed
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#4]
If only we could means test welfare/government assistance!

Tired of the lazy fucks sitting on their asses when they're clearly able bodied and could work, may not be a job of their choosing, but a job is a job, and it's better than sitting your fat ass around feeding off the government teet!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:04:41 AM EDT
[#5]
soylent green candidate.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:05:04 AM EDT
[#6]
There's no excuse for being out of work for 2 1/2 years.  I mean come on, lazy ass basterd!

I've been fired and had a job in less than two weeks.   Geebus!!!!

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Might be able to get that guy to vote for slavery.

That kind of irony?

No, the kind of irony where you'd have to pretty much be a moron to hire a person to help people GET JOBS who hasn't been able to GET A JOB for 2.5 years.

Kinda like you don't hire an investment manager who is on food stamps
or a Marriage Counselor who has been divorced 4 times...
or let Casey Anthony adopt a child....

I could go on.  THAT kind of Irony.

–– John
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:06:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There's no excuse for being out of work for 2 1/2 years.  I mean come on, lazy ass basterd!

I've been fired and had a job in less than two weeks.   Geebus!!!!

But life's hard

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:06:27 AM EDT
[#9]

A career counselor who can't find work in two and a half years!
Now THAT is pretty funny!

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:07:44 AM EDT
[#10]
He has a job folks..........sucking the tit.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:08:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Doesn't sound like he's supporting his 4 sons, it's more like the rest of us are..............
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:11:41 AM EDT
[#12]
He's fifty-one so his sons, almost certainly, must be older, aka adults.  I'm sure they're winners just like him.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:30:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I honestly don't have an issue w/ the unemployment program in itself...it's typically funded and there for legitimate folks who need a little "bridge loan".

However, having been on unemployment in PA during this "crisis", I found that the program is almost geared toward keeping you on it

I think if they want to throw money at a problem, they need to look at solutions and not band aids.

Case in point: I had to attend an orientation for unemployment. In this orientation they told us about lots of programs to help people find employment. One that stuck out at me was a self employment program that provided assistance in starting your own business and let you collect unemployemnt benefits during the process. It sounded great...there might be not only the possibility of getting someone off assistance, but also creating more jobs!

So, the next day I called to inquire about this program. I was working on an idea, but I hadn't finished researching it yet. I was assuming I would meet with some "counselors" and probably a volunteer business major or some such. The program touted mentorship and help in finding lenders and I was happy to use any resources my taxes paid for

My call was not well received; in fact it took me several calls to even find someone who knew about the program (the program which, I had just been told about and given literature on the previous day at the very same office) Anyway, it ended up that the program only existed on paper and had not been funded for several years. Yup, all this federal money flowing in to unemployment and a program designed to use that money to not only employ people, but possibly create new jobs...wasn't being funded

This whole extended unemployment thing is just a panic; a reaction. It's a shame that so much money is being pissed away in such a fashion, when they could be using it to create and nurture businesses, thus creating more jobs, more wealth, and ultimately more tax revenue for the state.

These fuckers don't think long term, and that will cost us
Speed
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Two fucking years?
Every Taco Bell I've seen has been hiring.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I lost my job in July of 2008 and I have yet to take one dime of unemployment benefits or find gainful employment.

My wife and I realize that living way out in the boonies has certain cost and one of those are a decent jobs base and right now my wife has a very good paying job. We decided to reinvent ourselves and turn our ten acres homestead into a small hobby farm. We're not making a lot of money at it, but once you factor in the savings on food, the saving on gas getting to and from work it equals about what I'd make doing a survival job.

The economy sucks, it still sucks, and it will continue to suck for some time. If you sit around waiting for your messiah to come along and lead you by the hand you'll miss out on a lot of opportunity. One way to survive in this economy is to get creative and look for ways to make money and bitching and whining about your handout isn't one them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#16]
The paper up here is pretty full of jobs starting at 45K a year, heck tacobell here starts at 18K. home depot starts at 22k.  tell me there is no work.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:00:03 AM EDT
[#17]
go get a job, Brian...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top