Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/6/2012 9:02:24 AM EDT
A friend of mine recently sent me a few of his pics from thier hunting lease. The pics were taken around the start of archery season here in Arkansas, about october end of september. Makes you wonder what they would do to a six or seven year old kid lost in the woods????

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Its not eating livestock so I don't see the problem.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Sucks to be eaten alive
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Isn't that what predators are supposed to do?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep.  They've always been 'kill on sight' in most places I've lived.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen these pictures before.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Dang, kind of regret not shooting that big male I saw during archery season.  That was the first coyote I've seen in the woods around here and he looked up at me with puppy dog eyes so I let him go.  Sneaky bastard.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#8]
thinning the herd.......
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Strange, an identical buck was attacked on a trail camera at my co-workers uncles place in North Dakota this summer
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I think what he's saying is that he wanted to be the predator to do it
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Those photos look familiar
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#12]
We shoot em on sight too.

I would rather shoot a damn yote than a deer anyday.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Arkansas huh?

On Predator Control: Coyotes and Whitetail
BuckManager.com | December 11 | Photo Gallery & Stories

Many hunters and landowners believe that predators are a major threat to deer management on their properties. Over most of the white-tailed deer’s range the primary predator of concern is the coyote. It’s true, coyotes do kill and eat deer. The real question is, “How many deer do coyotes kill each year?” That is a hard one to nail down because it depends on many local variables, but it is a question that many hunters and deer managers would like to have answered.

There are other animals that will also kill deer, such as bobcats, bears, feral hogs and mountain lions, but because of a hosts of variables, these species are typically believed to have little impact on local deer populations. But coyotes, well, that is one animal where most deer hunters will say predator control for the benefit for a whitetail deer herd should take place. It’s a rather simplistic view, but in a few cases it could be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Source: “When Marlin Smith placed his Moultrie trail camera on his hunting lease this summer, he was hoping to capture some stunning whitetail deer pictures. Those hopes were realized within the first week of the camera being in the woods, but in a gruesome way that Smith would have never imagined.

Documented in extreme detail was the grisly death scene of a record-class buck at the jaws of some blood-thirsty coyotes.

Smith, a northeast Texas resident, had placed his camera on his 4,800-acre deer lease in nearby Oklahoma. The property he hunts is owned by a large timber company. It is located in some foothills far removed from paved roads and county highways. This is the third year he has been deer hunting the property. But it is the first time he has ever seen brutal whitetail deer pictures like the ones in this series.”

Most deer biologists will tell you that predators do kill deer, but at a rate that only results in minor deer losses. Some will profess that predator control is a critical part of deer herd management, a practice necessary to maintain the balance between deer predators and whitetail. The fact of the matter is that both sides can be right.

In areas with good deer habitat, coyotes alone are unable to control deer numbers. It just will not happen unless other factors are at play. Keep in mind that I specifically said in areas good deer habitat. In these situations, coyotes can provide a level of “control” to slow the growth of a local deer herd, but they will not cause it to decline. Controlled deer harvest will still be a necessary part of the overall management equation.

It’s important to remember that whitetail deer are currently negatively impacting the plant communities in which they live because of overpopulation across the deer’s range. This has happened in the face of growing predator populations. Coyotes take their biggest toll on fawns, but that has not kept whitetail deer from thriving in one of the most coyote-rich areas in the world, South Texas.

The game camera photos of coyotes attacking and killing an Oklahoma deer bring to life most hunter’s biggest nightmare, predators removing a big buck from the deer population that they themselves could have shot. After all, the buck was really nice. What deer hunter would not have loved to put their tag on that animal? I think it’s reasonable to assume that this coyote-killed buck was nothing more that compensatory mortality. It was highly probable that the buck was ill and would have died anyway. The coyotes were just doing what they naturally do—removing the sick and the weak from the deer herd.

Here

video
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Strange, an identical buck was attacked on a trail camera at my co-workers uncles place in North Dakota this summer

No, it was my momma's sister's daugher's friend's 3rd cousin who knows the hunter.

Small world.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Its not eating livestock so I don't see the problem.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

lol. ok
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#17]
so what

they want to eat deer just as much as we do
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Not in a fenced piece of property where the deer are selectively breed and then hunted. Not exactly the WILD. I dont care much for canned hunts but, that is how this guy makes his living along with his employees.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Nature...how does it work?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Good info. I have been duped. He obviously snagged the pics. Thank you

Quoted:
Arkansas huh?

On Predator Control: Coyotes and Whitetail
BuckManager.com | December 11 | Photo Gallery & Stories

Many hunters and landowners believe that predators are a major threat to deer management on their properties. Over most of the white-tailed deer’s range the primary predator of concern is the coyote. It’s true, coyotes do kill and eat deer. The real question is, “How many deer do coyotes kill each year?” That is a hard one to nail down because it depends on many local variables, but it is a question that many hunters and deer managers would like to have answered.

There are other animals that will also kill deer, such as bobcats, bears, feral hogs and mountain lions, but because of a hosts of variables, these species are typically believed to have little impact on local deer populations. But coyotes, well, that is one animal where most deer hunters will say predator control for the benefit for a whitetail deer herd should take place. It’s a rather simplistic view, but in a few cases it could be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Source: “When Marlin Smith placed his Moultrie trail camera on his hunting lease this summer, he was hoping to capture some stunning whitetail deer pictures. Those hopes were realized within the first week of the camera being in the woods, but in a gruesome way that Smith would have never imagined.

Documented in extreme detail was the grisly death scene of a record-class buck at the jaws of some blood-thirsty coyotes.

Smith, a northeast Texas resident, had placed his camera on his 4,800-acre deer lease in nearby Oklahoma. The property he hunts is owned by a large timber company. It is located in some foothills far removed from paved roads and county highways. This is the third year he has been deer hunting the property. But it is the first time he has ever seen brutal whitetail deer pictures like the ones in this series.”

Most deer biologists will tell you that predators do kill deer, but at a rate that only results in minor deer losses. Some will profess that predator control is a critical part of deer herd management, a practice necessary to maintain the balance between deer predators and whitetail. The fact of the matter is that both sides can be right.

In areas with good deer habitat, coyotes alone are unable to control deer numbers. It just will not happen unless other factors are at play. Keep in mind that I specifically said in areas good deer habitat. In these situations, coyotes can provide a level of “control” to slow the growth of a local deer herd, but they will not cause it to decline. Controlled deer harvest will still be a necessary part of the overall management equation.

It’s important to remember that whitetail deer are currently negatively impacting the plant communities in which they live because of overpopulation across the deer’s range. This has happened in the face of growing predator populations. Coyotes take their biggest toll on fawns, but that has not kept whitetail deer from thriving in one of the most coyote-rich areas in the world, South Texas.

The game camera photos of coyotes attacking and killing an Oklahoma deer bring to life most hunter’s biggest nightmare, predators removing a big buck from the deer population that they themselves could have shot. After all, the buck was really nice. What deer hunter would not have loved to put their tag on that animal? I think it’s reasonable to assume that this coyote-killed buck was nothing more that compensatory mortality. It was highly probable that the buck was ill and would have died anyway. The coyotes were just doing what they naturally do—removing the sick and the weak from the deer herd.

Here

video

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Dupe. Your friend who claimed to have got these pictures himself: he's a dupe. This thread is a dupe. People who took the pictures at face value without knowing the backstory on the particular deer are dupes.

Lock this dupe thread, it's a triple-dupe.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Virginia game cops are telling us to shoot them whenever possible and safe, with any weapon (shotgun only restrictions in the county near me are waived for coyotes). Coyotes are an invasive species in the East.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Indeed, I took him at his word on the pics. Lock it please.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#24]
There is a predator that kills way more deer every year than coyotes.   Wonder what we should do with them?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Good shoot if you catch 'em. Hazard to game, livestock, pets, and hippy chicks.

Canadian Folk Singer Killed by Coyotes

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Dupe. Your friend who claimed to have got these pictures himself: he's a dupe. This thread is a dupe. People who took the pictures at face value without knowing the backstory on the particular deer are dupes.

Lock this dupe thread, it's a triple-dupe.

Are you calling this a "Den of Sin"?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#27]

I understand shooting them when they are a threat or a nuisance to you, your family, or your property.

I fail to see a problem with them having dinner out in the woods, though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I'd harvest those antlers for sure.  Maybe a nice European mount.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#29]
I watched a large coyote try to attack a 6pt buck back on Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No. They are suppossed to be nice.  We should kill coyotes for fun.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

A friend of mine recently sent me a few of his pics from thier hunting lease. The pics were taken around the start of archery season here in Arkansas, about october end of september. Makes you wonder what they would do to a six or seven year old kid lost in the woods????

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee336/shadroe/image001-2.jpg

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee336/shadroe/image001-6.jpg

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee336/shadroe/image001-3.jpg

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee336/shadroe/image001-5.jpg

They are date stamped August 2nd  

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Killing Yotes in Nevada is a pastime.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'd harvest those antlers for sure.  Maybe a nice European mount.  

I vote for harvesting the yote pelts as well...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Nature be nature, what's the problem?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There is a predator that kills way more deer every year than coyotes.   Wonder what we should do with them?

You must mean cars. Those things are murder on deer populations.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I understand shooting them when they are a threat or a nuisance to you, your family, or your property.

I fail to see a problem with them having dinner out in the woods, though.

They're a nuisance if they don't naturally belong there. Which they don't in most of the eastern half of the country.

Of course, that also means we should have lions and wolves here as well. Which I also support. Wolves and lions in Rock Creek Park would be hilarious.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Coyotes help me and my family maintain out shooting/hunting skills.
Snakes, coyotes, skunks, the only good ones are dead ones.  
I shot a lone coyote last year that I caught stalking my full grown AQHA mares.  I watched this one coyote sneak through the grass, go under my fence and try to low crawl like a cat up to my horses.  
My wife thought I should just leave it alone and watch the show but I told her something had to be wrong with the yote cause it shouldnt be going after 1300 pound horses who were alert and watching it.
I walked out and watched to see if there were more yotes but it was just that one.  Shot it and drug it off to the back of the pasture.
My general impression, which is shared by the local farmers, is that our yotes are getting bigger.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Trapping is the most efficient way to control coyote numbers.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Don't you get by-catch in the trap too?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#40]
I never shoot skunks.  Skunks, while skunky, destroy the fuck out of yellow jacket nests.  They are like buzzards in a way.  Ugly as shit, but they do nature's dirty work.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Years ago when I was a kid we came on a cow dropping a calf and a coyote trying to take the calf.
The mother sucked the baby back up in her womb before she dropped it all the way.
We shot the damn coyote then went for my uncle, the owner of the cattle on the place.
He lost the calf, most likely due to the coyote and the mother's fear.
In my neighborhood in NW OKC, we have had people's lap dogs snapped up by running coyotes in broad daylight.
Needless to say the lap dogs weren't seen again.
As far as coyotes go, run 'em over, shoot 'em, just kill 'em anyway you can.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but mainly just homeless people.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Good shoot if you catch 'em. Hazard to game, livestock, pets, and hippy chicks.

Canadian Folk Singer Killed by Coyotes

What's sad is they seem to blame her death on Her and not the coyotes :(
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Nature...how does it work?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Aren't they doing exactly what hunters are doing? Though they do it to survive.

I don't know about eating 7 year olds... I've not heard of that, probably more 7 year olds die of be stings and their own parents.

I still like killing yotes
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#46]
I thought there are too many deer because people aren't hunting enough.

Seems to me if that is true then there should be plenty enough deer for coyotes too.

I don't bother coyotes if they dont bother me, I've been told they eat stray cats and annoying small yappy dogs so I'm cool with it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I thought there are too many deer because people aren't hunting enough.

Seems to me if that is true then there should be plenty enough deer for coyotes too.

I don't bother coyotes if they dont bother me, I've been told they eat stray cats and annoying small yappy dogs so I'm cool with it.

I just like hunting and killling them.  The local farmers are also happy to see them gone.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. They are suppossed to be nice.  We should kill coyotes for fun.

I do... whenever I can....

And yes, it's fun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My general impression, which is shared by the local farmers, is that our yotes are getting bigger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coywolf

Coywolves?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but mainly just homeless people.

I think he was talking about men and women that go both ways.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top