Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 9:52:29 PM EDT
Is there ever a time when whistleblowing is not treason?

If you had access to proof of government malfeasance is there ever any condition that you would expose the wrongdoing?

This is not a Bradley Manning thread...his case involves more than that.

It is about the larger issue of whistleblowing in general.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not always treason.  Really depends on the issue and how you go about exposing it.

Exposing what was going on at Abu Gharib (or whatever it's called) was whistleblowing that wasn't treason at all.  Just exposing some dickheads who were breaking the rules.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#2]
No, it is not treason to release governmental wrong doings or violations of law. Treason is releasing classified information for the sake of exposing state secrets. Corruption, negligence, and illegal acts are not what we entrust our elected officials to be doing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Bradley Manning/Wikileaks - Treason

A. Ernest Fitzgerald/DOD Cost overruns/$300 toilet seats - Not Treason.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:53:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Not treason but it is prosecutable for those sworn as Mil or Intel.  If you are not a sworn government servant you should not be prosecutable.  Put another way the media or Joe Public has no obligation to keep quiet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I notice you're trying to avoid the fact that Paul called Manning a hero and true patriot.

He did not whistleblow, he committed treason.

I like how you try to feel better about it though by avoiding what Paul supports.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I notice you're trying to avoid the fact that Paul called Manning a hero and true patriot.

I like how you try to feel better about it though by avoiding what Paul supports.

I discussed this with you in a different thread.

I will say it again, after watching Paul's video I think you take his words out context.

He isn't calling Manning a hero, he is calling whistleblowers heros.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#7]
If it screws up the status-quo that I happen to like, then hell yes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#8]
People like to throw out the word treason for everything under the sun, but it is strictly defined in the Constitution.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Treason is releasing sensitive government documents to the general public so that our enemies can also view them.

Pathetic attempt at stealthily equating Bradley Manning as somehow being a "whistleblower".

I also will add that ZERO government wrong doing was uncovered with the release of said documents. So any bullshit excuse people use to justify it, is also blown out of the water.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No, he didn't.  You have to do more than read titles some yahoo posts on the web.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Wasn't fast and furious brought to light by whistle blowers?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wasn't fast and furious brought to light by whistle blowers?

See also:

Abu Ghraib
Watergate
Tuskegee Syphillis Experiments
CIA support of Nicraguan Contras with cocaine profits under Reagan

...etc, etc
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Whistleblowing is not treason but Manning is not a whistleblower.

I can't believe yoyu are still trying to defend this shit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I discussed this with you in a different thread.

I will say it again, after watching Paul's video I think you take his words out context.

He isn't calling Manning a hero, he is calling whistleblowers heros.  

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Oh good.  Another (covert) RP thread.

Yay.  Like we haven't done this topic to death in the dozens of other RP threads.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh good.  Another (covert) RP thread.

Yay.  Like we haven't done this topic to death in the dozens of other RP threads.

But it's not an RP thread.

It's not a Manning thread.

OP said so.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#17]
. Violation of allegiance toward one's country or sovereign, especially the betrayal of one's country by waging war against it or by consciously and purposely acting to aid its enemies.

To just say all whistle blowing against our government is treason is ridiculous.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#18]
If Soldiers die because of the leak, it's treason.  If the information released reveals whether Kim Kardashian wears control top pantyhose, then no.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Give it up Bubba, your boy isn't going to get elected.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's not always treason.  Really depends on the issue and how you go about exposing it.

that
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Who do you support for POTUS?

Unless it's Obama, or possibly Romney, your boy isn't going to get elected either.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#22]
You obey the chain of command and have no other gods before it.

You don't go off the reservation just because you "feel" justified in doing so.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless it's Obama, or possibly Romney, your boy isn't going to get elected either.

Honest question here:

Why did you think that you had to start another RP thread?

There's dozens of them floating around already and this topic has been done to death already in several of them.

Why?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Exposing what was going on at Abu Gharib (or whatever it's called) was whistleblowing that wasn't treason at all.  Just exposing some dickheads who were breaking the rules.

But if I recall correctly many  people here believe something is treasonous if it gets Americans killed. Hmm?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is there ever a time when whistleblowing is not treason?

Is it ever not?  I have never heard of a case where whistle blowing was treason.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like Gingrich despite his flaws. There's never going to be the perfect candidate, but he's got my vote. I don't give a rat's ass about his personal life. That said if Ron Paul managed to the nomination I'd throw my support behind him 100% as defeating Obama is paramount.

How many Ron Paul fans would back the Republican nominee instead of writing in Paul as a protest, knowing damn well  their vote could have been used against the worse President since LBJ ?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No, it is not treason to release governmental wrong doings or violations of law. Treason is releasing classified information for the sake of exposing state secrets. Corruption, negligence, and illegal acts are not what we entrust our elected officials to be doing.

+ 1 Exactly
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honest question here:

Why did you think that you had to start another RP thread?

There's dozens of them floating around already and this topic has been done to death already in several of them.

Why?

Maybe they're frustrated with the fact their constant spamming has failed to convince us to see the light?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I turned in my LPO for stealing tools.  I didn't want to face the blowback because he was so popular so I mailed a letter to the CO, XO, and CMC.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top