Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 6:27:34 PM EDT
Do you prefer gold or silver as an investment or US saving bonds?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I buy silver.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#2]
precious metals are worth more. <period>
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#3]
depends on inflation

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#4]
PM > savings bonds.  

Remember that the Federal Reserve is creating digital dollars for quantative easing #3.  Inflation will eat up any "earnings" you get from savings bonds.  We are on the verge of hyper inflation.  Don't be fooled by PM decline either.  They are shaking out the tree by raising margin requirements, short sales and selling over 141 tons of gold taken from Libya.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Don't buy bonds from a bankrupt Country that can default with the stroke of a pen...

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Be sure you actually get that product in your hand as well. Dont buy any piece of paper certifying that you own gold in a gold reserve of some kind. Those places operate much like banks due to the fact that they only have a percentage of actual gold on hand like banks do with paper money. When/if a run on gold deposites people have bought occur, you want to be coming out with what you paid for. Its like a game of musical chairs; don't be left standing when the music stops.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Don't buy bonds from a bankrupt Country that can default with the stroke of a pen...

You said it!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You said it!!!

I didn't think this would need to be said.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I buy silver.

This.

I think silver is more stable than gold and it is (I think, perhaps) undervalued right now.

Gold has given people more heart attacks than Mc'Donald's food.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Excellent!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Excellent!

But the market has caused many to jump off of tall objects.

Six of one, half a dozen of another.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
US Savings Bonds give the owner a specified maturation table that they can 'rely' on, and cash out of (at any time), without risk of loss (aside from inflation) for the life of the security (to the maximum maturation value) , so long as the United States Government does not default on its obligations- something that has never happened and in the forseable future will not happen.

PMs, both gold and silver (and other metals too) , experience radical fluctuation- much more than that related to inflation. Depending on when an individual buys and sells, and the specific commodities that they decide to buy and sell, it is possible to make a lot of money. It is also possible to hold PMs for decades and lose money, without even considering inflation.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:40:35 PM EDT
[#13]
PMs aren't investments.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:53:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm starting to purchase Silver - mainly 1 troy ounce silver coins and bars - the price is low (aroud $30 per ounce). Godl is still too expensive for me (at around $1,620 an ounce).
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:46:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm at that point.  Cash in these stupid ass low interest EE bonds and buy some silver eagle mint rolls.  Gold I don't think is that great of an investment...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm at that point.  Cash in these stupid ass low interest EE bonds and buy some silver eagle mint rolls.  Gold I don't think is that great of an investment...

Get silver bullion, not eagles. eagles cost much more for the same amount of silver.

I have been buying 1oz silver bars from www.silvertowne.com for about $31.00 an oz. with free shipping.

I found this due to a fellow arfcommer telling me. thanks again arfcom!

Jim
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:47:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do you prefer gold or silver as an investment or US saving bonds?

Think of it this way: would you buy bonds of the old General Motors?  Would you buy Penn Central Railroad bonds?  Would you buy Enron bonds?  Would you buy WorldComm bonds?  Would you buy Kodak bonds?

If you won't buy bonds of any of the above bankrupt, or soon to be bankrupt, companies, why would you buy bonds of an entity that has been operating in the red for years and years, that has shoddy accounting practices, that has massive debt already with no plan to control or reduce it, and that has huge unreported and off-balance sheet liabilities?  If the government was a private enterprise, by the rules that the government imposes, it would already be in bankruptcy court, and the top executives (the president, vice president, cabinet, et al) and the board of directors (Congress) would all be in jail on fraud, money laundering, conspiracy, etc. charges.

But go ahead and lend money to that government if you want.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:15:11 AM EDT
[#18]
paper is worthless, unless you need something to wipe your ass......
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
US Savings Bonds give the owner a specified maturation table that they can 'rely' on, and cash out of (at any time), without risk of loss (aside from inflation) for the life of the security (to the maximum maturation value) , so long as the United States Government does not default on its obligations- something that has never happened and in the forseable  future will not happen.

PMs, both gold and silver (and other metals too) , experience radical fluctuation- much more than that related to inflation. Depending on when an individual buys and sells, and the specific commodities that they decide to buy and sell, it is possible to make a lot of money. It is also possible to hold PMs for decades and lose money, without even considering inflation.

Therein lies the crux of the problem.  The government will default or allow the Fed to hyperinflate the dollar.  BTW, this won't be the first time.  Look up the colonial phrase, "not worth a continental." Also look up why Jefferson lost "money" after his tenants paid him.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Coins would be a much better investment , Gold/Silver as of today has had a annual appreciation for 4% to 5%, bonds around 4% and antique coins around 8%.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top