Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 12:22:57 PM EDT
Does that makes sense?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]
you can put a wireless bridge between a switch and a router.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe try clarifying a little bit, I'm not understanding what you're trying to do
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This. Generally you can set up any other wireless router to act in bridging mode, where it communicates wirelessly with your primary wireless router, and passes its wired ports through to the wireless network. I've got one myself on a DVR that's nowhere near my wired infrastructure.

I used an old Linksys WRT54G with dd-wrt firmware.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Generally you can set up any other wireless router to act in bridging mode, where it communicates wirelessly with your primary wireless router, and passes its wired ports through to the wireless network. I've got one myself on a DVR that's nowhere near my wired infrastructure.

That is awesome to know!  I have an extra WRT54G and have always wanted to hook my DVR up to the internet (Dish Network) so I can get the on-demand stuff and have control of my DVR over the net.  

I'm glad I started this thread.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is awesome to know!  I have an extra WRT54G and have always wanted to hook my DVR up to the internet (Dish Network) so I can get the on-demand stuff and have control of my DVR over the net.  

I'm glad I started this thread.

That's exactly my setup. WRT54G into a Dish VIP622. Try this tutorial: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Oh, and the version of dd-wrt firmware you need is based on the version of your router. I think mine was a version 8, and needed dd-wrt micro. That wiki can help you figure out which version to use.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Linksys RE1000 Wireless-N Range Extender/Bridge
Features:*

Wireless-N (2.4 GHz)
   Fast Ethernet (10/100) Bridge Port
   Extended range with multiple antennas
   Flexible wall or desktop placement options
   Also works as wireless bridge for wired device

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I did.  I had a couple of these so they were free to me.  I didn't want to pay for WIFI for my game systems so I did that.  It takes like 15 minutes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top