Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 11:08:38 AM EDT
Three years ago, you couldn't find an old Colt AR.  Now they are plenty on Gunbroker and Armslist.  

Maybe I'm wrong, but now it seems like everyone wants the newly built ARs.  Not the old ones.  
I'm a bit old fashioned.  To me, it seems like the old pre-ban classics are a better deal.  

For example:
- Plenty of classic Colt SP1's are listed locally (and Gunbroker) for $1100-$1200.  
- New DPMS ARs, similarly built, are selling for $900+.  

I'm not arguing that an old Colt is technically better/worse than a DPMS or RRA or whatever.  
I'm a tightwad.  It seems to me that the Colt will have better resale value when I go to sell it someday, so it's a better deal...

Any thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#1]
No. Go look in the retro forum. People are still buying SP1s and assembling rifles/carbines from old components like crazy.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I would like to have an old Colt, but I can build one just as reliable for about $700.00 or less.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I've already got my SP1 but then again, growing up as a kid, this is what I was accustomed to seeing as the latest and greatest.  I was also issued an M16A1.  Now with the younger generation you have so many that have never had an A2 issued much less an A1, so M4gery's it is.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The only Ar I have now is a kit build from 1990 (my first AR-15) with an Essential Arms receiver.  It is in the M-16a1 configuration.

I have owned more modern versions but sold them all and have stuck with my orginal one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I think maybe popularity has increased, therefore more people are capitalizing on that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I sold all my tacticacool stuff and am buying up old A1's and 2's
there is just something about the feel and history of these styles
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No. Go look in the retro forum. People are still buying SP1s and assembling rifles/carbines from old components like crazy.

As someone looking at doing a retro build this year, I must say "this."
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Retro rifles have a high CDI factor

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.fototime.com/54D6D47BE27A60B/standard.jpg

That is beautiful.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is beautiful.

It's my trunk gun.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is beautiful.

It's my trunk gun.  

perfect!

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard that someone is making those stocks new, and that the are 'spensive. Does anyone know who?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I turned down a Colt A2 upper for $300 the other day. It just doesn't have the utility a flattop has.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard that someone is making those stocks new, and that the are 'spensive. Does anyone know who?

Total Silence, Inc.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I wish some company would go "retro" and make an SP-1 reproduction for a reasonable "shooter grade" price.  Not a limited edition, overpriced reproduction.

I thought last year PK arms was selling a retro upper, but I don't see it on their website anymore.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Old school style  ARs are my favorite.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Well to the OP's point, the AR market has exploded since the end of the AWB, during the AWB pre-bans were the obvious choice if you didn't want a neutered abortion of an AR. There is now a niche and collectors market for retro, but the big market is the post-postban modern AR carbines.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#18]
3 Years Ago?

Couldn't buy a pea shooter three years ago
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Three years ago, you couldn't find an old Colt AR.  Now they are plenty on Gunbroker and Armslist.  

Maybe I'm wrong, but now it seems like everyone wants the newly built ARs.  Not the old ones.  

I'm a bit old fashioned.  To me, it seems like the old pre-ban classics are a better deal.  

For example:

- Plenty of classic Colt SP1's are listed locally (and Gunbroker) for $1100-$1200.  

- New DPMS ARs, similarly built, are selling for $900+.  

I'm not arguing that an old Colt is technically better/worse than a DPMS or RRA or whatever.  

I'm a tightwad.  It seems to me that the Colt will have better resale value when I go to sell it someday, so it's a better deal...

Any thoughts on this?

Yeah, screw those lame Colts and their over priced crap and their non-standard parts.

The Retro AR scene is alive and well thanks to the likes of companies like NoDak Spud and sites like Retro Black Rifle, as well as our own Retro forum.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

there is some sexy laying there
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Old school style  ARs are my favorite.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/capnrob97/7a4fe92b.jpg

Nice!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#23]
More A2s for me!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#24]
A2s are not retro, but we like them, too.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#25]
growing

once you have a modern rifle all done up, a classic like an SP1 just feels "right" in your hands
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Okay, that one gave me a stiffie.

I have an A2 and an A4/M4gery. SP1 never really did it for me. Unusual variants get my attention, though. A CAR 15 might make me open my wallet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep. I'm currently working on a 20" A2 clone myself.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I'm currently working on a 20" A2 clone myself.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#29]
]

Unfired Colt SP1
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top