Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 6:49:09 AM EDT
I got a kindle touch for Christmas and found the pre-publisher edit version of Stranger in a Strange land with an extra 40k+ words.

Lot's more Heinlein political stuff in it than I recall in the "normal" version...

...one of my favorite authors for sure

Too bad I know how it ends
Anyway, it's worth checking out this "uncut" copy if you read the original edited version as a teenager
Speed
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:50:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I just about grabbed The Moon is a Strange Mistress yesterday but went with Huxley's Brave New World instead. The others will follow.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:51:40 AM EDT
[#2]
One of my least favorite Heinlein novels.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a classic; I've actually never finished reading it as I sold my First edition copy on ebay while I was reading it
Speed
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:58:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One of my least favorite Heinlein novels.

+1

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a classic; I've actually never finished reading it as I sold my First edition copy on ebay while I was reading it

Speed

Greatest libertarian novel ever written.  Makes Atlas Shrugged look like drivel.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:00:09 AM EDT
[#6]
One of my MOST favorite.  I always think differently after I read it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:00:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Good bass line.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I liked  "Moon" , alot . But I tried twice now to read "Stranger" and couldnt get into it .

You folks that have read a lot of Heinlen , is there another of his books that is on the same level as "Moon" , quality - wise ??
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:05:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I liked  "Moon" , alot . But I tried twice now to read "Stranger" and couldnt get into it .

You folks that have read a lot of Heinlen , is there another of his books that is on the same level as "Moon" , quality - wise ??

IMO, no.

Moon was a one of a kind type of thing of his. A lot of the major points are hit on in other works but nothing completely devoted to it.

Oh, an a big +1 to the above. Took me three tries over 5-10 years to get through it. And I devour Heinlein. Every book aside from 5 or so of his teeny bopper ones (which I like).
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:15:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed

Greatest libertarian novel ever written.  Makes Atlas Shrugged look like drivel.

Yep. Great book.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:19:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#12]
eh?

I liked Stranger in a Strange Land.  Thought it was easy reading.  The first time I read it I was 15 and spending time in the hospital getting chemotherapy.  maybe the drugs made it easier to grok.

To Sail Beyond the Sunset was the one I found a little difficult to make it through.

I Will Fear No Evil was just plain...  odd.  Though definitely a novel exploration of homosexuality.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

A lot of people don't grok it.

They're not our water brothers.
Speed

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll have to check it out.  I really liked Stranger.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:30:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A lot of people don't grok it.

Spoken like someone whose thetans are staggering under a load of engrams.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:31:54 AM EDT
[#16]
No thanks
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#17]
They don't grok it because they haven't spent the appropriate time to grok the subject.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I hit the local half price book store fairly regularly and clean out whatever Heinlein I can lay hands on. "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls" was a good one, as was "The Number of The Beast". "Job, A Comedy of Justice" was awesome as well. "Friday" was another good one.

My grandma gave me a Kindle that she never used-I love it, except I can read a 400 page book on it in half a day, it seems, so it gets a bit expensive...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I hit the local half price book store fairly regularly and clean out whatever Heinlein I can lay hands on. "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls" was a good one, as was "The Number of The Beast". "Job, A Comedy of Justice" was awesome as well. "Friday" was another good one.

My grandma gave me a Kindle that she never used-I love it, except I can read a 400 page book on it in half a day, it seems, so it gets a bit expensive...

Do what I do, for every novel I read, I force myself to either read a non-fiction book or a "classic" which are availible for free in the public domain. I just finished a trashy HALO novel so Im debating between re-reading Moby Dick or finally reading The 5000 year leap.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

as was "The Number of The Beast".

Probably his worst novel.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

as was "The Number of The Beast".

Probably his worst novel.

I wouldn't disagree with that.  And another thing about Heinlein: for novels about the future, people sure do seem to play a lot of bridge.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I just about grabbed The Moon is a Harsh Mistress yesterday but went with Huxley's Brave New World instead. The others will follow.

I left a copy my dad got in the 60s on an AA flight.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top