Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/4/2012 12:00:08 PM EDT
And I just started the MiraLAX at 15:00. i mixed it up in Gatorade then poured it in 4 16oz bottles. I have to drink a half a bottle every 10 minutes. I don't know if I can hold that much liquid!!

How long does it take for the MiraLAX to work and how many of you have gone through this before, this is a first for me.

Update after procedure: Well, I'm no longer a virgin!!

Went in at 10:00, prepped and ready to wait for three hours. Had a good time with the nurses and they even had the Eagles to listen to!! My wife and I had a good talk about what to do if the SHTF/Zombie ARFPOCOLYPSE happens while I'm out.  I told her to pay attention to where they took me and drag me out if the dead begin to walk!!
I feel confident she had my back if SHTF.

Went into the O.R. about 12:48. I remember it on the clock. The anesthesiologist asked me to roll over on my side and she would start the Proponal (sp?) push. I looked over and damn that was a huge syringe, looked to be about 50ml. I knew it wouldn't be long, and then I started to feel it...............out!!!

I did have a good dream about deer hunting while I was out. I just needed two more minutes to shoot a huge buck, but they woke me up.

I was pretty groggy, but remember everything from the point I came out of it to now. I was out a little after 13:45 on my doc's watch when he came to give me the good news and a few pics.

Everything was in order, with good color and no polyps!!

I'm 42, and the reason I went in is that I'm having some mild to moderate abdominal discomfort in the upper rigt side of my abdomen. I've had a CT, ultra sound with contrast, two blood tests, x-rays and now this. All have been clear on my pancreas, liver, stomach, diaphragm, gall bladder, right kidney and aorta with what ever else shows up when they shoot the contrast in your veins. I also had to drink that barium stuff before those tests.

My doc tells me he want's to have a closer look at my gall bladder.

All in all, for you guys that are first timers, it's really a breeze like the other guys said.

So, in a nutshell, that has been the last almost 72hrs of my life. Now I'm back among the eating( I chowed down on grilled catfish, scallops and shrimp!) Now I'm back to surfing Arfcom in my easy chair..........

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#1]
My mom had it a few years ago. She stayed in the bathroom the entire today. It don't take no time to work.

She was puking and had diarhea at the same time with it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, you best use your finest Boy Scout lashing technique to secure yourself to the john posthaste, or you're going to have the whole fucking house knee deep in liquid shit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you near a Ryan's?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I did it a couple of months ago.  I had Movi-prep.  Just stay close to the toilet.  No big deal.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Good for you for getting this done.  The prep sucks - but not nearly as much as colon cancer.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]
What about tomorrow. Is the procedure bad, uncomfortable?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dude, you best use your finest Boy Scout lashing technique to secure yourself to the john posthaste, or you're going to have the whole fucking house knee deep in liquid shit.

Hahahaha!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They give you an I.V. with sleepy medicine in it.  I didn't remember a thing.  And I am glad I didn't remember anything.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd be hangin' 'round the toilet were I you.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
. I don't know if I can hold that much liquid!!

Don't worry, you won't have to.

At least not for long anyway.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My Dr. put me under, so I never felt a thing - had a nice sleep and woke up in recovery.  

As for the prep, just have some decent reading material handy - you will be off and on the can for a few hours... Mostly ON!

Good luck - it's really no big deal.  The prep is by far the worst part, and even that isn't really that bad.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And I just started the MiraLAX at 15:00. i mixed it up in Gatorade then poured it in 4 16oz bottles. I have to drink a half a bottle every 10 minutes. I don't know if I can hold that much liquid!!

How long does it take for the MiraLAX to work and how many of you have gone through this before, this is a first for me.

Stay close to toilet and keep flushing....it will take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours for miralax to do it's magic. when you are able to see bottom of toilet bowl, you are there man. went thru my first 3 weeks ago. preparation is hardest, you won't feel a thing during the procedure, they'll knocked you out. good luck
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Whatever I drank took 11-12 minutes. Not to worry about holding it for very long.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#16]

That was just wrong...

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Sneaky poop thread is sneaky.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No issue, discomfort or problem if you have them put you to sleep.

I had it done once fully awake to watch the procedure on monitor. That is definitely a one time thing., but no after effects even then.

Not to worry, you could actually drive yourself home.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Naah, it's cake.  You go in, they knock you out and anally violate you, then you wake up refreshed and maybe a little groggy.

You'll need someone to drive you home though.

Little to no discomfort, honestly the reverse Old Faithful reenactment is I think the worst part.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are you near a Ryan's?

Oh no you didn't!  

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Working on the second 16oz bottle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Had one about 8 yrs ago. Doctor asked if I wanted to watch, that he'd push a monitor beside the table. I said cool and watched him move the table, then promptly went to sleep, only to wake up in recovery. Missed the entire show.

I have another one scheduled for next week. I'll see if I can fight the meds better this time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Good for you for getting it done.

Don't worry about holding that much fluid, you won't be holding it for long....When I did mine last year, I shit so much, I think I saw some of my wedding cake.

As far as the procedure, relax. You will go into the room, they will tell you that they are going to sedate you, and the next think you know, you are in the recovery room. Seriously, it is so simple you will laugh about it afterwards...providing that they don't find anything serious.

Best of luck to you!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Dave Barry did a piece on Colonoscopies, and said he wished he could have been secured to the toilet as he was going off like a solid rocket booster.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Had one about 8 yrs ago. Doctor asked if I wanted to watch, that he'd push a monitor beside the table. I said cool and watched him move the table, then promptly went to sleep, only to wake up in recovery. Missed the entire show.

I have another one scheduled for next week. I'll see if I can fight the meds better this time.

When they rolled me over on my side I checked out their digital screens with my BP, heartbeat, etc.

I remember thinking, "Those are cool. If I had my glasses I could seeeeeeeeeeeeee"

OP, only thing I would do differently next time is wear some heavy calf length socks. The room was like an ice box and my feet got cold and the doc said it would have been OK to wear them. When I woke up he said things looked fine, eat more fiber, see you in 10 years.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow you only have 64 oz, I did it last week, and had a gallon.  It took about 90 min to start, I was up all night, and it was still in effect in the morning.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#28]
the procedure is nothing, its the prep, about 30 minutes into it, you turn into a human water filter, and afterwards, dont blink to hard
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Prepare to ride the silver stallion.

You won't feel a thing.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I just got back from mine! The worst part is the prep. I was supposed to drink one liter of the stuff at 5pm, and another at 9pm.

I started crapping about a half hour, maybe 40 minutes later. I sat there for a hour and a half.

The crapping starter quicker after the 9pm serving. By that time it was no longer crap. The stuff didn't taste that bad at first but it quickly provoked a nauseating response. Luckily I didn't puke.

I didn't get hungry till lunch on the day of my prep. After I started drinking the stuff I wasn't hungry anymore. I still feel rather queasy.

My butthole only hurts a tiny bit. I expected it to hurt worse. Other than that and a little queasyness I feel ok I guess. I couldn't take my naisds for a few days so my knees hurt quite a bit.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wow you only have 64 oz, I did it last week, and had a gallon.  It took about 90 min to start, I was up all night, and it was still in effect in the morning.

Yea, 64oz of Gatorade mixed with 8.3oz of MiraLAX.

I feel a rumbling in my gut!!

Feels like gas, but I'm not taking any chances!!

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow you only have 64 oz, I did it last week, and had a gallon. It took about 90 min to start, I was up all night, and it was still in effect in the morning.

The fart, trust it not

Might be getting a colonoscopy in the next few days... not looking forward to the prep.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#33]
This is like the moment in Apollo 13 when the tanks get stirred.

It is going to be a bumpy ride.

Godspeed, OP.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They give you an I.V. with sleepy medicine in it.  I didn't remember a thing.  And I am glad I didn't remember anything.

They didn't give enough sleepy meds. I was awake and making snarky comments during the procedure.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Vodkas clear.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#36]
How expensive is that stuff? What's wrong with a couple bottles of apple juice.. always does the same thing to me.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

tomorrow is the easy part.

i've had two in the last three years and the prep is by far the worst part.  the procedure is nothing.  they give you some sweet drugs and next thing you know its over.  expect to be a little gassy for a day or so.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I had mine last week. First I was told to drink 8 ozs every 10-15 minutes for a total of 64 ozs. Have to tell you four 16's are tough. The Miralax should work in about an hour or two after the last round. I also was told to take a Ducolax tablet 6 hours prior to the Miralax.

The clean out is the wortst part. Remember as you lay on the table protest to your doctor that he never took you out for dinner...........
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Depending on your state of mind and level of personal humor (and I guess basicly how twisted you are) the prep can be horrible,funny as hell, or just a waste of the good part of a day/night.
You would be an odd person indeed if you didn't find your first one quite remarkable and memorable.It will likely leave you amazed that your body can do "that"

Hold on buddy!

The procedure in itself is largely unremarkable unless the IV for the drugs freaks you out.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think of this as training for one of the living over 40 rules:

NEVER TRUST A FART!

Yeah, I've had to do one at 45 and it's time to schedule my next appointment.

Oh, too late now but you will always want to pay extra for premium toilet paper if you don't already have it in the house.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#41]
The twilight meds they give you don't work on me and they had to keep pumping me full of more of them, I remember the entire procedure, conversations and the discomfort, but I had pain just from normal digestive processes.

When I told the doc all the stuff I remembered on the follow up he was basically like "there is no way you should have felt anything let alone remember it with what we pumped into you." Well doc I did

Good Luck!!

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I thought you were supposed to be cleaning our your colon at least two days before they shoved the tube up your butt to look around.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I did it a couple of months ago.  I had Movi-prep.  Just stay close to the toilet.  No big deal.

This,

The stuff is nasty, it forces you to down it real quick. if you chill it, you're guaranteed a brain freeze

Take something to read

The Procedure the next morning will not register with your brain because you're still feeling your roids.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't remember anything of my two procedures.  There are also blanks in the four or so hours afterwards either so make sure you have someone to take you home and stay with you for a few hours.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
How expensive is that stuff? What's wrong with a couple bottles of apple juice.. always does the same thing to me.

I had a recipe for a knock-off version of the same stuff, I'll see if I can find it. apparantly all the ingredients are available over the counter
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#46]
You will shit you brains out all night. If it hasn't already started then it will shortly.

Procedure is quick and simple. Once they push drugs, you won't remember a thing until a while after you wake up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Had one yesterday.  Did the MoviPrep routine.  Didnt think it tasted as bad as everyone says.  I had no issue with it at all.  It worked though.  The night before and the morning of the procedure I had to do the prep.  At the office, they got me all set up, on the IV and monitors.  Gave me a little shot of something in the IV to make me happy.  Then the anesthitist said she was putting me to sleep.  She rigged up a big shot of this milky stuff.  I saw it moving down the IV line towards my hand and suddenly got nervous.  I wanted to tell her I wasnt read....  Then I woke up in recovery.

I am glad I had it done.  I turned 40 last year and am clear of polyps and anything else bad.  My bunghole is in fine working order.

The worst part was not eating for a couple days.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The twilight meds they give you don't work on me and they had to keep pumping me full of more of them, I remember the entire procedure, conversations and the discomfort, but I had pain just from normal digestive processes.

When I told the doc all the stuff I remembered on the follow up he was basically like "there is no way you should have felt anything let alone remember it with what we pumped into you." Well doc I did

Good Luck!!

I had this happen twice for back injections. I finally looked at the guy and said, "what's in that thing? water?"

It hurt, but not so much that I couldn't take it. I tired to get them to not even give it the second time.

A few years later I had the same thing done with another doc, BEST SLEEP I'VE EVER HAD! Must have been a different drug.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't know if I can hold that much liquid!!

That won't be an issue.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Like others have said the prep is the worst part.  You won't sleep worth a damn tonight.  Most docs knock you out so you sleep thru the procedure.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top