BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/4/2012 10:32:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I work with train cars and see lots of them that have been shot at, mostly with shotguns.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I work with train cars and see lots of them that have been shot at, mostly with shotguns.

I had a substitute teacher in high school who talked about how they'd blaze away at freight trains with shotguns when she used to live near the tracks.  They were bored, it was something to do I guess.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#4]
It was rumored that this was the result of someone shooting at a train car. What are the odds that it just happened to be full of ammonium  nitrate?

Train car explosion
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Years ago I toured the plant in Utah that made the SRB's for the Space Shuttle.  The plant manager told us that they have to inspect the SRB's at several points along the way to Kennedy Space Center and a few have been found with bullet holes.  Apparently it isn't UNCOMMON.  

I don't understand it, but then again trains are big and cover a lot of sparsely populated rural areas, there's bound to be a dumbass with a gun along those routes.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#6]
If it moves, shoot it!

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Years ago I toured the plant in Utah that made the SRB's for the Space Shuttle.  The plant manager told us that they have to inspect the SRB's at several points along the way to Kennedy Space Center and a few have been found with bullet holes.  Apparently it isn't UNCOMMON.  

I don't understand it, but then again trains are big and cover a lot of sparsely populated rural areas, there's bound to be a dumbass with a gun along those routes.

^^^See above.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Back in my youth, we may or may not have thrown beer bottles at trains.  But that was the worst of it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Some people just like to fuck with things. I had to respond a couple times when kids would light shit on fire on the tracks or place objects on the tracks. Usually it was just to watch a frieght plow through it. One had a lady throw herself on the tracks, sad day. But i know of kids doing this same thing albeit with BB and paintball guns.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Remember when automobiles used to be hauled uncovered by freight trains? They covered them up for a reason. Not nearly as fun shooting at a covered freight car as it is shooting autos and watching the windows explode. Worked for Union Pacific for 33 years. There may or may not be bullet proof glass in road units.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I work on the railroad as a freight conductor/ trainman. It happens ALL the time, mostly when we're going through the "low income" neighborhoods. I've hit the deck a couple times because I heard a shot and the bullet ricochet off the locomotive. People seem to feel that our fuel tanks are especially good targets because I've had three that have had holes shot in them on different occasions. It happens, that's why our  locomotives have half inch thick windows (not enough but it helps I'm sure) and the walls are thick ass steel. Big moving targets.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#12]
CHOO CHOO CHOOT IT!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

^^^See above.
snap.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#14]

The Goodyear blimps operate with several bullet holes in them.

People like to shoot at shit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I thought it was a deer.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#16]
People should play more call of duty and halo. It will take away the urge to shoot at anything.
in the future maybe we will all live in hologram world. Nobody will murder anyone anymore because everybody talks and lives in the hologram. No one will need to shoot anything in a hologram Also everyone can have sex with anyone they want, anytime because everything is virtual.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#17]
That's why Boeing doesn't want to ship the 787 fuselages by railcar like they do with their other models.  A rep once told me they averaged 22 sheetmetal repairs per shipment.  Can't really toss a quick patch on the composite material like they can with aluminum.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Why would anyone shoot road signs?  Or spraypaint them?  Or spraypaint the side of buildings?  Because they are f'ing lowlife vandals.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
People should play more call of duty and halo. It will take away the urge to shoot at anything.
in the future maybe we will all live in hologram world. Nobody will murder anyone anymore because everybody talks and lives in the hologram. No one will need to shoot anything in a hologram Also everyone can have sex with anyone they want, anytime because everything is virtual.

You are wise beyond your years, my friend.

Bruce Willis wants his crummy movie back, though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why would anyone shoot road signs?  Or spraypaint them?  Or spraypaint the side of buildings?  Because they are f'ing lowlife vandals.

This reminds me of my neighborhood. Someone vandalized a stop sign near my house, defacing it with the single word "poop".     I need to move out of the rough part of town.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess I could see why it would be fun.  Used to throw rocks at coal cars as a kid...until one came back and hit me in the forehead.  When I woke up, I decided it's not a good idea to fuck with trains.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There is a weird law in ny about shooting at planes. Must have been a hillbilly past time at some point.

I can't find the court case, but basically a farming family got pissed at these new-fangled airplanes flying too low and spooking their chickens.  They sued on the grounds that the planes needed their permission to fly through their airspace.  The court ruled that property rights do not include the airspace above it.

You just know that less legally-inclined people from that period took matters into their own hands.

Edit: Haha! Found it!  US v Causby
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#24]

When I was a little kid I put pennies on the rails to make "jewelry"...does that count?  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Buffalo looking to avenge their great great great great grandparents?

(And yes, I actually looked up the lifespan of buffalo In the wild for that joke. I'm that dedicated to my humor.)

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Ask the survivors of the 1970's Roseville CA disaster what a 30-06 bullet does to a  train car load of 500lb bombs
Roseville, CA

April 1973- A railroad accident draws the Navy's attention to the hazards caused by fires and sensitive munitions. A train loaded with bombs had just entered the yard in Roseville, CA, when a fire was observed in one of the boxcars. Before the fire department could react, a massive explosion demolished the boxcar and spread the fire.

In the next few hours, 18 boxcars exploded in succession. There were no fatalities in this accident, but 48 people were injured and property damage totaled $24 Million.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#28]
YANKEE IMPERIALIST CAN HIT LARGEST SIDE OF TRAIN!!

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I may or may not be single-handedly responsible for the implementation of corrugated siding on auto carrier railcars.

I was kind of a ornery kid for a while. Throwing rocks at trains was just something we did.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I seem to remember it the other way around, when I was a kid we used the railroad tracks as a highway for our motorcycle adventures. not on the tracks but along side.  if a train was coming we knew to get the hell off the tracks into the woods because the engineers would shoot rock salt at us.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I may or may not be single-handedly responsible for the implementation of corrugated siding on auto carrier railcars.

I was kind of a ornery kid for a while. Throwing rocks at trains was just something we did.

Yeah.  I was ornery as well.

We had neighbors that would shoot at trains passing by.  They were pissed at the engineers who blew the horn in the middle of the night and for blocking access to property when they parked their trains

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a weird law in ny about shooting at planes. Must have been a hillbilly past time at some point.

I can't find the court case, but basically a farming family got pissed at these new-fangled airplanes flying too low and spooking their chickens.  They sued on the grounds that the planes needed their permission to fly through their airspace.  The court ruled that property rights do not include the airspace above it.

You just know that less legally-inclined people from that period took matters into their own hands.

My suspicion is it's usually just the same urge that makes people shoot at road signs and stuff like that

nope. if you live right across a 2 lane road from a rr crossing, you will quickly want to shoot it. esp when an asswipe conductor feels the need to hold down the horn for 5 minutes at 2:30 a.m.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#33]
That's why I treat everyone I meet like they're a retard until they prove otherwise. They seldom do.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#34]

What round for a Budd Pulman Car, Budd Sleeper?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Goofy
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Random post is very random  

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I work on the railroad as a freight conductor/ trainman. It happens ALL the time, mostly when we're going through the "low income" neighborhoods. I've hit the deck a couple times because I heard a shot and the bullet ricochet off the locomotive. People seem to feel that our fuel tanks are especially good targets because I've had three that have had holes shot in them on different occasions. It happens, that's why our  locomotives have half inch thick windows (not enough but it helps I'm sure) and the walls are thick ass steel. Big moving targets.

They need to have a 50 cal in a turret mount on top of the cab.  Be perfect for making ghetto goblins run for their lives
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

My suspicion is it's usually just the same urge that makes people shoot at road signs and stuff like that

nope. if you live right across a 2 lane road from a rr crossing, you will quickly want to shoot it. esp when an asswipe conductor feels the need to hold down the horn for 5 minutes at 2:30 a.m.

Ummm wrong. The engineer usually blows the horn. Also there is no way they're blowing it for 5 minutes straight. Exaggerated statement is exaggerated. It's also federal law to blow at road crossings. Bet your ass if you was to get hit by a train that didn't, you would sue the shit out of them for not blowing. No matter what time it was! Also on the RR I work for, the rules state no less than 15 seconds, but no more than 20 seconds. Also suppose to blow it until the lead locomotive fully occupies the croasing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm wrong. The engineer usually blows the horn. Also there is no way they're blowing it for 5 minutes straight. Exaggerated statement is exaggerated. It's also federal law to blow at road crossings. Bet your ass if you was to get hit by a train that didn't, you would sue the shit out of them for not blowing. No matter what time it was! Also on the RR I work for, the rules state no less than 15 seconds, but no more than 20 seconds. Also suppose to blow it until the lead locomotive fully occupies the croasing.

sorry to shit on your posies. but i was there and you were not. 5  minutes. on a regular basis. many calls made to the local station by many people. if you dont know facts, please feel free to not chime in.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#40]
If your gonna do it, do it right.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#41]
It was reachin.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If it moves, shoot it!

Train!! It's comin right for us!!!!

We used to shoot trains with potato guns all the time...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#43]

That is one of the most awesome youtube vids out there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Remember when automobiles used to be hauled uncovered by freight trains? They covered them up for a reason. Not nearly as fun shooting at a covered freight car as it is shooting autos and watching the windows explode. Worked for Union Pacific for 33 years. There may or may not be bullet proof glass in road units.

I used to hang around the tracks when I was a kid and have seen auto carrier train cars that looked like the cars went through a war zone.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I thought it was a deer.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This begs the question: What round for diesel locomotives?

Why 700 wtf of course

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

sorry to shit on your posies. but i was there and you were not. 5  minutes. on a regular basis. many calls made to the local station by many people. if you dont know facts, please feel free to not chime in.

There is one engineer that blows the damn horn from one end of my town to the other in the middle of the damn night.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I don't know facts lol. Let's see video of said 5 minute horn blowing. We're all waiting.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I watched a Peacekeeper booster get blown up because of the same thing.  It's ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#50]
I saw LPG cars come into the refinery with well defined rifle bullet hits.  The shell is thick ass steel and curved so they didn't penetrate, but made mark.  Who the fuck would shoot at a tank car?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top