Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2002 4:27:48 PM EDT
Had the opportunity to visit a large sportings goods store today and overheard the oddest things... a customer was dropping his Bushmaster Shorty off for the gunsmith to 'check out'.  I started a conversation up with the AR owner and he was telling me he was having failures to extract occasionally and he'd heard from someone in his National Guard unit Bushmaster had a problem with barrels over-torqued so he wanted the barrel 'done right'...

Looked at the Shorty and the sights are as centered as any you'd ever find... 'Shoot where the sights are set?', I asked... 'Yep'...

I started to explain FTE's and AR's in general, wrote down the web address for AR15.com, tried to explain the different possible causes for the occasional jam, but he just replied, 'I'd rather pay someone $300 to fix it than try to figure it out'...

He turned over the AR to the clerk who told him it would be a few weeks before the 'smith called him with a cost estimate.

I guess I can't understand people who have absolutely no interest in the firearms they own or aren't even willing to spend a few minutes doing research that could save them a bundle in gunsmithing charges...

So no, I didn't recruit a new AR15.com member today... If I'd been thinking I'd have offered him the $400 cash I had in my pocket... betcha I'd have another Bushmaster Shorty if I had...
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm to the point of pointing and laughing at folks like this.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, it must be nice to have more money than sense.

OTOH, I'm pretty lucky to have a LARGE local bunch of people to draw on if I had problems like that--who, more to the point, instead of just fixing it, would SHOW ME what was wrong, and how to keep it from happening/repair it in the future.

If you're going to invest in a hobby (or self-defense, if that's your primary goal) it doesn't make sense not to know as much about it as possible!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#3]
... 'I'd rather pay someone $300 to fix it than try to figure it out' ...
View Quote

[whacko]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#4]
sounds like you live in the metro detroit area.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm....my guess is he went to Cabela's in Dundee. When are we Metro Detroiters going to have a shoot? I am starting to wish I was living in TX...
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]
when i heard that, cabela's or gander mountain in taylor popped into my head.
i live in monroe,about 15 min from cabela's.

wolfamongsheep, look up the thread about the "pit crew" some of us are getting together next weekend in lapeer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#8]
some of us are getting together next weekend in lapeer.
View Quote

Man, I wish I would have known that sooner!! I am stuck working next weekend. It would have been great to get together with some of the other board members. I will keep checking the posts and see what comes up. Thanks for letting me know that they are shoots going on in my area.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Actually it was at Jay's in Clare... Today was the first time I've been there since I'd moved to Florida 10 years ago... Nice to be back home again.

A shoot would be a great idea... I'd drive down to Detroit or Flint for that... [;)]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Actually it was at Jay's in Clare... Today was the first time I've been there since I'd moved to Florida 10 years ago... Nice to be back home again.

A shoot would be a great idea... I'd drive down to Detroit or Flint for that... [;)]
View Quote

you off on the 30th?
about 5 or 6 of us are getting together in lapeer.
see the post titled "pit crew".
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ahh, the home of the world famous Beef Jerky Outlet.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Ahh, the home of the world famous Beef Jerky Outlet.
View Quote

hell's yeah!!!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#13]
DarkStar,

You tried, that's the best you can do. You can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped. Some people are more willing to open their wallets than learn something. His loss.

coyote3
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Actually it was at Jay's in Clare...

snip
View Quote

Jay's is a nice place. I figured it would be your general hunting/fishing store, til i found Armalites and Bushy's on display racks. My kinda of store [:)]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top