Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2002 6:07:45 AM EDT
I feel guilty. I'm 60 and have only given blood 8 times in my life. Just got back from number 8. I signed up to give again 8/17. Going to get my gallon pin this year.
If you are physically and mentally able to give think hard about doing it. Blood is in short supply. You never know when you or someone you love will need it. The person who took mine said that the age range was 17-18 and then people over 40.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:26:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I tried last week in the middle of the day.  There was a two hour wait to get seated so I left.  

The Red Cross always says that there's a blood shortage, but I think the real shortage is the number of Red Cross blood teams.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to give blood on a regular basis - every 8 weeks as soon as I turned 18.

For some reason, I could always fill that 1 pint bag up pretty quick - without even trying.  It got to the point where I was filling the bag in under 3 minutes every time - and it was causing me to black out, turn green, all sorts of weird stuff.

Last time I gave, the Red Cross lady said I turned green, drifted in and out of consciousness, and then finally got my color back when the bag was full.  They still wouldn't let me out of the chair for another 30 minutes.  Then they also recommended that I not give blood anymore - it was putting too high a strain on my system.  [:\]

the_reject
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:42:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I and a lot of other veterans are not allowed to give anymore.
We served in Europe during the 80s and someone is scared we might start snorting, pawing the ground and then charge anyone wearing red.  Mad Cow Disease you know.  Funny thing is my doctor told me there isn't one case of MCD being passed from bovine to human.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I would love to keep giving blood, but have stopped doing so, since the last three times I became disoriented and dizzy afterwards for the rest of the day.  [:(]

Has this happened to anyone else?
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#5]
last time i gave was in somalia.
rather not do it again, thank you.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would love to keep giving blood, but have stopped doing so, since the last three times I became disoriented and dizzy afterwards for the rest of the day.  [:(]

Has this happened to anyone else?
View Quote

you could be diabetic.
have your blood sugar checked.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Last time I tried to give blood, the Red Cross tore up my donor card.  Big arms and rolling veins are one tuff combination.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Last time my wife gave blood she passed out and peed her pants. Needless to say, she won't do it anymore.

I've never given blood. My wife tells me they ask if you have gotten any tattoos in the past six months, and to this I can always answer yes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I can barely stand the thought of giving blood. The last time I gave blood for my yearly HAZMAT physical I got cold chills, dizzy and I thought I was going to puke and that was only one little vial.

It must have been pretty funny watching a big 6'2" 250 guy squirm in that little chair like that. I think I drank about 10 cups of water before I got up.

I can take cuts, burns and bones about to pop out of the skin but drawing blood is the limit.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I go through apheresis about every 2 months.  I've been doing it for the last 20 years or so. Started by donating platelets for a friend's little girl who was diagnosed with leukemia. She survived, and she likes to shoot (?!).  Takes about an hour or so, blood comes out of one elbow, gets the platelets filtered out, and it's pumped back in the other elbow.  No hassles with feeling faint or weird afterwards. Once you're on the blood bank list as a clean donor, they won't leave you alone.  

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I give blood all the time.  I never really [i]want[/i] to do it, but when I leave I feel pretty good about it, especially after 6 or 7 free cookies [:)]  As a matter of fact, my next appointment is Tuesday.

95% of all Americans will need blood at some point in their life.  I think less than 5% actually give.  Chances are that I'll need blood someday, and I don't want to be part of that percentage that literally sucks the life out of people without even thinking of giving back.  I actively try to get people to donate blood now.  Most people don't realize that without people like me, they would be S.O.L.  They think that blood for surgeries and emergencies comes from some magic place, pre-packaged and wrapped in plastic like steak from a grocery store.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#13]
The only times I let my blood be taken is for medical tests. I'm a big wuss when it comes to that, which is weird because I don't have a problem with seeing blood or even seeing my own blood from a cut or gash, but having it taken just makes me all wimpy.

One time I actually passed out, and the other times I came close to it. One time I almost passed out just thinking about it. Maybe it's my blood pressure, as sometimes when I stand up really fast I get disoriented. Or maybe I'm just a wimp. :(
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Dammit, I want to, but they said my vein was too small!  Can you believe it?  ERRGH!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I gave blood until I found out how much the hospitals actually charge patients for it while browsing one of my grandfather's hospital bills.  I'd have no problem giving it freely if they in turn gave it out freely as needed.  Perhaps all the costs are involved with "processing" and whatnot, but it was still very expensive.  I have trouble with large corporations (what hospitals are nowadays) making a dime on my time, pain, and discomfort when they'd still charge me $500 to sit in a bed for a day if I needed to.  Of course, I have health insurance, but regarless of that, you're the one ultimately paying those costs one way or another.

Rocko
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#18]
They don't want mine...   Had hepatitis A and B..   A was from a Mexican restaurant in Houston in the late 60s and B from an unethical Biological Lab in the late 70s...
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Let me say this from my heart.  SCREW the Red Cross.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
 Mad Cow Disease you know.  Funny thing is my doctor told me there isn't one case of MCD being passed from bovine to human.  Go figure.
View Quote

Your docter is right!  I just won't give blood unless forced--scared shitless of needles.  (I know, I know-you don't have to tell me)
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#21]
The last time I gave blood was about 1985. Then they came up with this "new" virus called HIV.[X] Sorry, I'm OUT!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I've given 5+ gallons total.  You're right, once you're on the list (and O+) they don't leave you alone.  The last time the nurse nicked a nerve or something and  the stick and pumping was a little painful.  Now  I have  a puddle of blood near my elbow that looks like a bruise.       Like any large org. the RC is bound to have a few bad apples (thieves) and I decided to not give them money but the volunteers that I've met and talked to are generally very good people.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I give blood every 6 months and have since I was 18 (now 41). I have the desireable "0 negative" blood type, and since it does not have any negative effects on me, I just do it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Due to a childhood illness I cannot give blood.  I sincerely wish I could though.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I used to donate blood and platelets. But, after living in the UK for four years, they've tossed me to the curb.

Moo!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#27]
My last time was when they loudly asked me all those personal questions about medications in a no-privacy setting, with plenty of people around who knew me but not close friends.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 1:23:51 AM EDT
[#28]
As I sit here bored Sh*tless in a Blood Bank tonight, I'll respond to Rocko:

I gave blood until I found out how much the hospitals actually charge patients for it while browsing one of my grandfather's hospital bills. I'd have no problem giving it freely if they in turn gave it out freely as needed. Perhaps all the costs are involved with "processing" and whatnot, but it was still very expensive. I have trouble with large corporations (what hospitals are nowadays) making a dime on my time, pain, and discomfort when they'd still charge me $500 to sit in a bed for a day if I needed to. Of course, I have health insurance, but regarless of that, you're the one ultimately paying those costs one way or another.

Rocko
View Quote

The Blood you donate freely--paid Red Cell donations have gone away because of the people who would donate just for the money (a lot of them were disease test positive, but would lie on the questionaires to be sure they would get the money)--goes through a lot of testing before it is given to a patient.

The blood is typed and antibody screened (let's say you are "O +" and have a negative antibody screen).  It is then separated into Packed Red Blood Cells (RBC's), Platelets, and Fresh Frozen Plasma.  Other products might be made from it (Cryoprecipitate from the plasma, for example), but for simplicity's sake, let's say it is a basic donation without any special processing.  Each of those components goes into a sterile bag, non-pyrogenic and non-allergenic.  It gets labeled with the type and expiration date, along with a lot of other misc. information.  The expiration date is 42 days for the Red Cells (if Adsol is added), 5 days for the platelets, and 1 year for the Fresh Frozen plasma.

Then the testing begins--your blood is tested for Syphillis, Cytomegalovirus antibodies, HIV 1 and 2 antibodies, HTLV-1 antibodies, Hep. B Surface Antigen,  Hep. B Core Antigen, Hep. C antibodies, HIV-1 p24 Antigen.  If all the tests are negative (if you have been vaccinated against Hep. B, the Hep. B Surface Ag will be positive).  

Let's say all your testing is negative.....

To be continued.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 1:33:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Continued......

At that point, your blood is labeled for use, and shipped out to a hospital.  At the hospital, a tech will confirm the typing on the unit, and put it into stock.

When a patient needs blood, the Doctor or Nurse sends a "Clot"--Blood Bank sample for type and crossmatching on their patient.  The Blood Bank Tech (that would be me tonight) gets the clot, checks the labeling on the clot and the requisition that comes with it.  If it is incorrect (misspelled name, wrong #, improperly handwritten, etc) he calls the nurse that drew the sample and she whines and moans about how hard a stick the patient is, and can't we use it anyway.  After the Tech finally makes it clear to the nurse that the sample is unacceptable, and she will have to draw another one, she curses at him in Tagalog, and hangs up.  She then has her Resident call back and tell the Tech that since he is a Doctor, the Tech should accept the clot and get to work.  The Tech then trumps the Resident by offering to call the Blood Bank Attending (Pathologist) Physician at 3:00am to wake him up and have him talk to the Resident about what a Blood Bank sample needs to have before it can be accepted.  The Resident decides that it might be better to redraw the sample, anyway.

All the while, your unit of blood is sitting in the refrigerator (RBC's), freezer (FFP) or room temp. rotator (platelets).

To be continued....
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 1:39:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Finally, the Nurse draws the right sample on the patient, and gets it to the Blood Bank.  This time, it is acceptable.  

The Blood Bank Tech (that would be Me) then gets to work.  He types and screens the sample, takes your Red Blood Cells and mixes a cell suspension with the patients serum.  If no agglutination occurs, he labels the blood for the patient, and releases it on demand.  

The blood flows into the patient's arm, and raises his Hemoglobin by 1gm/dL.  Might be just enough to save their life.  

That unit of blood you donated has gone through at least a dozen tests, has to have the history of the unit stored for over 10 years (maybe longer--due to HIV, the storage requirements for records keep going up). Which is the major reason that hosptials charge so much for the "free" donation.  About $300, maybe a little more for the initial type and screen, right?

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 1:41:24 AM EDT
[#31]
To those of you who don't like the Red Cross--

Look into local blood centers.  Where I work, the hospital has it's own donor center for in-house stocking, and also gets it's blood from the Red Cross and a Local Blood service.  There are lots of these local services all across the country.

AFARR
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:33:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My last time was when they loudly asked me all those personal questions about medications in a no-privacy setting, with plenty of people around who knew me but not close friends.
View Quote

I was not asked any questions. I was given a form that had questions on it. The only thing I said out loud was my name and date of birth. I was behind a screen when I filled out the form and behind another when they took my vitals. If they had done to me what they did to you I don't know if I would go back.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:18:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The last time I gave blood was about 1985. Then they came up with this "new" virus called HIV.[X] Sorry, I'm OUT!
View Quote

You cannot get HIV from donating blood.  HIV is transmitted through the exchange of body fluids.  You can't get it from a clean needle.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:16:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Do they pay you by the pint?

I need money.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#35]
The local Red Cross calls me every six months to donate. My blood type is very rare AB-so it gets a special green tag. It isn't easy to go because a couple of the last times i gave the people screwed up putting the needle in! Nothing like a black and blue, sore forearm for a few days for my good deed.  Ben  
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:42:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:48:39 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't mind gore and blood and all that stuff.. but if I see my blood going into a sack it's over with.. if I don't look its fine.. I hate getting bloodwork done.. I cannot stand it..
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:56:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Ok, here is my beef about giving blood.

I started giving blood when I was 18.  Sounds like a lot of folks had the same civics teacher I had.  I have donated for more than 10 years.

I recently been promoted to a new job in my company and that jobs requires me to travel overseas to our various offices.

Three or four times a year I travel to Europe and Asia.  (Germany, France, Demark, Singapore, Japan, China, etc)

So, last week I get the call from the Red Cross that I need to give blood.  Cool, I call back, check my schedule and make an appointment.  I go down, fill out the never-ending questionnaire, and get told that I'm no longer acceptable as a blood donor.

Why?

You travel to much.

I have to wait a year due to my travels in Europe (Mad Cow).  I have to wait five years due to my travels in Asia due to Malaria.

Not Good.  I’m pissed.  And all the news media does is whine about nobody wants to give blood.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#39]
I usually donate once a year, and donated last year at the local blood drive.  I prefer the blood drive because I don't have to wait as long, and the place is full of hot babes donating blood.  

It is a local blood center, and not the Red Cross.  They have not sold my information, but the do call me all the time like a vampire wanting a meal.  My father used to donate all the time, until they told him not to (I forget why).  I will probably go again in September.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#40]
I use to donate Blood every 90 days until I was sent to Southwest Asia by the A.F. Now they tell me I can't donate Blood for a whole YEAR!  Also I am prime for another tour in Southwest Asia or Africa and it will be year from that return date. I need to stay home!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't give blood very often, maybe once or twice a year.  I do give platelets every 3 or 4 months.  Was going to give blood a couple weeks ago but my guess is I'm going to have to have my gall bladder cut out so I am thinking keep it for myself...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#42]
The last time for me was when I ended up on a guys windshield...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Junior yr of high school (class of '87).  The teacher in charge of the school blood drive was the American Lit teacher & as an incentive to donate she would give extra credit *test* points (towards final grade) to anyone who volunteered.  I was wavering between a B+/A- in the class & decided to play it safe.  Plus you got to skip other classes while you gave+ orange juice & cookies!  Seemed like a good idea at the time.... afterwards I realized how much I don't like needles & seeing my own blood (or anyone elses).  Which explains why I don't have any tattoos or piercings to this day while several friends do.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#44]
I give blood every 8 weeks or whatever the requirement is.  My University has a Bloodmobile every day of the year in the main area students go through for classes.  It is a good feeling when I am done, and I even get a free t-shirt!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I gave about two weeks ago.

They sent me some award for giving twice in one year.

They bother me more than the NRA.

I need to change my address and blood type (O+)
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#46]
My employer arranges for Bloodmobile twice per year.. donate each session if I am not traveling.  No adverse affects and I feel good about doing it.
Bravo5-2
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#47]
I used to give blood quite regularly.  I have given over 2 gallons since high school.  Now every time that you go, there are more and more reasons that will prevent you from giving blood.  Very soon the only persons who will be able to give blood with be the newborn, and maybe not even then!   This is one O negative who is just fed up with the whole thing.

Vulcan94

"Edited cause I can't remember my own RH factor"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top