Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2002 5:56:18 PM EDT
It looks like a terrible mess up there.
We just went through the same thing here in Prescott with the Indian fire.
I can't belive the mentality of the woman who started the Chediski fire, thought she was lost so she started a signal fire!!! Well! It worked now you can see it 23 miles up....
I hope you all are safe.
Terry
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#1]
... This is a total bummer. The wildfire is bigger than any in recent history here. It is completely out of control and it looks as it may burn down the cabin I designed and built in Heber the early 90's.

... I'm asking my employer if I can get some of my "comp" days to assist in its arrest tomorrow.

... Pray for rain
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Just heard on the news, the fire has burned 85,000 acres.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I beleve that woman that was caught with the Chediski fires story about as far as I can throw her.

I think they just found the cause of BOTH these fires and cant prove it yet...
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I beleve that woman that was caught with the Chediski fires story about as far as I can throw her.

I think they just found the cause of BOTH these fires and cant prove it yet...
View Quote

... Meaning what?

... Or does it make you uncomfortable saying it on the Internet?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
She is the arsonist that started both these fires.

Except we don't know 100 percent that the first fire was arson.

But these are both man made, there was no lightning, no power lines down. Just a question of whether its a accident or on purpose.

A signal fire? In this weather? Maybe...or maybe she just didn't count on a news helicopter spotting her before she could get away?

No one finds the timing of the fires and the proximity to one another the least bit suspicious? Coincidence does happen occasionally but...
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#6]
... Oh I see.

IIRC the lost womenz spotted the news chopper first and then "signaled" her rescue by torching a brush.

Stupid bitch
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
... Oh I see.

IIRC the lost womenz spotted the news chopper first and then "signaled" her rescue by torching a brush.

Stupid bitch
View Quote

That is what SHE said... that don't make it fact, since the potential is for considerable prison time..
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#8]
We need a rain dance.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#9]
... [b]DAMN[/b]

Fox 10 just announced for the complete evacuation of Show Low (12,000 heads)

Only emergency and VOLUNTEERS are staying.

The fire breached the Heber-Overgaard line and it looks like my cabin is going soon.

Several homes next to the fire station, about 1/2 mile from my place, are burning now.

I'm trying to charter a small fixed wing aircraft to take pictures if I can tomorrow.
I'll post photos if so.

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#10]
... This may be why we can't get anything from our brothers & sisters up north.

"[b]Internet provider struggles to keep crucial link running[/b]"
[url]http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0622Fire-internet22.html[/url]

... SHTF topics are usually 99.9% theory on this board. For almost 15,000 of our neighbors in the mountains Shit-Hit-Their-Fans this week. I can only imagine their sorrow and anger.

... Say a prayer for them
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#11]
WW -
After your recon, let us know what the situation is up there...
I feel bad for the people who lost their homes and any memories they couldn't collect and save.
I hope you faired well.
Terry
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
WW -
After your recon, let us know what the situation is up there...
I feel bad for the people who lost their homes and any memories they couldn't collect and save.
I hope you faired well.
Terry
View Quote

... Thanks for your thoughts [b]AZ_Sky[/b], I'm getting the feeling that folks outside of Arizona just don't realize or understand the MAGNITUDE of this huge issue.

... Forest fires have been a natural occurrence for millenniums however, when friends and family (nearing 20,000 belly buttons now) are losing their homes it really hurts.

... My heart goes out to our brethren up north.

... This displaces more Americans from their homes than any terrorist activity so far.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 12:34:12 AM EDT
[#13]
.... One last unabashed BTT before I go to bed.

... I sure wished ya'll knew how big this bastage is.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:09:29 AM EDT
[#14]
[img]www.azcentral.com/slideshows/gifs/0622fire13.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:35:51 AM EDT
[#15]
... Well it's expected to burn down today. Many lovely mornings and sunsets were spent on this deck. Damn shame.
For a bit more on current conditions in Heber-Overgaard see: [url]http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0623fire-heber23.html[/url]
[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/winston_wolf/Cabin.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Did you get your flight?

Or is there a no fly zone now over the area to keep people from colliding with air tankers?
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did you get your flight?

Or is there a no fly zone now over the area to keep people from colliding with air tankers?
View Quote

... The pilot called me this morning with reservations and begged out. I can understand it too. The airspace up there is crowded with all kinds of traffic.

... Including "Looky Lous"

This map clearly shows that the fire over ran the my cabin just north of Overgaard.

I hope it's wrong but who knows?
[img]http://www.arizonarepublic.com/news/gifs/0623rimfiremap.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#18]
They will find out who started this catastrophic fire.And I hope they make an example of them.Then take on the f#*king tree-huggers that won't let the forest service do their jobs. This has just become the largest wild fire ever in the United States ever according to local Phoenix news.I pray for all those people up north. A real tragic event caused by some knucklehead.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Saddly alot of this could have been prevented if the damn tree huggers and the courts hadn't stopped the logging up there.

I camped up there last summer, and I noted to my friends that the area was severely overgrown. I noted that it wouldn't take much to loose all of this.

So, the spotted owl lovers have just lost their precious forest that they love, because THEY stopped the logging and forest management.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#20]
... Even Governor Hull (I can't stand her) was wagging her finger at Washington and the tree hugging policy makers today.  

Says [i]"get out of Arizona's business"[/i] (right on)

... I'm sure she got an ear full from locals this past week to prompt her.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#21]
The law suits are only going to get worse now that the people who lost homes and their insurance companies are going to countersue the US Government and hopefully the enviromental groups that filed the original suits.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:44:01 AM EDT
[#22]
D*mn, Winston.  That looks exactly like my aunt's house.  Same deck, same windows, everything.

Sympathies.  I hope you rebuild.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Winston: Damn-that shit pisses me off to no end. My deepest sorrow for all who'll lose up there. In case none of the other AR15ers don't know, that is (was?) some TRULY beautiful country up there. I'm about to quit my current job to be self-employed, and I know my GF would let me head up there to help out in any way possible, if they'd actually accept volunteer help. Hell, at least me and my dreaded assault weapon could keep any lowlife looters at bay, if nothing else. I also cook a pretty mean chili, a screaming jambalaya, and I got breakfast food down to a science. Be happy to pay my own way and assist any way I can.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#24]
.... Even though the fire is zero contained the excellent hotshot crews didn't allow even one structure to burn today! Right on!

I know how you feel [b]gamesniper[/b], I feel so helpless.  I wish I could assist in some way. You're right, it's absolutely gorgeous up there. Many folks don't even realize how large and beautiful our forests are.

That was the second cabin I built in my life. I guess the third one will be the charm!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#25]
[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&519&e=9&u=/ap/20020624/ap_on_re_us/wildfires_thinning_2[/url]

For Jim Cundiff, 52, who was waiting to find out if flames had wiped out his Linden home, it may be too late.

"There's a fairly well meaning, but totally ignorant group of people in this community who think you can manage the environment in a hands-off manner, but these people don't live out here," he said. "Don't come up here in designer clothes and an SUV and tell me you love the woods. There's no more trees to hug."
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:03:35 AM EDT
[#26]
... Isn't that the truth [b]ArmdLbrl[/b].

[i][b]"Don't come up here in designer clothes and an SUV and tell me you love the woods. There's no more trees to hug."[/b][/i]

... anybody that frequents the area know that there is no room for bleeding heart liberals up there. Yeah, you'll get the seasonal downhill racers and the weekend soccermom/family campers visiting. However, the indigenous folks and people that have weekend/summer/hunting/permanent abodes there don't tolerate outside influence when it comes to Game & Fish, Forestry and Second Amendment issues. [i]"A country boy will survive!"[/i]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:50:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Woo Hoo, this will be my last post on this thread I hope.

I [b]JUST[/b] found out that the map here is in error.

Specifically, local Channel 12 news [b]JUST[/b] reported that [i]Buckskin Acres[/i] and [i]Forest Lane[/i] homes are intact! Man, not knowing conditions is the worst part of this.

My prayers are with those not quite as fortunate.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#28]
They just announced numbers to call for federal aid for residents affected by the fire.  The numbers are:

800-621-3361
800-462-7585 (hearing impaired)

Winston, I hope your place isn't one of the ones lost, but it's at least good to know you're safe either way.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Here's the map from the USFS website. Updated Sunday.

Don't Tread...

[img]http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/asnf/bboard/pageprogression624amx.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#30]
One more thing. This thread needs to be tacked!

So many armchair apocolypse-ophiles and when very very bad Ju-ju is happening we still get goddam Peanut Butter threads and "Pics of your wife with her favorite vibrator" threads.

Jeez!

Don't Tread...
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#32]
There is a lot to be lost for sure,hope it don't get Zane Greys cabin.

Hearts out for you guys,I was an Oklahoma City firefighter,but structural and grass fires are a whole different thing than forest fires,

Good luck.         Bob
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Hey Bobbyjack ,
Zane Greys cabbin went up in flames almoet 10 years ago in the DUDE FIRE. That fire cost 4 or 5 lives. And now we got more.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Woo Hoo, this will be my last post on this thread I hope.

I [b]JUST[/b] found out that the map here is in error.

Specifically, local Channel 12 news [b]JUST[/b] reported that [i]Buckskin Acres[/i] and [i]Forest Lane[/i] homes are intact! Man, not knowing conditions is the worst part of this.

My prayers are with those not quite as fortunate.
View Quote

Better rent that plane and do a flyover!  Hope your cabin is still fine!
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

"There's a fairly well meaning, but totally ignorant group of people in this community who think you can manage the environment in a hands-off manner, but these people don't live out here," he said. "Don't come up here in designer clothes and an SUV and tell me you love the woods. There's no more trees to hug."
View Quote

View Quote
This same thing can be said for the anti-gunners, except leave out the 'well meaning' and emphasize 'ignorant' and add 'power hungry'.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I feel for you guys out there. Lord knows FL went up in in smoke a few years ago, and we are like a tinder box right now. Finally getting a little rain, but need more. Hopefully they can get your fires under control soon. Stay safe.
View Quote

... Speaking of rain, yesterday on my way home from work I was listening to a DJ on KUPD 97.9 (thee rock-n-roll station here) invite an Indian medicine man to perform a rain prayer (dance) on air for us. It was done in excellent and respectful taste.
Mind you we haven't had rain in MONTHS. Anyway this elder recited a prayer, on air live, asking the Gods for rain in his Navajo tongue (DaNe?) to help in the big fire here. After a commercial break the Navajo medicine man came back to translate in English.

... Well, today it rained for the first time in a LONG time.

Wow!

Now it wasn't a lot but it did seem to be enough to retard explosive growth like the past week.

... Things that make you go humph?

Link Posted: 6/28/2002 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#37]
[i]... Better rent that plane and do a flyover![/i]
View Quote

... Renting a Cessna 172 tomorrow. I'll post pix
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top