Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/19/2002 11:16:37 AM EDT
My wife and I were discussing one of the topics yesterday and I made the comment that I felt that the majority of the members here seemed to be somewhat educated and that of those that were employed most seemed to have decent jobs. I'm not trying to be nosy, just curious.

Simply put, are you:

1. College degree/ white collar job.

2. College degree/ blue collar job.

3. No college degree/ white collar job.

4. No college degree/ blue collar job.

It may be oversimplified but you get the idea.

For those that are unemployed or retired, please enter your pre-retirement/pre-unemployed status.

I think most here know the difference between white and blue collar jobs, BUT just in case I have provided the terms as described in Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.

White collar - of, relating to or constituting the class of salaried employees whose duties do not call for the wearing of work clothes or protective clothing.

Blue collar - of, relating to or constituting the class of wage earners whose duties call for the wearing of work clothes or protective clothing.

Interpret these definitions as you will.

I'll try to add a poll. But computers confuse me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Education: BS Mechanical Engineering, MBA

Profession: Software Engineer

- CD
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Where I work now, I don't need to wear a suit...but, every other job I've had previously, I was required to be in suit, tie, the whole thing.

Now, I can wear my camo cutoffs with impunity where I work :)

If I were doing this job at the other places I worked, though, I'd be back in a monkeysuit.

Ed
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#6]
BA - History
BA - Politcal Science
Virginia Military Institute
State University of New York at Binghamton

JD - Law
Hofstra University School of law

edited because I didn't know people were being so specific...

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#7]
BA Psych
BS Comp Sci
some graduate school
currently underemployed in Info Tech.
hope to begin masters in history in fall

probably should have been a carpenter.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#8]
3. No college degree/ white collar job.

(Tech School - Visual Programming & Web Development)

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#9]

I haven't finished my education.

I'm still learning new things each day.

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#11]
they are all nerds

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=90573[/url]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#12]
BSCE '95 Civil Engineering

Currently working for a consulting firm designing city streets.

Engineering is considered a "white collar" profession but I somtimes wonder!  LOL

BBURN
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#13]
A bunch of college educated, white collar workers on an internet chat board, go figure.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Doctorate of Love...

But not spelling.

Oh, yeah... #1.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Satellite Operations Engineer, no college degree, but lots of military training.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#16]
You forgot "some college, blue collar"...

Then, there are the guys I work with that have 1, 2, or more degrees and have chosen to work in the Transit industry as a driver or supervisor.
Interesting Topic.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Education - BS, MBA
Profession during the week - Director of Membership for a Professional Trade Organization
Profession on weekends - Portrait/Boudoir/Wedding Photographer
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A bunch of college educated, white collar workers on an internet chat board, go figure.
View Quote

So ya' gotta' be educated to own a computer?

Go run this poll on Assaultweb or AK-47.net and compare results.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#19]
BA in History.  Blue collar worker for the last 10 years.  Of course I have one of the easiest, highest paying jobs in the company, but that comes with senority.  I've always made good money at the company, but it wasn't always the easiest.

I make about as much as I did when I was a CPT in the Army, if you subtract the flight pay I used to get.  That's an interesting observation in itself.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Attended college but decided that I could make more money working rather than waiting for someone else to cut a check so I went out in the world and conquered.

"retired" when I was 27, got bored, started a few small companies, built them up and sold them. Now I'm 32 and bored again.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I have 20 years of education...

I went through 10th grade twice.

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I got my B.S. (bullshit) degree from the Ozark Institute of Applied Backwoods Technology and Creative Uses of Bailing Wire. I was the VICE President of the I-Tappa-Kegga Fraternity, and wrote my thesis on the Gozintas. You know, 2 gozinta 4, 4 gozinta 8, 8 gozinta 16, etc.[moon]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#23]
BTT for the night shift.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#24]
No college degree and I have lost my shirt.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You forgot "some college, blue collar"...

View Quote

This applies to me. Ran out of money for college. I had some loans but I needed to pay them off (just finished paying them). I didn't get many grants, etc...

Associates of Applied Science in Electronics

Some day I would like to actually get my BSEE.

I also like Metalurgy, Mechanical Engineering and Physics.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I teach special ed.  Do rubber gloves count as protective gear?  Is it white collar or blue collar?  I don't think I make enough money to qualify as white collar. [:)]  Well, college plus 45 units of credential courses with a few more to go.  Sky blue collar, I guess.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#27]
AGS
BS
MSQ
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#28]
BS Psychology
Pursuing MS Psychology

Work with Seriously mentally ill who have head traumas.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Education: 8th grade at a religious school.  In other words, lot's of history and Latin, but no math or science classes.

Profession: general manager.  It's a white-collar job, but I still have to wear a uniform because I often have to cover for guys that don't show-up for work.z
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:44:48 PM EDT
[#30]
This is my last semester!  Will hopefully graduate in December with a business degree in merchandising managment from UK.  I plan on trying to go to Law School if I can get in, cumlative 3.7 GPA or enter into the MBA program.  Life is full of choices!   BTW, I have not ruled out trying to get on with the ATF.  [:)]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:51:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Morgan, are you considering going over to the dark side? [shock]

Thanks for all the pointers to cheap ammo. You saved me some money and at the same time made me spent a lot of money!
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:54:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:29:12 AM EDT
[#33]
BS in CS (computer science)

Application Developer (programmer)
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:00:32 AM EDT
[#34]
BS Microbiology and Chem
MD Family practice

Went in Marines at 17
factory work for a year
College as above
Mayo Clinic as a Microbiologist
Med School
Residency
etc.

Maybe I'll get to rest when I'm dead...Maybe.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:36:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Sr. French Frie maker at McDonald...with no high school diplomat.....I know....I can't spell either.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:40:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
BS Psychology
Pursuing MS Psychology

Work with Seriously mentally ill who have head traumas.
View Quote

BWAAAAHAHAHA!  Now I know why you are here...[:D]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Morgan, are you considering going over to the dark side? [shock]
View Quote

I'd work there too if I could somehow make my form 4's move along in a few days instead of months. [:D]

Quoted:
Sr. French Frie maker at McDonald...with no high school diplomat.....I know....I can't spell either.
View Quote

Ya right. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:44:49 AM EDT
[#38]
BS- Forestry from Virginia Tech
Minor in History and in Math

Consulting forester= Blue Collar

Have to wear snake chaps this time of year
and I am usually sweating my balls off in the summer time cruising timber when most people are sitting in an air conditioned office.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
BS Microbiology and Chem
MD Family practice

Went in Marines at 17
factory work for a year
College as above
Med School
Residency
View Quote

Hey [b]drjarhead[/b], who did you work with at Mayo?

I was offered a post-doc there in Chella David's lab. Turned it down though - too damn cold!!

Chose UA instead. [puke]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:12:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Yesterday I spent about two hours brainstorming names for a new product we may manufacture.  It's fun to develop words that aren't in the dictionary.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:18:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#42]
No degree/White collar

Going into my 3rd year of Nursing.

But...

Had 2 years of Computer technology (and some MCSE crapola).

Also had 2 years of Law Enforcement (Law & Society).

Can you tell I am confused? [%|][%|][%|]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BS Microbiology and Chem
MD Family practice

Went in Marines at 17
factory work for a year
College as above
Med School
Residency
View Quote

Hey [b]drjarhead[/b], who did you work with at Mayo?

I was offered a post-doc there in Chella David's lab. Turned it down though - too damn cold!!

Chose UA instead. [puke]
View Quote

The cold ain't that bad. you get used to it. The key to surviving winters up here is to get out. Snowmobiling, skiing,etc. Plenty of people up here hide in their homes for 6 months of the year--they get a little wierd by the end of winter. I'd move south if I had to do that.

At Mayo I worked with Dr. Tom Smith. Did Virology and Parasitology. Very interesting work-state of the art at that time. I left there in 1990.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Working -slowly- on an EE degree while being an engineer with no degree.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#45]
BS Horticulture - Washington State University  [b] GO COUGARS!!![/B]

With that, I [b]could[/b] go work for a consultant firm (Wilbur Ellis) or USDA or WA Dept of Ag.

What do I do- Farm.  Took over the family farm.  Didn't like the idea of a desk job or riding around in a truck all day looking at peoples fields for 10 hours a day.  I have buddies that do that.... I like being my own boss.  (Hey, I could yell at myself for being on the computer right now, but I had to do payroll...hee, hee, hee)  Granted, I put in 14 hours on my own place.... at my choosing.

For play $$$$, I took a part time job as a public employee.... school bus driver.  (I call it baby sitter w/ a CDL)
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Operatorerror, You should add fulltime student to your poll. I get the feeling there are alot of us on this board.

Also I think webster's definitions of white/blue collar are outdated by about 30 years or so. There are many clerics and other low level office workers now who I would not consider white collar. To me white collar means someone who has some authority or actally makes decsions, no just anyone who doesn't wear a uniform or protective clothing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#47]
No College  (HS Dropout)

Blue Collar  (Carpenter)

I make sure to take my kids to work with me, when I can.  To show them how hard you have to work, when you're a dumbass and don't get an education.  
So far, they are all honor roll students.[:D]

Hopefully, they will make lots o' money and support me in my old age[^]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#48]
BS math
Grad school drop out (had a teaching assistant job to pay for school, and sitting there watching my student loans from undgrad school grow got to be too much so I dropped out)

Working in the actuarial department of an insurance company now. I'd like to get out and do something that creates something other than another man's wealth. We'll see once I pay off Wells Fargo for my student loans.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#49]
A.A.S. Mechanical Drafting Technology
B.S. Industrial Technology, Drafting & Design
Minor CIS
Graduate Certificate in CIS

Working as a Designer (glorified draftsman) for a defense contractor on Patrick AFB in FL.

Currently trying to get hired by the US Border Patrol.

[b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis!![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#50]
BS in Optical Science (Laser and fiber optic stuff not eyes).  Only took 7 years between working full time and messing around.  No I work for a small optics company as a application engineer, technical sales and network admin all rolled into one.  Love the job it was worth the effort.  I don't feel at all bad about taking so long to finish because I got lucky and met my wife in school.  She is the smart one.  BS in engineering physics AND math and a MS in Physics and she did all that in 6 years.

Robert
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top