Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2011 12:21:14 PM EDT
You can imagine how horrified I was to learn that in Canada original Swiss Luger magazines cost $200.  While greatly discouraged at this bloodcurdling tariff, I called Mr. P08. and sought his sagacious counsel.

He advised me to purchase some MecGar Luger magazines which are modern reproductions made in Italy.

I ordered two magazines at $36.95 a piece that  arrived today.   I was very, very impressed

The two magazines are both nickel plated and the magzine bodies are exactly the same in every way as the Swiss-made orginal.  The magazine buttons are nicely checkered and the magazine spring is extremely stiff––as it ought to be.

The magazine baseplates are a quality plastic and they are almost identical with the original Swiss baseplate.  The only difference is that original Swiss baseplates were made of bakelite whereas MecGar uses a stronger modern plastic.

Both MecGar magazines fit perfectly with both magazines locking rigidly in place. Both magazines held the toggle open properly.

I have yet to fire any ammo with these magazines, but it seems to me that MecGar has succeeded in producing an extremely high quality magazine for the Luger.   The MecGar follower appears to be a casting whereas the original Swiss follower was a stamped part.  The MecGar follower is not quite as attractive as the Swiss part; however, I doubt that there would be any functional difference.

In conclusion, if the Swiss were building Lugers today, I am sure that they would probably buy their magazines from MecGar.  I never expected these reproduction magazines to be of this level of quality and it is very plain to me that MecGar went to a lot of trouble to produce a magazine that would please even Georg Luger himself.

So if you have a Luger, buy yourself some MecGar magazines.

Fluffy.

P.S.  I downloaded this picture from MecGar's web site.  Apparently these magazines sell for $45 in the US.  (They are about $3 cheaper here)

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you try boiling the mags?

MecGar is good to go.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw these on MidwayUSA before a while back. Glad to hear they work as well as MecGars are known to.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#3]

I have never, ever been a gun-boiler.

Fluffy

P.S.  These magazines are so well made, that even boiling won't harm them.  I would venture to say that they are almost schmoe-proof.

Fluffy
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Dear Fluffy,

Could I impose on you to post some pics of your Luger?

Regards,

uxb
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used their mags for several pistols, and never had any complaints.

Will buy more of them, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#6]

I've posted these before, but here you go:

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I just picked one up for my 1918 dwm luger i needed something beside the wood bottom one i had. The guy over on surplus reccomended them as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
$26.99 at CDNN

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/lugpo89mm8rd.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top