Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2011 1:46:11 PM EDT
Well i finally got the inclination to correct the sights on my mosin-nagant.  Was really tiered of it shooting 12+ inches high at 100 yards.  Its a minor annoyance but an annoyance none the less.  Here is how i did it and what you will need to

Parts: (2) 8/32 TP Allen head set screws.  I had 5/16' long ones but shorter would have been better as i had to trim one)

(1) 8/32 tap and proper sized drill bit

(1) aluminum post extension atleast 1.5 inches in length. 8/32 TP

(1) brass knurled cap 8/32 TP

(1) 5/64 allen wrench (will be sacrificed to become your new front sight post)

some form of epoxy adhesive.

(1) drill bit 2-4 sizes larger in diamiter than the aluminum extention.

All parts can be found in the hardware draw sections of your nearest Lowe's home improvement store.  Cost was less than $5  not including the tap and allen wrenches

First knock off your front sight assembly

next knock out the front sight pin

break out your tap and drill bit and drill out the hole in your front sight from the bottom

next run the tap through make sure to start it strait

next  take one of your set screws stick the proper sized wrench into it, and place it next to your standard front sight pin.  Mark the allen wrench +set screw length a little shorter than your standard front sight.(this set screw is the one i had to trim, if you can find shorter i would use it)

(Forgot to take a picture here) but trim the allen wrench to length,  Check in the front sight base to make sure it is long enough, if not try again.

epoxy your new allen wrench sight post into the set screw and let it set.

Next take the aluminum post, 2nd set screw, and brass knurled cap,

put a bit of epoxy into the female end of the  aluminum post and install the 2nd set screw into it with the hex head side out.   You may  not want to go all the way in as it will be resessed deeply., epoxy the male end and install into brass cap.  This is now your elevation adjustment tool.

Next drill out the hole in the sight hood

This is so the aluminum post will fit into the hood.

Let the epoxy set up,  install your new front sight post ( i put a bit of teflon tape onto mine to keep it from moving unless i move it) and your done.

The 5/64 allen wrench is marginally larger in diameter than the standard front sight post, i can not tell a difference when sighting down the rifle.

The hole in my sight hood was drilled a little off. so i had to go a few sizes larger to get clearance.  

Well there you go gents, easy way to correct a mosin that shoots high.

(ETA: FORGOT A PICTURE)

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#1]

i know im not the only one that had this problem
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Most folks just use a pice of black plastic copper wire insulation and slip it over the FS post to do the same thing and not alter the weapon.

Still and all good job.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you check to see if the rear sight elevation piece was on the 100m notch?

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I just use the shrink tubing like the previous poster said.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah i didnt like the tubing over the front post idea, i wanted something i could adjust reliably. It works, its only a front sight base that is easily replaced if needed.  This is more functional in my opinion.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]
9/10
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Wait, you shoot aim it?  I thought they were only good for shooting at night for the fireball effect?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Any thoughts about using an AK or SKS front sight post?
Are they even close to being tall enough?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Most folks just use a pice of black plastic copper wire insulation and slip it over the FS post to do the same thing and not alter the weapon.

Still and all good job.

or, just buy another Mosin for $79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top