Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2002 7:58:19 AM EDT
I just got my daughter an old car that we are fixing up.
It's a 1985 Corvette. The only good thing on it is the drive line.The old owner just had a custom shop build the engine. It has to much performance shit to list.
Other than paint the body is fine.
The interior (other than a new dash) is shot.
Tires have even wear but are done.
It's getting paint on it this Sunday and part of the deal is to have us help with the prep.
My kid is working her ass off on this car and I'm having a great experience working on it with her.
I used to build custom Harley's and cars when I was younger.
I'm not sure why I stopped because this is really rewarding(I don't know maybe the $ ).
My Mom thinks I'm kinda nuts to do this (but she always thought that) and my old man is digging this project and even wants to pay for the interior if the kid helps him with the installation.
I think she will appreciate this more since she is working on it.
We are also going to make her help pay for this by working in our office,which she has already been doing as a member of the family.
I have lots of faith in her and that's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#2]
85 corvette, pretty nice project car for your kid.  My son and I are building a 76 Landcruiser.  It really builds a bond between you and your child and your child and the car for that matter.  They really appreciate the car a lot more when they have their own sweat into it.  Good job.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#4]
My dad bought a 71 stingray for a song when I was 14 and told me I had 2 years to get it running.

I wasn't allowed to work when school was in session and (I know now) dad purposely let things wear out gradually instead of fixing everything at one time.  This taught me a TREMENDOUS amount of mechanics.  I loved driving that car and my principal continually stopped me on the way out from school and tried to buy it from me.

I am 25 now and still have it (just barely managed to keep it in a garage through college).  Now I am restoring and performance upgrading as much as possible without doing a frameoff restoration.  If we still have gasoline then, my kids will drive it.

send me an email if you want to talk....

[email protected]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top