Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:37:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:38:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:10:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:14:38 AM EDT
[#4]
tatjana , here is a link to a cool page. It a medical database on snakebite protocols, they list everyone known to man, taipans, death adders and my favorite , listed below

http://www-surgery.ucsd.edu/ENT/DAVIDSON/snake/proinde.htm

P.S. Do you know anything about karma, I want to come back as a horse.... in Oregon :)

MEDICAL MANAGEMENT
for bites by
Black Mamba
(Dendroaspis polylepis polylepis)
This person has received a bite and probable envenomation from a Black Mamba (Dendroaspis polylepis polylepis). This is an extremely venomous, aggressive, rapidly moving scrub and tree dwelling snake from central, eastern and southern Africa. Clearly the most dangerous of the mambas, it is responsible for many snake bite fatalities. Envenomation signifies a true medical emergency. In this particular species, envenomation usually presents predominately with systemic neurologic manifestations. Drowsiness, neurological and neuromuscular symptoms may develop early; paralysis, ventilatory failure or death often ensue rapidly.

Please read and execute the following procedures without delay.

A crepe bandage and splint have been applied as immediate first aid adjuncts to retard the absorption of the venom. DO NOT remove the bandage or splint until the patient has arrived at the hospital and is receiving the antivenom.

If the patient has been envenomated, the treatment is 4 to 20 vials of intravenous antivenom. Envenomation is diagnosed by the presence of characteristic signs and symptoms. Necessary information follows and is organized in sections:

Signs and Symptoms of Envenomation

Neurological and Neuromuscular: These signs and symptoms will usually manifest earliest. Not all signs and symptoms will necessarily develop, even with severe envenomation.

Respiratory paralysis or Dyspnea

Excessive salivation (Oral secretions may become profuse and thick)

Drowsiness

Restlessness

Sudden loss of consciousness

Ptosis

Ophthalmoplegia

Paresthesias and Dysesthesias

Palatal paralysis

Glossopharyngeal paralysis or Dysphagia

Vertigo

Fasciculations

Limb paralysis

Ataxia

Head drooping (Cervical muscle paresis or paralysis)

Headache

Local pain or Numbness around bite site (tends to be mild)

General: These symptoms typically manifest within thirty minutes to four hours following the bite if envenomation occurred.

Shock

Hypotension

Abdominal Pain (may be severe)

Nausea and Vomiting

Regional lymphadenopathy and Lymphadenalgia

Fever

Epistaxis

Flushing of the face

Warm skin

Increased Sweating

Pallor

Nephrotoxicity: Acute Renal Failure has been reported in a few cases of Black Mamba bites in humans as well as in animal models. Oliguria or Anuria with possible changes in urinary composition will herald the development of renal shutdown. Dialysis is advised.

Cardiotoxicity: Changes in cardiovascular status result primarily from the effects of Circulatory Collapse and Shock, as well as vagal blockade resulting in Tachydysrhythmias. Pulse and pressure may initially be within normal limits, but may change with rapid onset cardiovascular collapse.

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:47:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll bet you can make some sort of sushi with that!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:02:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[center][img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/tatjana%2Fstonefish%2Ejpg[/img][/center]

Deceived by the convincing camouflage, passing victims are swallowed whole as the stonefish makes an unexpectedly energetic lurch forwards.
View Quote

Gee, I hope you're just talking about the victims of smaller stature.  [;)]

Seriously, what coasts do these nasties frequent?

PS (pre-signature, actually, but...)  Thanks for teaching me something before breakfast again; now I can just sleep through the rest of the day!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:18:32 AM EDT
[#7]
South pacific for sure, along with other nasties like cone shells, box jellys (AKA sea wasps), and blue ring octopi
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:25:48 AM EDT
[#8]
What about treating the infected person with a taser?
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:35:27 AM EDT
[#9]
have you ever been to an ibiza foam party?
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:05:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What about treating the infected person with a taser?
View Quote

I would clearly advise against it...  TASERS hurt like hell!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:19:52 AM EDT
[#11]
well if you hadn't tried to put the moves on the girl doing the demos you wouldn't know.

should have listened when she told ya to leave her be... ;)
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#13]
i caught one of these ugly bastards fishing off the Northwest Cape of Australia. tatjana is right, they are the ugliest of the ugly. eyes all bugged out, making some sort of choking sound as it gasped for sea water. Aussie fella comes over and checks it out, steps back and says, "You bettah be chuckin' that fish back in the wattuh, mate!" and proceeded to tell us what the hell it was. i pushed it back to the edge of the fishing pier with end of my pole (my fishing pole, that is) till it fell back it the water. it came back a few years later as my mother in law.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:43:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:44:10 AM EDT
[#15]
As far as locations for them, there are quite a few in the Caribbean and along southern Florida and the keys.  

I've never seen one really close to shore so that you'd get stung on a beach - much higher risk of Sting Rays.  But, you will see them a lot in deeper water, especially while SCUBA diving.  Their camoflage is so great, you won't really notice them sitting on top of a rock, looking like part of it, hence their name.  I have quite a few videos of them.  (LEave nothing but bubbles, take nothing but pictures).
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I think I have seen these in the Red Sea.  If not these, then something very similar and quite venomous.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
...till it fell back it the water. it came back a few years later as my mother in law.
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top