Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2011 2:15:26 PM EDT
I'm looking for a new credit card to replace the one I'm using now.  To start, I mainly use it to pay for purchases online and I never get charged interest because I pay the balance every month.  I don't care about air/hotel rewards as much but which credit cards have the best cash back rewards?  I don't receive any rewards with my current card.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discover runs 5% cash back promotions on different categories every quarter.  1% everywhere else.  Sometimes they offer double cashback on certain online vendors like amazon.  

Some cards offer 2% cashback on all purchases.

Good on you on realizing the purchasing power of credit cards; I've managed to afford an NFA stamp with the cashback on one of my cards.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my Cabela's card. I've got around $90 in points and really only use the card for iTunes, Netflix and stuff at Cabela's.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I just used Skymiles and AMEX points to pay for four tickets to the UK. AMEX has done me pretty well over the years.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#4]
In before you get called a bank slave.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like my Cabela's card. I've got around $90 in points and really only use the card for iTunes, Netflix and stuff at Cabela's.

This. I put everything on it that I can, pay it off every month, and end up with a few hundred $$ a year in points.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on Discover card..

We put just about everything on CC and pay off the balance each month..  With Discover you can exchange some of your rewards for a greater reward (ie exchange $20 for a $25 gift card)..

Brian
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'm looking for a new credit card to replace the one I'm using now.  To start, I mainly use it to pay for purchases online and I never get charged interest because I pay the balance every month.  I don't care about air/hotel rewards as much but which credit cards have the best cash back rewards?  I don't receive any rewards with my current card.
Yeah, I need a new card that pays % rewards

I charge about 20K a month from vendor purchases.

I would be nice to get that $1000.00 back

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an NRA card.  I don't get cash back, but it gives a percent (albiet miniscule) to the NRA.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This. I put everything on it that I can, pay it off every month, and end up with a few hundred $$ a year in points.

I almost never just buy stuff at Cabela's, but I used the card for nearly everything to build up points.  I've spent  almost 6 months in hotels this year while traveling for work, and put all that on my Cabela's card.  Those points really add up!

But honestly, 1% isn't THAT great.  But it's not bad either, and I know Cabela's will always have something I can spend my points on.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Aren't credit cards evil? So is debt, debt is reeeeeal bad. Or so I've read on arfcom.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Discover card
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want straight cash back, instead of a points system or differing categories throuhout the year, capital one is best, imo.

They have a straight 2% cash back card on all purchases. No limitations or exclusions.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 for cabela's card, especially if you can get a black one
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Discover all the way.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Chase Freeedom is a better cash back rewards card than Discover. I have both, they have the exact same quarterly 5% cash back programs except that the cap on DIscover is usually 5% back on up to $300 spent and Chase is 5% cash back on up to $1500.

I have both because rarely one will have promotions that the other will not have that will fit my purchases better at the time. For example, Discover sent me a special only for me promotion this year that if I spent $4500 on my CC over January, February, and March I would get an additional $225 in rewards. I had a few big things to buy so I just moved them off and I didn't pay a cent in interest and averaged about 8% total cash back on that deal.

Remember that if you do any shopping online with your rewards card to go into your account on their website and see if the retailer you are buying from is listed as an extra cash back reward dealer. You can get anywhere from 2-20% extra cash back at places like Best Buy, Bass Pro and Cabelas just by clicking a link in your account before you buy something that you were going to buy anyway.

Also, FWIW, my wife just got a Chase Freedom Visa pre-approved letter in the mail that she will get $300 in rewards just for making one purchase on a card if she signs up. We were looking for a rewards card for her anyway so we jumped on that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Blue cash from Amex works well for me. They have a tiered cash back rate, so it may not work for you if you dont spend a lot on the card.

I try to funnel all my purchases through that card. Maxes out the cash back. Havent paid a dime in interest or fees. $500 cash back this year.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Costco AMEX is what you want.  Access to Costco and cash back on everything you buy.  Details here:  Costco AMEX
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Capital One is the best...they have a MC that has 1% cash back plus 50% bonus on the cash back.  Also they are one of the few that do not charge fees for international transactions...not important if you do not travel.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Chase Freedom for me.

I should probably use it more than my debit card for the cash back purchases but I haven't paid enough attention to it.  

I actually credited my account nearly 200 bucks today.

I use debit frequently as a requirement for my 4.5% interest checking account.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Blue cash from Amex works well for me. They have a tiered cash back rate, so it may not work for you if you dont spend a lot on the card.

I try to funnel all my purchases through that card. Maxes out the cash back. Havent paid a dime in interest or fees. $500 cash back this year.

That's what I also use. Got offered to upgrade to 6% cash back instantly (no tier system) for $75. Ran the numbers and it worked for me so I did it. I'm in about two months and it has already paid for itself.

Bottom line the programs work, just so you pay your balance off in full evey month. Other wise you will het behind or miss a payment that will result in fees total negation your cash back for the past few months.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Chase Amazon card.  I've been able to get a lot of merchandise from Amazon using the reward points.

I don't carry a balance, I pay in full every month.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I decided to go with American Express Blue Cash.  It seemed to be the best out of the ones I checked out.  
3% cash back at grocery stores
2% cash back at gas stations + department stores
1% cash back on all other purchases
No annual fee

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I decided to go with American Express Blue Cash.  It seemed to be the best out of the ones I checked out.  
No annual fee

This is the one I have, but if you pay a $75 annual fee for a premium card the percentages go up to a max of 6%.  You'll have to track your spending habits to see if that makes sense for you.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No annual fee

This is the one I have, but if you pay a $75 annual fee for a premium card the percentages go up to a max of 6%.  You'll have to track your spending habits to see if that makes sense for you.

As long as AmerEX will credit my purchases at my local grocery store, I'm sure it will be worth going to premium.  I'm going to see how it goes for a couple of months though before I do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top