Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2002 9:29:42 AM EDT
I want to get a 120V welder like the type sold at home depot/lowes. My primary use would be to repair the handtrucks and dollies at my buissness. welding mostly tube steel.

How well do these work???

thanks
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I want to get a 120V welder like the type sold at home depot/lowes. My primary use would be to repair the handtrucks and dollies at my buissness. welding mostly tube steel.
How well do these work???
thanks
View Quote

i had one several years ago, it was fine. i used it to make motor mounts and other things for cars. be sure to use the welders goggles or you WILL damage your eyes.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 9:57:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Meat-Man the 120 welders will do ok for welding small gauge metal like your hand carts. But with the 120 welders you are very limited in what gauge of metals you can weld. If it is feasible for you to get the 240 volt wire feed get it instead. It will give you a wider range of welding applications for a small difference in price. If you do get the 120 volt welder do not use a long small gauge extension cord. It will cause poor welds.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#4]
they'll work for your app and their low price is attractive.

You will likely have to perform some regular tweaking with these "hobbY units" since the wire feed system is simple and cheesy. Make sure you get a 110V (ex: Miller Cricket) that accepts gas for MIG welding. The gas hook up (tank, hose, regulator) is just as much as the welder but well worth it. Flux core welding has much to be desired and it certainly is not pretty (chicken shit). Scale the tank size to how often you will be using the welder.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info.I would like a 220 but to get 220 to the right spot in my warehouse would be costly.An electican gave me an estimate of 525.00 to pull a 220 to that spot.

I have done some stick welding in the past,does wire flux core basiclly come out looking like stick welds,slag and stuff like that??

Your info is greatly appreciated

Meat Man
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top