Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2001 2:18:34 PM EDT
I can't decide which of the two to get.
The AR is a National match and the M1A is a LOADED.

Thanks for your opinions!
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
M1A better gas system,more reliable when dirty,better caliber.Flame away
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#2]
In my opinion, it is kind of like asking which is better, a Ford truck, or a Chevy truck.  They both accomplish basically the same thing but one has advantages over the other and vice versa.

I prefer the M1A.  Just a preference.

If cost is a factor, the AR is the way to go.  Mags are cheap, ammo is cheap, parts are cheap.

I like the action on the M1A better, but that is just me.  The M1 is easier to clean in my opinion too.

The AR has great ergonomics.

The best answer, is that you need to fondle the two seriously.  See which one fits you the best.

The AR is likely to be the first off the politically allowable list, if things keep going as they are.  So you may want that one first.

If I were in your shoes, I think the AR first is the most economically sensible choice.  Now that that has been said, I bought the M1a first.

Confused yet???

There is no good answer, get what you want first!

Note: I bought 5 usgi mags from tapco for about $60 bucks.  The last two usgi M1A mags set me back $40 a piece!

Good luck, you'll lover either[sniper]
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
im not sure but i think the tag "loaded" refers to a cupon for free accesories you get with the rilfe from springfeild armory. maybe were talking about diffrent things.

Link Posted: 3/31/2001 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Matt S,
Don't want to start a pissing contest, but I'm curious about your " easier to clean" statement regarding the M1A. How so?
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Which is better...AR-15 or M1A1
View Quote

My vote goes for the M1A1[:D]

[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/_uimages/usmctank.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#7]
being a political prisoner of the prk and gray "mr energy rapist" davis - i do not have the luxury of your choice.

the m1a naturally seems to work very well but is long and cumbersome.  - if it were me i'd look to the ar10b - that is some cool a$$ retro $hit! -buy the one that makes you the happiest.

steve
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#8]
For the defense of the Constitution and Bill of Rights, BUY BOTH. Time is running short.

Link Posted: 3/31/2001 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's why I like my M1A better:

1) It fits better. With the flip-up shoulder thingy on the M14 stock and it's tendency to not shift point of aim when using the sling, I can snuggle right into this rifle and shoot standing up for longer periods of time--more accurately.

2) Bigger round. Sorry...nothing scientific here. I just like shooting the .308 over the .223. It's just more of an experience I guess.

3) Bastardized less. Still has a real flash hider, not having been sacrificed to the "evil features" limit instituted by the morons who run this country. I can live without a bayonet lug, but if something's going on the end of that barrel, it ought to do more than piss off the people shooting next to me.

4) Cleaner operation. No gunky black crap fouling up the action (like on my AR, though I may be guilty of over-lubricating). My M1A has been 99.9% reliable. My AR has been probably 95% reliable.

But these are just my opinions from range shooting. In a real-world defense scenario, I'd probably leave the M1A in the safe and go with the lighter, more commonly used AR.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#10]
A couple of years ago I purchased an M1A "loaded"

It came with a National Match middle weight barrel, a NM front sight (.062 wide), competition grade trigger (two stage), "reamed" flash suppressor (better clearance).  I was given the choice of fiberglass or walnut stock and between stainless or carbon steel barrel. I ordered the ss with walnut.  Fiberglass stocks from Springfield are not the greatest (refurbished/painted GI)  

In addtion it came with several coupons.

Only lacking for NM grade would be a unitized gas cylinder, glass bedded stock, NM rear sight..

When purchased the rifle performed better than I did. After "minor tricks" it shoots better than I will ever shoot!

NM AR15 vs M1A? If your objective is competition (Service Rifle) the AR15 is easier to shoot (more forgiving). The AR is a "modular" system with a plephora of combinations.

By the way a NM (DCM/CMP) AR15 weights as much as a loaded M1A!

Regards

ACK

Link Posted: 3/31/2001 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#11]
The AR is the better mechanism from a reliability and accuracy standpoint.  Very few M1As and M-14s are being shot in the National Matches any more because you just can't compete with them.

Reliability of the AR has been proven better than the M-14 many times.  That gas mechanism on the 14 is definitely part of its problem.

And the AR doesn't need near the babying to keep it working.  It always drove me crazy to wonder if my bedding was breaking loose in the M1A.

The loaded promotion just gets you some of what you've already got with a decent AR.

The 14 and M1A are nice rifles (I have several M1As) but they don't touch the AR.  If the caliber is important to you you can always get an AR-10 and have the best of both worlds.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#12]
how about this.....

their both great rifles and we could debate them all day, but the M1A is gonna be around for a while, being it is relitivly "evil feature" free. the AR is not so. i would get the AR first and then the M1A.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm like some of the others. Get the AR first
and then get the other.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#14]
If I could have only one I would buy the M1A.  Of course I own 2.5 AR15's and no M1A.  I agree that the AR15 will be harder to get in the more immediate future.  I'd suggest buying the AR and looking for good prices on M1A magazines and buy a couple every month or so until you have an ample supply then purchase the rifle.  This way you get both!  Now I should start looking into those USGI M14 mags myself.  Already have about 35 AR15 mags.  You may also consider the old M1 Garand.  No detatchable mags but one helluva compliment to the gun cabinet.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I would take the M1A, I have two and one Bushy. I like the .308 round, maybe I will get an Armalite next.
[smoke]
Then agan the Armalite might be a good compromise and the Mini-14 might be a bad compromise.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Get both, the ar for fast moving response, and the 308 if you want to reach out and touch someone. With the way McCain is talking, and the hype in the future for bi-ch Klinton prepare now.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#17]
M1A first then AR15.  Take care of SHTF needs first then recreation after that.  Nomex suit on. [:I]
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#18]
AR-15 all the way.  They don't shoot themselves apart like M14s.  Plus they are extremely versatile.  With 1 lower, you can have an upper for every occasion: match rifle, service rifle, IPSC, SOF, CAR, .22 conversion.  And of course .223 is far cheaper to shoot.      
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Get the M1A.  All AR's Suck!!  [-!-!-]

Just joking.[:)]

But if I could only choose one, it would be the M1A.

Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Matt S,
Don't want to start a pissing contest, but I'm curious about your " easier to clean" statement regarding the M1A. How so?
View Quote

Simple - all that's really required on an M1A is to lock the bolt back, swab the bore, and scrub the bolt face and receiver with a toothbrush. Many service rifle shooters don't do any more cleaning than this throughout the season, to save their bedding job from wear.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#21]
From purely practical and tactical standpoints, I think you should get squared away with an AR15 first. This would include a sufficient number of magazines, spare parts, and ammuntion stockpiled as well. If you are ever called to use your firearm under trying circumstances, ammunition, parts, accessories, and most importantly, magazines, will be far more available for an AR than an M1A.

I'm beginning to contemplate getting a semi-suto .308 myself. My primary consideration are the M1A, FAL, and AR10. While I like the M1A and appreciate/respect it's historical significance to our nation, I think I will eventually go with a FAL. FALs are reliable, relatively inexpensive, and the magazines are still VERY affordable. I just can't see myself building up a collection of 40-50 M14 or AR10 mags at todays prices, whereas the FAL mags are literally a mere fraction of the price and it would be quite easy to build a significant collection of them.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I own 4 M1A's but only 2 AR15's
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#23]
AR-15 for shtf.  If you're squared away for shtf, buy the MIA
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:33:18 PM EDT
[#26]
They both have their advantages and disadvantages. .223 bullets are cheaper than .308. The AR mags are still cheaper than USGI M14 mags. And the AR is more accurate weapon system, and is modular. However...the M1A is more durable and reliable. Its main failing is that the Bedding on Match rifles gets destroyed after several thousand rounds and then accuracy starts to go.
The M1A comes up to my shoulder naturally and gives me faster target acquisition than I get with my AR's (I'm a big guy..smaller guys tend to like AR's more...then there is the M1A "Scout" rifle to consider...)

As to which to get ? Get both! I own AR's, FALs, M1As, AK's..all kinds of stuff. I think that the FAL is easier to clean AND more reliable than the M1A..however I like how the M1A feels...
I like the M1A more than my other rifles...

M1 Garands are also nice.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#27]
If I were you Id get the Ar-10(t) or a2. It the best of both worlds for me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#28]
M1A, just clean the bore, chamber, and wipe the bolt face. Once in a while I clean the inside of the receiver and regrease (not oil). Twice a year I clean the gas system. Very low maintenance. AR, PITA, but I still love 'em.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 1:27:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Uh....Did you happen to notice where your posting?
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 1:55:39 AM EDT
[#30]
There was a thread a week or so ago about some M1A's / M14'a having a rewelded receiver though it was very hard to tell sometimes.

Anyone able to post that link?

[red][size=4] P.R.K.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 2:47:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 4:38:15 AM EDT
[#32]
I have mixed feelings on the topic myself. I love both. I have both.

I shoot better with M1A. I think it is the 308 cause where I shoot it is always windy. I could have a nice day when I leave my house but when I get to the range it is like a tornado. I am in the sand pits so the wind bounces off the hills.

I like the feel of the AR better. I like the pistol grip. I also like the design of the AR better. You can swap uppers. You can buy a complete lower and shop for an upper at your convience. Basicly splitting up the cost of buying a new gun.

I like that the 223 round is cheap to shoot. But I like the weight of the 308 better. You can go out to longer distances and hold a better group.

The ugly gun theory is right on. Get the AR or at least the Lower first!! I have 1 complete rifle and 2 lowers.

Cost is another thing. M1A is an expensive proposition. AR's are more friendly in the finance area.

Both shoot great and love them both. I think I might one day go with an Armalite 308 AR 10.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 5:27:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I prefer the M1A by far. That being said. I would more than likely keep the AR around too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 6:00:27 AM EDT
[#34]
You have to get both.  Collect all military weapons.  Dont forget the garand.   That is one heck of a gun, even if it does go "clang" every 8 shots.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 6:04:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Get both ! ! ! !!
the AR is handy but the M14 feels like a real rifle. Walnut and steel.
The 7.62NATO is a real powerhouse compared to the 5.56mousegun.
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/004/GV/pz/e4/zi93992.jpg[/img]
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/017/he/y4/1P/hH11186.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 7:07:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I wondered the same thing a few yrs back, still don't have an answer....except that the M1A and AR's are tools for differant senerio's...I now have a larger tool safe with 3 M1A'S pre-ban and 2 AR-15 and 3 M4'S ....ABOUT 20 MAGS  per rifle
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#37]
ill take the ar anyday,just my preference.i have a mak 90 great gun but i prefere the ar,i also have a ruger mini 14 great gun also but i still like the ar.i would like to have a 308 like a fal or m1 but i stll will take the ar over any rifle going.i really like the 223 round.and come on the ar 15 /m-16 is just too cool looking.i grew up watching vietnam war news every night at the dinner table.i just think the ar 15/m-16 is the best thing gioing.yes if i were in the jungle fighting for my life the mak-90/ak-47 has its advantages,it just works.but since im an easy chair comando and i can clean my ar regularly thats what i choose to have
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Depends on what you are going to do with it, or what you expect it to do,
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#40]
A Greek guy at work wore a blue helmet in Bosnia in the early 80's. He said the favorite trick of the Serbs was to tip those wooden horse-driven carts on their side (I guess they're all over the place) and hide behind them for cover when ambushing the UN and NATO troops. The troops carrying M16's were mostly ineffective, as the round would fragment on hitting the floor of the cart. However, the troops carrying FALs were highly effective. Anyway, for that kind of work 7x62 is the way to go. The ARs probably have a different mission. He also said although the FALs were highly effective, they all wanted M16s because they were sick of lugging around all that heavy FAL ammo. Anyway, the M1A is a great rifle and it's one of my favorite to shoot. But I won't be selling the ARs anytime soon, if ever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top