Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2011 10:44:26 AM EDT

Sprint to 'Bet the Company' on iPhone
New details reveal that Sprint landed the iPhone at a "staggering" cost. The carrier has agreed to buy at least 30.5 million iPhones over four years—a commitment of $20 billion at current rates—whether or not it can sell them, a deal that would likely lose money until 2014.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203405504576603053795839250.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

With the way the market changes so fast on smart phones, I would think this is not a safe bet.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything other than the iPhone and I would agree.   But Sprint didn't  have much choice.  This is definitely the Hail Mary School of Business.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#2]
They won't lose money.

I am on AT&T only a year in on my current iPhone contract and I will switch to Sprint if they have 4G unlimited.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They won't lose money.

I am on AT&T only a year in on my current iPhone contract and I will switch to Sprint if they have 4G unlimited.

+1....using AT&T right now, because its the only one with a fast connection where I live.  IF sprint gets their 4g up and running....I will move over, as I'm over my 4g limit this month....restarts in 4 days .
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#4]
sprint has DICK for coveragejust outside my town....alll the other carriers work fine...sorry sprint/
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

They won't lose money.

For just an extra $20 a month for 4G, unlimited or not, whether or not 4G is available in your area.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Sprint is already fooked.  First the disastrous Nextel merger that prevented them from expanding their network coverage.  Then they picked the wrong horse with dead-end WiMAX 4G.  A 4G iPhone will lock in a lot of new customers on 2-year contracts though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

They won't lose money.

Problem is that the radio on the iPhone won't do 4g.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They won't lose money.

It won't do LTE, but it will apparently have whatever sprint/ATT are calling 4G.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm on Sprint and will be sticking to Android phones.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#11]

I really don't want the network further bogged down by the iphone fan club.  If this is real, this fucking sucks. I've had Sprint for 9 years....
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll stick with my android phone on Sprint.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone get the Sprint Netflix apology style letter? Got mine in the mail this evening. Sounds like with bringing in the Iphone. Sprint is going to change the unlimited data plan structure. Going to dig it out of the trash and scan it and post it here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Id like to see that letter as there is no news at all on it anywhere online
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
They won't lose money.

Rumor is tomorrow Apple will announce the iPhone5 as being 4G exclusive to Sprint (on WiMAX, good luck with coverage); while T and VZ will get the iPhone 4S, until next year when an LTE iPhone5 will release (which Sprint and Clear are going to convert to also).
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I may have to re-scan it if it is too small. But here it is.  Letter is dated Sept 15th but I received it today.

I'm going to call them in the morning to verify. Apologies to all as my sister has the same phone ( evo4g ) and plan as me and she may have jumped the gun as she got me riled up on the plan changes. According to their website, plans and services will remain intact. Sprint will no longer offer Premier customers rebates and upgrade credits. Sorry for any confusion. I guess it also helps to read and re-read it not while under the influence of family members.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Android > iPhone
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Android > iPhone

+100

On a side note. Sprint has already upped their upgrade fee to $36 from the previous 18, as well as upping their cancelation fee to $325 from the previous $200.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may have to re-scan it if it is too small.  But here it is.  Letter is dated Sept 15th but I received it today.
http://i52.tinypic.com/2v3px0n.jpg

doesnt say anything about changing the data plans, just getting rid of the premier program
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They won't lose money.

Rumor is tomorrow Apple will announce the iPhone5 as being 4G exclusive to Sprint (on WiMAX, good luck with coverage); while T and VZ will get the iPhone 4S, until next year when an LTE iPhone5 will release (which Sprint and Clear are going to convert to also).

Interesting, I'll be interested to see that happen.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may have to re-scan it if it is too small.  But here it is.  Letter is dated Sept 15th but I received it today.

doesnt say anything about changing the data plans, just getting rid of the premier program

Yes you are correct, sorry for the confusion detailed explanation in edited post above.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't know if I would be interested in going to an iPhone after using an Android phone.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes you are correct, sorry for the confusion detailed explanation in edited post above.

I got the same letter it reminded me that I am due a new phone and better take advantage while I can!
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had sprint for almost 2 years, I will be getting a iphone for myself, then a few months from now I will be getting a iphone for my daughter.  I think/hope they sell them.  

I've been happy with sprint.  A lot better than AT&T, and cheaper than verizon
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
They won't lose money.

If so (and I read the same rumor) then Sprint made a good deal - all the Apple fanboys will convert to Sprint, and a lot of the Sprint consumers will switch.

That is, right up until the iPhone 6... but the Apple fanboys are a fickle lot, and they'll pay the early termination fee.  So Sprint will still be ok.

Full disclosure: I run both AT&T and Sprint (work and personal phones) and I prefer Sprint.  Blackberry and Android, both 3G, and I'm not switching to an iPhone on either.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#26]
iPhone is a proven seller.  Sure is risky though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I went to the Sprint store and heard a salesman telling a customer that they would be switching to a tiered data plan and phasing out the unlimited data.  While at a Target in Austin, I passed that on to the cell phone salesman there and he said that the salesman wasn't supposed to be talking about that.  Of course you can't call Sprint up and ask them, expecting an honest answer, so who knows?  

Sprint, Verizon or whoever, will not lose too much profit since they'll just raise rates to match.  Value and service are becoming farther apart regardless of topic.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I went to the Sprint store and heard a salesman telling a customer that they would be switching to a tiered data plan and phasing out the unlimited data.  While at a Target in Austin, I passed that on to the cell phone salesman there and he said that the salesman wasn't supposed to be talking about that.  Of course you can't call Sprint up and ask them, expecting an honest answer, so who knows?  

Sprint, Verizon or whoever, will not lose too much profit since they'll just raise rates to match.  Value and service are becoming farther apart regardless of topic.

I'm going to toss something out there...

If you were a marketing exec, would you roll out an entire multimillion dollar advertizing campaign showcasing unlimited data, and attacking your competitors, if you were about to do the same?

Ok, 2 somethings...

And would you tell every $10/hour cell phone salesman about it, if, in fact, you were stupid enough to do it?

Sorry, this one doesn't pass the smell test.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They won't lose money.

If so (and I read the same rumor) then Sprint made a good deal - all the Apple fanboys will convert to Sprint, and a lot of the Sprint consumers will switch.

That is, right up until the iPhone 6... but the Apple fanboys are a fickle lot, and they'll pay the early termination fee.  So Sprint will still be ok.

Full disclosure: I run both AT&T and Sprint (work and personal phones) and I prefer Sprint.  Blackberry and Android, both 3G, and I'm not switching to an iPhone on either.

I'm just pissed that the Blackberry is not going to be LTE, either on the just released OS 7's or the hoped for QNX phones that should be out 1st or 2nd quarter of 2012.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to toss something out there...

If you were a marketing exec, would you roll out an entire multimillion dollar advertizing campaign showcasing unlimited data, and attacking your competitors, if you were about to do the same?

Ok, 2 somethings...

And would you tell every $10/hour cell phone salesman about it, if, in fact, you were stupid enough to do it?

Sorry, this one doesn't pass the smell test.

No but if the marketing strategist who makes $85,000 a year tells the advertising designer who makes $35,000 a year to start designing ads and he is having sex with the assistant store manager from his old store who makes $15 an hour then the word gets out pretty quickly.

Now take the above situation but give everyone in the company a smart phone to text with.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Brace for iPhone ruin. As soon as it hits a carrier that seems to be all the carrier is worried about.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't know if I would be interested in going to an iPhone after using an Android phone.FL

with all the problems with android/ motorola i don't ever forsee going back to android

after every update for the android operating system,  it brings up another problem that isn't fixed for almost 6 months.

the last update on the droid 2.  caused the phone to be unstable when txting or using the virtual keyboard.  imagine not being able to use your phone for a phone  

I've never had any problems with the OS.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 4:17:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't know if I would be interested in going to an iPhone after using an Android phone.FL

with all the problems with android/ motorola i don't ever forsee going back to android

after every update for the android operating system,  it brings up another problem that isn't fixed for almost 6 months.

the last update on the droid 2.  caused the phone to be unstable when txting or using the virtual keyboard.  imagine not being able to use your phone for a phone  

I've never had any problems with the OS.

don't get me started on exchange email issues.

ring tones that randomly change

and the latest issue with the android operating system after the last update.   Users who plug the phone into their car as a mp3 player no longer functions.    

Shrug.  I've never had a single problem with the OS on my phone in the year and a half I've had it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top