Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2011 8:12:58 AM EDT
Do you have to pay state income taxes at the bases you are stationed at?

The reason I'm asking is, I have been working at several different states and have to pay their state taxes. I live in Texas nad we don't have a stte income tax, but I have to pay the states I'm working in.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Do you have to pay state income taxes at the bases you are stationed at?

The reason I'm asking is, I have been working at several different states and have to pay their state taxes. I live in Texas nad we don't have a stte income tax, but I have to pay the states I'm working in.

It depends on where you say your Home of Record is, in your pay record. I always listed WA (no income tax), and have never paid a state income tax to whichever state I was stationed in at the time, which includes CA, TN, NC, TX, GA and NY.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Home of record.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:22:53 AM EDT
[#3]
What the Gunny said. Unless you are a resident of the state you are stationed in you don't pay it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Home of record.

This. Michigan HOR. No income tax on military pay. Even while serving in other states.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:27:29 AM EDT
[#5]
If your home of record or legal residence is the state your stationed in you have to pay state taxes in most states as far as I'm aware of.

But say your a Michigan resident when you join but are never stationed in michigan, your still a Michigan resident as far as drivers license is concerned but you'll never pay Michigan taxes.

There might be 1-2 states that sill make you pay taxes, I think someone from one of the southern states always bitched about paying taxes, or he was mistaken and paid when he didn't need to.

Bottom line is never change your home of record or residency, just leave it as the state you lived in when you joined and your good to go.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#6]
The main reason for the tax exemption is techincally your earning your income on the base itself which is federal property, not state property.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The main reason for the tax exemption is techincally your earning your income on the base itself which is federal property, not state property.

Which, BTW, does not (usually) apply to a spouse's income, earned out in town, i.e. Court street strippers, etc.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Home of record.

HOR = TX = 0%
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Home of record, CA in my case. I get 100% of it back though...

If they don't send out an IOU...
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#10]
When I worked in VA as a civilian for a short time in the 90s, state income tax was withheld but refunded the next year. (It's not automatic, you'll need to file a return)
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#11]
It's also handy to keep on PCSing to states without income tax.  

Entered with WA as home of record, did 3 overseas tours, moved to FL and changed residency, moved to NV and changed residency.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:46:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which, BTW, does not (usually) apply to a spouse's income, earned out in town, i.e. Court street strippers, etc.    

Not true anymore.
See here

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#14]
My HOR was NY and while they withheld the state tax it was refunded in the full amount each year.  Basically gave NY an interest free loan every year.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If this was accurate DOD civilians wouldn't be taxed.

Do DOD civilians maintain a HOR out of state though? Or do they get dual residence like Active Duty? I always assumed they paid taxes because they actually lived there.

E and O pay is adjusted to factor in that active duty dosen't pay state taxes, I'm assuming the GS pay scale is higher because they do pay state taxes. Or at least this is the way I understand it. I've never been a DOD civilian.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not true anymore.
See here

That happened under Obama,Pelosi and Reed?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top