Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/3/2011 5:40:18 AM EDT
I travel a lot, so my favorite radio stations fade out and I end up pushing the "SCAN" button to find the music I like. Almost invariably an awesome sounding rock song that I have never heard before comes on and I find myself bobbing my head and drumming my fingers on the wheel. I usually think, "how could I not have heard this song before? It's damn good!"  

Then I listen to the words and realize it's a Christian song/station. I sure wish I was more "into" that stuff; they seem to have a lot of good music.

That's my cool Monday story.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:50:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to work with a guy who would play that stuff all day,it gets old.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:52:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Theres a chick drummer for a Xtian band called Skillet, she rocks hard, easy on the eyes,too. Not my kind of music, but would listen to that band if I "had" to.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:53:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I used to work with a guy who would play that stuff all day,it gets old.

Same. I get stuck listening to KLOVE 12 hours a day. Makes me want to fucking kill myself.

However there are some good ones out there. I think Skillet counts as a Christan Rock band, and I like a lot of their stuff. P.O.D. is pretty good too and I'm pretty sure they are a Christian/spiritual Rock band.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:54:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I knew a guy who was into "Christian" Death Metal

It's not my number #1 style of music, but some of it was ok.

That being said, some of the worst years of my life were set to the backdrop of DC Talk, Amy Grant, and Carmen
Speed
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:54:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:55:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Stryper is SOOOOOOOoooooo not gay.

Speed

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:55:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Really? Most of the Christian rock I've heard is completely banal and mediocre.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:57:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Sounds like you need a Christian side hug.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:59:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I do the same thing.  

My husband teased me because I was loving Awake and Alive by Skillet and had no clue it was Christian rock.  He kept saying, "Are you sure that's not Stryper?"  
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Bland, uninspired, boring, without purpose...

Those are the words I use to describe Christian Rock.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:02:09 AM EDT
[#12]
At least with Christian rock you never need to ask yourself "Gee, I wonder what this song is all about?"
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:02:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Which song was it?
I love Christian rock/metal. Here are a few good tracks:

There is a lot of good Christian rock out there. Your just not going to hear it on K-Love. K-Love is like the crappy soft rock station on your dial that always plays Michael Bolton... If you did consider that rock, you would want to slit your wrists.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:05:46 AM EDT
[#14]
There is an awful lot of absolutely horrid Christian "rock" out there, but there are also some very talented bands. I haven't listened to radio Christian rock in years, but there are many bands that I continue to follow and would put up against many of their secular counterparts any day in terms of talent.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#15]
My ex-girlfriend listened to two stations...the Christian station around here, and the other one.  It's not bad music, but yeah, it gets old after a while. Somewhere I have a couple CD's she burned for me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:07:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

There is an awful lot of absolutely horrid Christian "rock" out there, but there are also some very talented bands. I haven't listened to radio Christian rock in years, but there are many bands that I continue to follow and would put up against many of their secular counterparts any day in terms of talent.

I'd say the same thing about secular rock stations. Most mainstream stuff is garbage no matter what station your listening to. Once you get out on the periphery and don't listen to mainstream stuff, it gets pretty good for Christian music.

Our local station does a great job of promoting good Christian rock/metal:

www.radiou.com

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:08:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Really? Most of the Christian rock I've heard these days is completely banal and mediocre.

fify
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:11:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Like to everyone else who says this,you have obviously never listened to Strongarm.

It's too bad they didn't get the respect they deserved in the hardcore scene simply because they were Christians. I'm not religious and still think Advent of a Miracle is one of the heaviest,most amazing records ever made. "FAR BE IT FROM ME to flee from the den of lions"....these guys were incredible.OTOH,they were too loud and um...good...for most Christians to want to listen to them.

In the 90's,I used to see all these Carmen Righteous Invasion of Truth shirts down South  so I thought that Carmen was a Christian metal band like Stryper...oh no,no,no...he would be the definition of Bland, uninspired, boring, without purpose...

Oh fuck that...I take that back...I haven't seen this in like 15 years...THIS SHIT IS AMAZING!

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:13:39 AM EDT
[#19]
This band is mewithoutyou. They are really good and I didn't know for months that they were a christian band. Someone please embed as I can't from the mobile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4g-3WRXIts&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:16:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like to everyone else who says this,you have obviously never listened to Strongarm.

http://youtu.be/i1wjl4xgc0s

It's too bad they didn't get the respect they deserved in the hardcore scene simply because they were Christians. I'm not religious and still think Advent of a Miracle is one of the heaviest,most amazing records ever made. "FAR BE IT FROM ME to flee from the den of lions"....these guys were incredible.OTOH,they were too loud and um...good...for most Christians to want to listen to them.

In the 90's,I used to see all these Carmen Righteous Invasion of Truth shirts down South  so I thought that Carmen was a Christian metal band like Stryper...oh no,no,no...he would be the definition of Bland, uninspired, boring, without purpose...
 Oh fuck that...I take that back...I haven't seen this in like 15 years...THIS SHIT IS AMAZING!

http://youtu.be/e_UO8wlZymM

I'll give you a few guesses as to why they didn't get the respect they deserved.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:34:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:37:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Skillet is awesome in concert, their drummer is a 20 something hot blonde who can sing too.
I hope to see them again this month.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:38:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't listen to Christian rock for the most part, but that song by Skillet was pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:42:09 AM EDT
[#24]
I used to listen to a bunch of bands from Solidstate Records.  I still listen to a couple of the bands still to this day.

This band started me listening to heavier music.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:43:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I actually don't like Christian music.  I get dragged to a lot of Christian music events.  It sort of all soounds the same to me.

Had white folks invented rock I often wonder if this is what it would've sounded like.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:43:54 AM EDT
[#26]
It's trendy to be Xtian and heavy these days.

I get sick of it because I play in bands, and run sound for shows, and these angry, inhibited, pissy straight-edge-xtians fucking ruin shows, period.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep, you can usually tell what it is even without hearing any lyrics.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I actually don't like Christian music.  I get dragged to a lot of Christian music events.  It sort of all soounds the same to me.

Had white folks invented rock I often wonder if this is what it would've sounded like.

So, who did "invent" rock music?

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:46:35 AM EDT
[#29]
I like the blues/rock of Darrell Mansfield.

I love listening to Larry Norman.  Yeah, I'm getting old.  

My biggest problem with the local Christian radio stations is it seems they have a playlist of 10 or 12 middle-of-the-road songs that they play over and over.

I have some Disciple, Pillar and Bride in my collection.  One of the best rocking band out there today is Decemberadio.  If you ever have a chance to see them do not miss it!

Gasoline (Decemberadio):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5whY23GlBY

Take My Life (Jeremy Camp):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pReDCK5OjME
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:51:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Skillet is pretty awesome.... there needs to be more music like that being made, thats for sure.  

Fireflight is good too, if you don't mind chicks as the lead singer of a rock band.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:52:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chuck Berry.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:58:14 AM EDT
[#32]
The only Christian band I like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCwNG1YqhEU

They broke up and their lead singer formed this band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J2c4OyEJeg
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Some of it is rather catchy.

I like Mercy Me and Tree63.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Most "christian rock" you hear on the radio is awful.  Bad theology and worse music, primarily intended for the same people who go to church because they feel guilty if they don't.  Some of it is good; Skillet is one of the better bands, Disciple is good too.  You're unlikely to hear much of the good stuff on the radio because it isn't all feel-good sugar syrup.  Some of the best songs by christian rockers are about how life sucks and why is God so far away?  Go read the psalms and you'll see that David said things that would make the average "christian radio" listener have apoplectic fits thinking it's sacrilegious.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Tobymac

True story, I was driving down the road and just blindly searching for a rage-filled song on my radio.  I normally listen to Christian radio a lot, but was having a bad day and didn't want to listen to a  "Christian" song at that point, because I wanted to headbutt a kitten, I was so mad.

So, this song above came on, and I was jamming out, getting B-U-S-Y and fired up with my negative attitude...  then I realized it was a Christian song with a Christian message.

I looked up and said, "Well played, God.  Well played".  
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:08:06 AM EDT
[#36]
I can't stand much of so called 'Christian Rock'. I just never got into it, and I find most of it annoying.

Then.. I found Skillet..

That is Christian rock I can listen too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:11:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard to say.  Every genre seems to build from a previous one and then add a little something.  It all seems to go back to the blues and black folks.  Heck you could argue that it was started by an African tribesman banging on a drum.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:13:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Christian rock sucks because they place their agenda ahead of making good music.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Which song was it?

I love Christian rock/metal. Here are a few good tracks:

There is a lot of good Christian rock out there. Your just not going to hear it on K-Love. K-Love is like the crappy soft rock station on your dial that always plays Michael Bolton... If you did consider that rock, you would want to slit your wrists.  

I never figured Brian Welch's "Die Religion Die" could be considered "Christian Rock" until I read the meaning behind it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:17:52 AM EDT
[#40]
YECH!
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I can't stand much of so called 'Christian Rock'. I just never got into it, and I find most of it annoying.

Then.. I found Skillet..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmL-J1IghZM

That is Christian rock I can listen too.

That's the kind of song I was talking about in the OP. That's bangin'.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#43]
I am friends with a station manager for a big Chrisitan radio station.
We have been to many concerts such as skillet, Barlow girl, toby mac.
and even went on a cruise with all of them.

good stuff
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Christian rock sucks because they place their agenda ahead of making good music.

Say it aint so...A christian band putting christ first.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm not much into it but I'm big fan of Faith plus One
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#47]
I never understood the point. They're playing a style of music that is clearly secular, and is supposed to be rebellious, anti-authority, and a bunch of other things I'm certain aren't Christian. I don't care how nice you make the lyrics, it's always a confusing mixed message when I hear it.

And Christian metal bands? WTF? Metal is supposed to be evil. If I throw the horns up at a show, and I get the stink eye from another fan, something has seriously gone awry.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Does Slayer count? Black Sabbath? If not I'm out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#49]
All sounds like generic radio fodder to me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I never understood the point. They're playing a style of music that is clearly secular, and is supposed to be rebellious, anti-authority, and a bunch of other things I'm certain aren't Christian. I don't care how nice you make the lyrics, it's always a confusing mixed message when I hear it.

And Christian metal bands? WTF? Metal is supposed to be evil. If I throw the horns up at a show, and I get the stink eye from another fan, something has seriously gone awry.

Well, if you watch the Carmen video posted, there certainly is some anger and hate proposed by some Christina musicians
Speed

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top