Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2011 10:09:49 PM EDT
It's not new, but my brother just turned me onto the stuff.

Created my the genius Mark Russinovich, now a Technical Fellow at MS, to allow you to really know what is going on inside your machine... if you actually care to know.

I have now replaced the Win Task Manager with the Sysinternals Process Explorer.  It's so much better.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#1]
tag for later
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#2]
We use this stuff heavily at the gigantic IT company I work for.

It's all great.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:27:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Procmon ftw!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Russinovich is a deity with many of us, a true pioneer.  

What's funny is NewSID was sooooo important over the years for ghosting, and his more recent commentary indicates that much of that did very little of it's intended use in the end.

Winternals was also some great stuff many of us have fond memories of, but MS scooped Mark up and they promptly died.  The Admin Pack was a godsend.  We have replacements for those functions now, but Russinovich will always be the king.

I've seen a few of his seminars in the Northwest over the past few years, always captivating stuff.

Sysinternals are fantastic, and they're just perfect single utilities, powerful and always leaving you wondering WTF MS STILL doesn't incorporate these into Windows as admin tools.  

I'm just glad MS still allows Sysinternals to continue to develop and release for free, and from what I can tell, without any interference from MS.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:12:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Downloaded, trying it out - very cool stuff!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:28:28 AM EDT
[#6]
they have a network share, too.

\\live.sysinternals.com\tools

as long as you can get to the internet, and SMB isn't blocked, it should work.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:14:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks good/interesting to me, going to have to try it out!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Sunday evening bump, because this stuff is that good.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Mark is a very cool guy, in person, too.  We got to know each other when we were both writing for Windows NT magazine. A very, very smart guy in a world of very smart people.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a lot of the sysinternals tools at work.   Some pretty handy stuff.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I love some pslist and pskill.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, that's a handy piece of 'ware.

Particularly like all the dependencies.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool thread. Thanks for posting it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top