Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2011 2:00:43 PM EDT
Not a huge fan, but the in-laws bought us tickets so it's off to Vegas baby to see Jimmy Buffet!

Anyone else gonna be there in a few weeks?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to be, so I guess I still am.

ETA: answered the title not the OP.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I like a few of his songs...
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

See thats just it. Its hard to not like a couple. I tend to like the ones that haven't been played ad nauseum.
My Mom bought his first couple of records when they came out and I used to have to listen to him constantly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Aye...

I am stage 9

10 Stages of a Parrot Head

1. Jimmy Who...
Who the hell is Buffett, oh that guy who did (choose one)
   a. Margaritaville
   b. Cheeseburger in Paradise
   c. Why don't We Get Drunk and Screw.
(Spells Buffett with one "t")

2. Oh it's with two "t's";
Buys "Songs You Know by Heart" because he heard "that one song" at a party.  Starts hearing all about the wild concerts and openly declares to the world that he/she is a parrot head. Goes out and buys that
Hawaiian shirt they wanted all their life, or at least since last week.

3. Look at me, I'm a parrot head.
Goes to a Jimmy Buffett concert and is amazed by all things parrothead. Loved the show but can't remember any of it through the alcoholic haze.

4. One Particular Parrot
Decides they should buy a few more albums so that the old timers will stop laughing at them when Jimmy plays "One Particular Harbour" and he/she says "that's a great song, I've never heard it."

5. Domino College
Buys the box set so they don't have to buy all the old albums. Still gets laughed at or ignored because they've never heard "Migration", and "Cowboy", The good news is she/he knows "Fins" well enough to move his/her hands the right way at the concert.

6. Buffett is God
Starts collecting the albums, buys a couple more Hawaiian shirts, maybe even a coconut bra. Has two concert tees, and a subscription to the Coconut Telegraph. Suddenly has a burning need to find out all
that is Buffett. Considers Buffett to be GOD, 'though they've never heard the song "God's Own Drunk". Actually believes Buffett is a beach bum.
NOTE: Some people never get passed this stage...

7. Say it Ain't so Jimmy.
Is reading everything there is on Buffett and is getting a little disillusioned. They are closing their ears and screaming "say it ain't so" when people criticize their "hero". No one stays at this stage for very long They either punt and return to Stage 6 or move to Stage 8.

8. Screw Buffett...
Accuse Buffett of being a heretic, Accuse him of selling out ... and all the concerts sound the same...Screw Buffett; This is also a dead end stage for many fans. Cancel subscription to CT, complains about
concerts and new records and every other money grubbing venture Mr. Margaritaville is wrapped up in. Hates it when his/her non parrothead friends label him/her a parrot head.

9. My name is ...... and I listen to Buffett music.
Comes to the realization that Buffett is human, and deals with it, with the help of other Buffett fans or some internal strength. Understands the myth, and to some degree, the man who created it and finds  compromise somewhere between stage 6 and stage 8. Can't buy anymore albums because they have them all, already. Enjoys the music for what it represents, which is why they bought it in the first place and ignore all the other bullshit as best as possible, without forsaking their own moral standards.

10. If you reach stage nine and still continuously listen to Buffett and enjoy the concerts and the lifestyle....you, my friend, are a Parrothead.

Aviator
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope.

No disrespect towards his fans, but all his songs all sound the same to me.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#6]
he sucks
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Aye...

I am stage 9

10 Stages of a Parrot Head

1. Jimmy Who...
Who the hell is Buffett, oh that guy who did (choose one)
   a. Margaritaville
   b. Cheeseburger in Paradise
   c. Why don't We Get Drunk and Screw.
(Spells Buffett with one "t")

2. Oh it's with two "t's";
Buys "Songs You Know by Heart" because he heard "that one song" at a party.  Starts hearing all about the wild concerts and openly declares to the world that he/she is a parrot head. Goes out and buys that
Hawaiian shirt they wanted all their life, or at least since last week.

3. Look at me, I'm a parrot head.
Goes to a Jimmy Buffett concert and is amazed by all things parrothead. Loved the show but can't remember any of it through the alcoholic haze.

4. One Particular Parrot
Decides they should buy a few more albums so that the old timers will stop laughing at them when Jimmy plays "One Particular Harbour" and he/she says "that's a great song, I've never heard it."

5. Domino College
Buys the box set so they don't have to buy all the old albums. Still gets laughed at or ignored because they've never heard "Migration", and "Cowboy", The good news is she/he knows "Fins" well enough to move his/her hands the right way at the concert.

6. Buffett is God
Starts collecting the albums, buys a couple more Hawaiian shirts, maybe even a coconut bra. Has two concert tees, and a subscription to the Coconut Telegraph. Suddenly has a burning need to find out all
that is Buffett. Considers Buffett to be GOD, 'though they've never heard the song "God's Own Drunk". Actually believes Buffett is a beach bum.
NOTE: Some people never get passed this stage...

7. Say it Ain't so Jimmy.
Is reading everything there is on Buffett and is getting a little disillusioned. They are closing their ears and screaming "say it ain't so" when people criticize their "hero". No one stays at this stage for very long They either punt and return to Stage 6 or move to Stage 8.

8. Screw Buffett...
Accuse Buffett of being a heretic, Accuse him of selling out ... and all the concerts sound the same...Screw Buffett; This is also a dead end stage for many fans. Cancel subscription to CT, complains about
concerts and new records and every other money grubbing venture Mr. Margaritaville is wrapped up in. Hates it when his/her non parrothead friends label him/her a parrot head.

9. My name is ...... and I listen to Buffett music.
Comes to the realization that Buffett is human, and deals with it, with the help of other Buffett fans or some internal strength. Understands the myth, and to some degree, the man who created it and finds  compromise somewhere between stage 6 and stage 8. Can't buy anymore albums because they have them all, already. Enjoys the music for what it represents, which is why they bought it in the first place and ignore all the other bullshit as best as possible, without forsaking their own moral standards.

10. If you reach stage nine and still continuously listen to Buffett and enjoy the concerts and the lifestyle....you, my friend, are a Parrothead.

Aviator

Then you must read all of his fiction books to move to the next stage.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#8]
wouldn't give him the time of day after he blamed Bush for the BP Oil Spill .... what a jackass
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been to 10 of his shows. I have all of his albums except for some of the recent live ones. Read all of his books except for Swine Not.

Yeah, I'm a Parrothead!

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a buddy that's a stage 6. When he was in Key West sometime back, he went to where he lived and dug through his garbage until he found something with his name on it. We're convinced that he'd give Jimmy a BJ if he had the chance. I like Jimmy too, but not that much . Have most of his older albums and been to around 8 or 9 shows.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#11]
stage 9 although Somehow I managed to skip 6-8
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I like Buffett concerts.  You will most likely have a blast.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#13]
My favorite Buffett song is A Pirate Looks at 40.

I read A Salty Piece of Land. Not earth shattering or significant in any way, but it's a good solid piece of escape fiction.

I'd definitely go to a concert.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I vaguely remember a song done for the classic John Candy film Summer Rental.  Didn't that guy also play the heckler in Cobb?  

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#15]
This salty piece of land.  I just leave it there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
wouldn't give him the time of day after he blamed Bush for the BP Oil Spill .... what a jackass
If I only listened to performers whose politics mirrored my own I would have nothing to listen to.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#17]
A couple of photos from Alpine Valley 2008. We had pretty decent seats.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Only if I'm in the 'mood' .

That 'mood' would involve an Atlantic beach-side tiki bar in Florida on a breezy summer night , sipping some frozen adult concoction to Buffet ( or any one of a hundred different bar-bands that can effectively cover his music) .

A dinner of fresh blackened grouper helps a lot too.

It's an attitude  . . . . a state of mind . I kinda miss it every so often .
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#19]
My favorite Buffett song is West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown because it's about a girl who hates her mother and it has the word "fuck" in it.  

Jane
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I like a lot less than a few of his songs.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#21]
10/10 here.

A Pirate Looks At 40.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWu05SLrS8g&feature=fvst

That was pretty much me, cept =+10 or so years.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#22]
BIL is.  

I got no problem admitting I have no clue what the fascination is about.    
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Even though he's a pinko, I like his music.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
BIL is.  

I got no problem admitting I have no clue what the fascination is about.    

This. I like bands and stuff but never went out of my way to mimic the schtick of any band or person growing up.
Like I said, I would not be going if not for the inlaws buying tickets, which by the way were in the hundreds per ticket.

Must be good seats.  I will have fun, as long as my MIL doesn't say a thousand times how much fun we're having.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#25]
the only people who like that shit are frat boys and fat chicks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#26]
In a way I guess I am.  I have spent time listening to Buffett on a sailboat in Key Biscayne if that helps.  I have even sailed on a boat he used to own, which interestingly he never used.

His last album sucked.  I listened to it twice and stuck it in the drawer.  His old stuff is great, but this cross-over to pop-country has killed his talent.

Manana and A Pirate are the favorite songs, unless a little drunk, then A Love Song From a Different Point of View.

So now its Scott Kirby or Larry Joe Taylor.  LJT is the SHIT.  Check out "4 Good Dogs" by Kirby and "Third Coast" by Taylor.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Great song:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top