Page / 2
Posted: 6/8/2002 7:35:27 PM EDT
http://www.mysfits.com/videos/vette2.WMV

Thanks to Lurch for finding this.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Ricers, Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha  I love 'em.  I love the way the Hills Brothers (coffee) Mufflers sound, the whine of 4cyl turbos and N2O puffing off (if you are lucky enough to actually find a ricer with real race parts, instead of just the stickers!).  Seeing thier faces drop when you stick with them until they are tapped out, and then flooring it.  Makes my heart warm.  When they pull up next to you making all kinds of excuses of why you just made them look like kids playing with Matchbox cars.  "oh, i wasnt ready" or "if i didnt have my friend riding bitch, i would have smoked you" or "I cant run it full blast on the street, its not legal!"  Whatever little boy, you know in your hearts that you just got OWNED!  
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]
An attempt to view that video just "toasted" my video card, screen went all blue and I had to reboot.  Whappened?
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Isn't it N2O?
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I have yet to find a 'vette to 'toast' my 'ricer'.  I may be confused and you may just be referring to these little 'wigger' cars that drag the ground, but my RX7 Turbo makes about 300hp and, to be honest, it may be the 'vette drivers running out of talent.  I don't run except out on the expressway away from the city and hardly any traffic.  The 'vette drivers usually let off at about 130.  It has had the injection played with and has a Racing Beat exhaust system from turbo to tailpipe, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#6]
It is even more fun doing that on my RoadGlide to those little pieces of shit!! They see a touring bike with HD on it and figure slow.  With a 95ci big bore kit, 211 cams, 2 into 1 pro pipe, and ported and polished heads they always end up supprised, and losing[;)]!!!

[beer]

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Doh!! Sentence dyslexia strikes again!! Thought it said Ricer toasts Vette.....
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#8]
LARRYG, technically I wouldn't consider a RX7 a "ricer", nor would a Supra fall into that catagory. Now a civic, accord, prelude, miata or any of the other wannbe race cars would fall into the "ricer" catagory for sure.

[beer]

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It is even more fun doing that on my RoadGlide to those little pieces of shit!! They see a touring bike with HD on it and figure slow.  With a 95ci big bore kit, 211 cams, 2 into 1 pro pipe, and ported and polished heads they always end up supprised, and losing[;)]!!!

[beer]

View Quote

The RoadGlide is my dream Harley...yours set-up sounds like a WetDream!
Cool.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#10]
The RoadGlide is just shy of 100 hp!!! I can still do a little more but doing so would leave me having to fool with it all the damn time. When I had it set up my lead technician gave me my options and I decided I wanted all the power I could get, and make sure it starts every time. Thats what I got!!  One of the salesmen at my shop has a softail standard pushing ~105 hp before the nitrous kicks in, then he's at ~150!!  He can walk away from me out on the road but I am spotting him about 200lbs of bike!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
LARRYG, technically I wouldn't consider a RX7 a "ricer", nor would a Supra fall into that catagory. Now a civic, accord, prelude, miata or any of the other wannbe race cars would fall into the "ricer" catagory for sure.

[beer]

View Quote
Actually,if its made in Asia, its a "ricer", "technically".
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Naw.

Im my terms and friends terms, ricer means car from oversea's (far east) that really isn't a race car and is trying to be one.
They can be easily spotted by their aftermarket ground kits and spoilers.

An RX7 and a supra ARE NOT ricers.
They are oversea's race cars with some serious potential.

The supra can be had with over 450 HP to the WHEELS with almost $2000 in mods.

$2000 in mods really isn't that much money.

I've always wanted a supra, but my driving habits growing up has haunted me on that one (insurance).

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#13]
They are not "race cars", street cars from Japan= "ricers"
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, I have yet to find a 'vette to 'toast' my 'ricer'.  I may be confused and you may just be referring to these little 'wigger' cars that drag the ground, but my RX7 Turbo makes about 300hp and, to be honest, it may be the 'vette drivers running out of talent.  I don't run except out on the expressway away from the city and hardly any traffic.  The 'vette drivers usually let off at about 130.  It has had the injection played with and has a Racing Beat exhaust system from turbo to tailpipe, but that's about it.
View Quote

LarryG, No, your RX7 would not be a "ricer".  You have one of the nicest cars out there.  a "ricer" is usually a Civic or Accord or Integra, ad nauseam that has been totally stripped of its intended purpose.  They usually have LARGE wings and fake NACA ducts.  Almost always have stickers from products that are not installed in the car (i.e. having an Autometer guage sticker on the window, but no Autometer guages installed)
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#15]
In my opinion, the RX7 may be the lone exception to the ricer definition. First, it's REAR wheel drive. And it sounds more like a pissed off hornet than a sewing machine! Or like many ricers, a very long fart.

That said, I'll stick with big block rear wheel drive muscle cars, thanks. They might not be all that stable at 130MPH, but at least they can raise hell without "drugs" (N2O). And should the need arise, opening a valve and flipping a switch can resolve most situations. Just hope it's a straight road!!!

Besides, I REALLY love the sound of a well built V8...
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Isn't it N2O?
View Quote

The correct term is "NOSS".[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe where you come from, but to those in the know, a ricer is some guy with his Civic hatchback, Accura Integra, etc. with a neon kit, tons of stickers for things he doesn't have on his car, 18" wheels, and other such nonesense.  Generally the emphasis is on looks over performance, but looks implying performance.

Sorry, but the MKIV Supra, especially the Twin Turbo, is an awesome car.  If you ditch the twin turbo setup and go with one turbo, you can get up to 600HP out of that Toyota V6, and that's with a stock bottom end.  With some bottom end work and more boost, there are streetable Supra turbos putting out over 1000HP at the flywheel.

The RX-7 is an awesome platform as well, but that rotary engine can be a bitch to keep running properly if you start modifying.

My dream car, other than the insanely expensive exotic stuff?  The Nissan Skyline R-34 GT-R.  AWD and upgradable to over 1000HP.  They run about $90k from motorex.com, who are the only people bringing them in that I'm aware of.

And for the record, that "ricer" is probably a Subaru Impreza WRX, which is a turbo AWD, since he mentions he mentions he's got AWD and also beats the vette off the line in the real race at the end of the video.  Does 0-60MPH in a little over 5 seconds, which isn't bad for a $25k car.  But against any Lingenfelter vette it's no contest, especially with a 150 shot of nitrous oxide.  My friend, who's heavily into imports, almost plopped down the cash for a C5 Lingenfelter twin turbo.  Top speed of 226MPH, and 0-60 in something insane.

But the coolest car I've seen recently is the HPA turbo beetle.  Twin turbo VR6 with AWD drivetrain.  Does 0-60 in under 4 seconds and something like an 11 second 1320.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#18]
The only thing better than that would be seeing a BMW M3 smoking a Vette!
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#19]
That's a sweet video, but that little AWD Talon isn't too shabby.  They can be pretty fast with only a few cheap mods being Turbo'd with AWD...  That is a hoss of a modded Vette and it still took awhile to pass up the Talon after the massive AWD holeshot he got on the last run...  They'll take alot of street cars from a stop.  

However, I can't figure out how it got cool to have a POS civic or accord or something with the tackiest possible exterior "mods" done to it.  And even for the 1% of them that are actually quick with major mods, they still look like/are dogshit??  Youth today, sigh...

Quoted:
The only thing better than that would be seeing a BMW M3 smoking a Vette!
View Quote

Naw, a Z06 Vette would eat that shit all day long...  Gotta get me one of those Z06s, yummm.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got an mpeg of a Honda Civic handing a Dodge Viper it's ass. Shocking to see to say the least. I got it off Grokster so you should be able to check it out yourselves if you really want to.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:42:16 PM EDT
[#22]
[url]www.texasracingscene.com[/url] has lots of cool racing videos in its video forum.

And yeah, having been hanging at the Subaru Impreza board for the past couple weeks, a ricer is someone who dresses up the car without anything to back it up.  They have some cool videos of WRXs taking Camaros and Mustangs at the track, but usually by the time they hit the quarter the HP of the V8s are catching up to the little turbo 4 pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:22:05 PM EDT
[#23]
My opinion...It is not the actual car that is 'rice' it is the person that makes it rice.  An Import car can be properly made into a respectable sports car.  The problem is it is so rarely done properly they are almost nonexistent.  I have seen Mustangs, camaros, VW's, contours, all sorts of stuff that has been made 'rice.'  

A friend of mine has a '98 2 door GTI, 4 banger, it has been lowered correctly (with full neuspeed suspension, not some chop job), real exhaust (mandrel bent stainless steel with a 2 1/4" outlet, no dumb fart can), cams, chip, headers, intake, and some other stuff.  No stickers or bodywork, aftermarket wang (not to be confused with a functional wing on a car that can utilize the downforce of one).  He knows it is not fast compared to a mustang or Camaro but it does handle amazingly, has a nice lopy idle and does not sound like a bumble bee on steroids.  

There are a few imports around here that are fast but for the most part they just slap on body work.  Thus they are fun to mess with in one of my friends Z28, or mustang's.

So while I personally don't think much of a tiny 4 banger in a sports car, when they are built up correctly I respect them.  Even when they are fast, there is no replacing the feeling of 350+ ft/lbs of torque slamming you back in the seat, or the sound of a high compression V8.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
However, I can't figure out how it got cool to have a POS civic or accord or something with the tackiest possible exterior "mods" done to it.  And even for the 1% of them that are actually quick with major mods, they still look like/are dogshit??  Youth today, sigh...
View Quote

Poor kids really don't have much of a choice though, IMO very few under 25 have the funds to buy and insure anything else, other than maybe a ragged out Mustang. Old musclecare restos are expensive too, and it also seems like the auto makers are almost embarrased of performance vehicles (When's the last time we saw the Camaro advertised?)

That being said, I agree the wings, stickers, etc... are retarded. I reckon they are trying to live out some Fast and Furious wet dream. Everytime one of em blows by my 4cyl Blazer I just point and say "too soon".
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#25]
[:D]...Now back to working on the Dart!

(Finally found a good local chassis shop)
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe where you come from, but to those in the know, a ricer is some guy with his Civic hatchback, Accura Integra, etc. with a neon kit, tons of stickers for things he doesn't have on his car, 18" wheels, and other such nonesense.  Generally the emphasis is on looks over performance, but looks implying performance.

Sorry, but the MKIV Supra, especially the Twin Turbo, is an awesome car.  If you ditch the twin turbo setup and go with one turbo, you can get up to 600HP out of that Toyota V6, and that's with a stock bottom end.  With some bottom end work and more boost, there are streetable Supra turbos putting out over 1000HP at the flywheel.

The RX-7 is an awesome platform as well, but that rotary engine can be a bitch to keep running properly if you start modifying.

My dream car, other than the insanely expensive exotic stuff?  The Nissan Skyline R-34 GT-R.  AWD and upgradable to over 1000HP.  They run about $90k from motorex.com, who are the only people bringing them in that I'm aware of.

And for the record, that "ricer" is probably a Subaru Impreza WRX, which is a turbo AWD, since he mentions he mentions he's got AWD and also beats the vette off the line in the real race at the end of the video.  Does 0-60MPH in a little over 5 seconds, which isn't bad for a $25k car.  But against any Lingenfelter vette it's no contest, especially with a 150 shot of nitrous oxide.  My friend, who's heavily into imports, almost plopped down the cash for a C5 Lingenfelter twin turbo.  Top speed of 226MPH, and 0-60 in something insane.

But the coolest car I've seen recently is the HPA turbo beetle.  Twin turbo VR6 with AWD drivetrain.  Does 0-60 in under 4 seconds and something like an 11 second 1320.

View Quote
I'm from not too far away from you I'm sure. At all the drag strips I run at, all the Ricers, riceburners, etc run the "import" classes. Some are quite capable of turning some good times. You bring an RX7 or Supra to the track, you are in the "Import" class with all the ricers, riceburners and assorted other "buggies".  Most are disposable like a bic lighter and come apart after a few runs, and it is quite entertaining to watch. I've seen some good running cars in that class, but they are still considered riceburners/ricers if they are of Japanese manufacture. A Mazda RX7, Toyota supra, corvette , mustang, or any production street car is not a "race car" except in the mind of their owners. I suppose if you owned a riceburner, you would notice the difference between a ricer or a regular riceburner. To my sleeper, american made, consistant low 10, big block, 3800 lb, 3:55 gear, drive to and from the track 150 miles everytime I go, driver chevelle, that line is too thin to notice. Oh, and since you are quoting all the HP figures on these light weight buggies, tell me how much HP I'm making to get this 3800 lb non-tubbed beast to run that 10.12 @ 138.5 1320 last week? Better yet, c'mon down to River City Raceway in Seguin this friday night and we'll go bar hopping after the launchings are done. And then drive to S.A. to show you the Alamo so you'll remember. Maybe we'll find some ricer/riceburners to play with.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 12:57:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because there's no muscle market like their used to be and insurance is insane if you're under 25.  Hell, I'm 26 and my 22 year old wife still gets better rates than I do, so she's listed as the primary driver of both cars by the insurance agent (they did it that way, not us).  In the 60's, 70's, and 80's you had american muscle that was cheap and easy to work on.  The 90's brought ODBI and ODBII.  Sadly to say, as easy as it is to trash riceboys, they feel the same about mullet wearing neckcar fans.

The import thing started with kids inheriting their parents old Honda, and it blossomed into what we have now.  But it's just gotten silly.  Fortunately, it's also convinced the Japanese car makers to bring over some of their best cars.  The WRX is a big example.  Throw one into a 90 degree turn at 50mph and you'll see how much fun that ugly car is to drive.

Still, american automakers haven't done a lot to foster the heyday of working on your own car.  They're still not clued in on what it takes to win in that market, but they're finally trying.  Ford is probably doing the best job, with their SVT Focus.

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 1:19:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Just had to throw this cool link into the mix... It's a AWD twin turbo 95 R33 Skyline putting out 852 kw or around 1100HP on a AWD dyno, it seems quite powerfull, [url=www.exvitermini.com/movies/852r33.mpg]MPG right here[/url].  Other mpgs of it [url=http://www.exvitermini.com/mr33.htm]here [/url].  
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 1:27:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
At all the drag strips I run at, all the Ricers, riceburners, etc run the "import" classes.
View Quote

See, my racist step-grandfather used the term rice-burner, so to me it's an ignorant term.  They use US processed gasoline just like those domestic cars do.  A lot of those "rice-burners" are made here in the US.  We could also discuss how some of those Japanese manufacturers are majority owned by US manufacturers.  The Ford probe was a Mazda designed car, as was the 95-99 Taurus.  But still, you said, and I quote 'street cars from Japan = "ricers"'  Where I'm from, a ricer doesn't put down a good time.  He generally doesn't even run at the track.

Most are disposable like a bic lighter and come apart after a few runs, and it is quite entertaining to watch.
View Quote

Nothing like watching a poorly tuned turbo Civic go boom because they failed to lower the copression ratio or even intercool the damn thing.

I've seen some good running cars in that class, but they are still considered riceburners/ricers if they are of Japanese manufacture.
View Quote

That's not the way they're referred to around here unless you're sporting a mullet.

A Mazda RX7, Toyota supra, corvette , mustang, or any production street car is not a "race car" except in the mind of their owners.
View Quote

It depends on your version of race.  If all you know is NASCAR, then yes, they are not race cars.  But you yourself say you're racing at the strip.  You may not be racing in a pure bred race car, but I bet you've got a roll cage in that thing if you're times are as low as you say.  At the track we run at, if you're under 12 seconds it better have a roll cage or it isn't running.  And a C5 Corvette Z06 comes damn close to being a race car in factory trim, even down to it's titanium exhaust or shaved glass for weight reduction.  And a Subaru Impreza WRX is pretty close to the World Ralley car, with some obvious exceptions like fuel cell, roll cage, sport seats and stripped interior that would be impractical on a street car.

I suppose if you owned a riceburner, you would notice the difference between a ricer or a regular riceburner.
View Quote

Nope, I'm 6'3".  I don't fit in anything short of a truck made by traditionally Japanese automakers.  But I do appreciate what they've done with turbocharged inline and boxer-4's, as well as V6's.  The same with VW/Audi's turbo 1.8L engine or VW's 15 degree VR6 engine, which is amazing from an engineering standpoint.

cont.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 1:28:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Better yet, c'mon down to River City Raceway in Seguin this friday night and we'll go bar hopping after the launchings are done. And then drive to S.A. to show you the Alamo so you'll remember. Maybe we'll find some ricer/riceburners to play with.
View Quote

Hehe, playing with ricers is always fun.  I made two kids in their honda's cry recently.  They had more stickers than a schoolgirl's notebook and guages galore, but they got all sad when my turbo spooled and their swarm of angy bees couldn't keep up.  Not that I'm fast, but I've been known to make a few 4.6 liter mustangs look sick when they see tail lights.  The 5.0 is another story though.  And I don't even play with LS1 Chevys unless they start it.  Sure, I'll lose, but I won't back down.  And don't misunderstand.  I recently helped restore a 1969 Corvette Stingray and just yesterday helped replace the pushrods on a 1957 Chevy 3100.

And I'm always interested in seeing the Alamo again, as well as hanging out with my well armed friends in Austin and San Antonio.  I could go every day of my life and it wouldn't be enough.  Fortunately we have the San Jacinto monument nearby.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 2:36:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Personally, I love my V8. [i]Japanese[/i] V8, that is. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#32]
I know that links to this thread have been posted just about eveywhere. If you haven't read the

"Race your "Super Fast" C5 with my stupid rice Civic SI for $100"
thread yet, check it out.

[url]http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=266208&page=1[/url]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#33]
H*ll I toast the "Rice Racers" all the time in My Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 Litre(318C.I.)

I laughed my way through the Fast and Furious, until they showed the real car Dodge Challenger, and cried when they thought nothing of totalling it !

Hey, Honda Jockey's I got a 69 GTO Ram AIR three with 400 CUBES AND 1 hp peR CUBE THAT'S HUNGRY...... hERE hONDA,HONDA.....  
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#34]
I love pulling up to riced out vehicles with my family 4 door sedan, and watching their jaws drop.  I've done the same thing to a few z28 and mustang owners also....

[img]http://www.curvedspace.net/Audi/MVC-006F.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm from not too far away from you I'm sure. At all the drag strips I run at, all the Ricers, riceburners, etc run the "import" classes. Some are quite capable of turning some good times. You bring an RX7 or Supra to the track, you are in the "Import" class with all the ricers, riceburners and assorted other "buggies".  Most are disposable like a bic lighter and come apart after a few runs, and it is quite entertaining to watch. I've seen some good running cars in that class, but they are still considered riceburners/ricers if they are of Japanese manufacture. A Mazda RX7, Toyota supra, corvette , mustang, or any production street car is not a "race car" except in the mind of their owners. I suppose if you owned a riceburner, you would notice the difference between a ricer or a regular riceburner. To my sleeper, american made, consistant low 10, big block, 3800 lb, 3:55 gear, drive to and from the track 150 miles everytime I go, driver chevelle, that line is too thin to notice. Oh, and since you are quoting all the HP figures on these light weight buggies, tell me how much HP I'm making to get this 3800 lb non-tubbed beast to run that 10.12 @ 138.5 1320 last week? Better yet, c'mon down to River City Raceway in Seguin this friday night and we'll go bar hopping after the launchings are done. And then drive to S.A. to show you the Alamo so you'll remember. Maybe we'll find some ricer/riceburners to play with.
View Quote

Lets see, you put one of these [url]http://www.jgenginedynamics.com/engines2[/url] 845 Bhp. and 520 lbs. of torque at 28 lbs. of boost. JG pro series B18C. in a car that weighs about a ton less than your car and I'm guessing your not gonna make it to the end faster.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Of course in the late 80's I had a lot of fun with the 1981 Crown vic Family car Shooling Z-28's and Mustang gt's all over! I'm soory did i happen to mention it was an F.B.I. interceptor car from a cancelled contract with over sized cooling,dual exhaust,High speed rear that I had the 351C.I.Interceptor bored 60 over and cleveland heads milled to fit!

Boy you should have seen their faces when it kicked into "pursuit" overdrive! SEE YA!

Then I let my parents drive it while at college and they never changed the oil,man i loved that car![>(]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#37]
When I was really into street racing we called Japanese cars "rice burners" and "sewing machines"  had nothing to do other than the car was a Japanese import.  Regarding the 3800lb Chevelle that runs 10s with 3.55s and driven on the street; that is something I wish I could see.  To run that fast you have to be running some type of boost, nitrous, or one hell of a stroker motor. The gear ratio just seems too little which means you aint getting down the track with a lot of RPM. My old 67 Mustang with a stroker 351 windsor and weighing in at 2800 lbs runs about the same times at altitude high Palmdale.  Too bad we don't live closer to each other.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Everything you ever wanted to know about ricers but were afraid to ask.

[url]http://www.riceboypage.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#39]

For $2000 you can get a Vette to 525HP. Stock a Vette can Dyno @ 330-340HP. Changing the Exhaust, plugging in a skip shift, and a hi flow MAF sensor can beef that up to 400HP. Cost would be less than $1500.

I don't see buying these Jap cars and modifying the hell out of em. Why not just save the money and buy a real car that doesn't not require modifications to up the HP. It like buying KMart jeans an making it look like a designer brand, why not just save up and buy the designer brand. As far as Jap cars go, I would only consider purchasing two. The would be the NSX. And the old RX7's with the rotary engines. Other than that ALL of em are great PASSENGER vehicles that's all. You want raw speed, buy American or European. Vettes, Camaro SS(too bad they don't make em anymore) BMW M3, Viper, Ferrari F50....all of which you can take from the dealer to the race track with no stops to a local speed shop to get modified.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Why modify? Because it's fun and you learn.

That's what hot rodding is all about.

It's not about how much money you have.

It's about what you do with the little money you have and how innovative you are.  

It's not about buying the most expensive car and walking around like you are a car god because you can put on an exhaust and chip.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Why modify? Because it's fun and you learn.

That's what hot rodding is all about.

It's not about how much money you have.

It's about what you do with the little money you have and how innovative you are.  

It's not about buying the most expensive car and walking around like you are a car god because you can put on an exhaust and chip.
View Quote

I hear ya, and I agree. But have a good foundation to modify from. My question is why modify a souped up lawn mower engine that is bolted on a cheap ass frame covered in recycled plastic.

As far as cost, a V8 325HP Camaro Z28 cost as much as a loaded Integra that's need at least an extra $5K in mods to get up to the performance of a Camaro. So what's the point? Buy the Camaro put $5K into and you can get it to 500HP
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#42]
My Taurus SHO will smoke all you guys!

I mean if I was to dump all the money I've put into guns this last year, I could bump my 235hp SHO to 300 easily.

I like the 4door sleepers that are fast.
(mainly for insurance reasons)

They next car will be a 96-99 M3 or a Used S4 Audi.

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 12:41:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Best time of 10.20 in the quarter without a baby bottle. It now has a badge and is street legal. No! It ain't no good in the turns!
[img]http://pages.prodigy.net/labradorx3/public_html/bills69nova.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I love it when some little punk who has just watched "The Fast and the Furious" pulls up along side of me and gives me the 5..4..3...2..1... and then all he sees is a CARRERA 4 deck badge pulling off in the distance. It's even better when they pull that crap against me and my 86 "stock" Carrera, they hear the whine but don't understand the sweet smell of the Whipple.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't it N2O?
View Quote

The correct term is "NOSS".[rolleyes]
View Quote
I always heard, and saw, "NOX".
View Quote

I believe its "NOS"
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I love pulling up to riced out vehicles with my family 4 door sedan, and watching their jaws drop.  I've done the same thing to a few z28 and mustang owners also....

[url]http://www.curvedspace.net/Audi/MVC-006F.JPG[/url]
View Quote

Nice.  Who's chip are you running and what are the upgrades.  I'm fond of APR myself.  I know two guys with S4's that have the RS4 KO4 sport turbo upgrades that are insanely fast.

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
When I was really into street racing we called Japanese cars "rice burners" and "sewing machines"  had nothing to do other than the car was a Japanese import.  Regarding the 3800lb Chevelle that runs 10s with 3.55s and driven on the street; that is something I wish I could see.  To run that fast you have to be running some type of boost, nitrous, or one hell of a stroker motor. The gear ratio just seems too little which means you aint getting down the track with a lot of RPM. My old 67 Mustang with a stroker 351 windsor and weighing in at 2800 lbs runs about the same times at altitude high Palmdale.  Too bad we don't live closer to each other.
View Quote

I wasn't gonna say it until you spoke up, but I call BS on this Chevelle too! I spent many years drag racing and I can tell you that to get a 3800 pound car to run low tens with 3.55 gears would require, like, 1,000 horsepower or more! Hell, my Challenger ran consistantly in the 10.0's with a best of 9.80's in perfect conditions, and it weighed 2600 pounds, had 4.88 gears, and dyno'd at well over 700 HP. It was mostly VFN fiberglass and had 15x33" slicks and an Alston 4 link chassis.

3.55's are commuter gears and as far as I know they don't even make a set for a GM 12 bolt rear that is strong enough to live in the claimed environment.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Best time of 10.20 in the quarter without a baby bottle. It now has a badge and is street legal. No! It ain't no good in the turns!
[url]http://pages.prodigy.net/labradorx3/public_html/bills69nova.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Nice!!  And I'm even a Mopar guy so you know how I normally talk about the GM competition!!!
Your Nova is sweet!
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[url]http://www.curvedspace.net/Audi/MVC-006F.JPG[/url]
View Quote

Nice.  Who's chip are you running and what are the upgrades.  I'm fond of APR myself.  I know two guys with S4's that have the RS4 KO4 sport turbo upgrades that are insanely fast.

View Quote

Here are the specs:

2000 Audi S4
H&R Coilovers
APR Stage 2 + race program.
Neuspeed/Borla Exhaust, 3" mandrel bent
UUC 20% short shifter
Abt Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Pagid Blue brake pads
SSR Competition Wheels
Bridgestone Potenza S02 PP's  235/40R17

Everything looks stock from the outside except for the wheels and tires and more aggressive stance.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
[url]http://pages.prodigy.net/labradorx3/public_html/bills69nova.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Nice '69. My first car was a '69 SS 396 w/ M21 and a 3:31 (or close to it) posi rear that my dad special ordered in '68.
Man I miss that car!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top