Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2011 5:23:05 PM EDT
I would like to ditch the landline as I have two cell phones. I've read hundreds of bad reviews about Magic Jack. Any other options? What have you guys tried?
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Vonage seems to work well. It will work as good as your internet connection lets it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#2]
MagicJack worked for me, but it's downside is that your computer has to be on. I switch to nettalk which plugs into the modem.  First year is $70, after that it'll be $30 a year

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 4:30:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I use an ooma hub. No computer required, just broadband internet. No monthly fees except for international calls and some premium services. The call quality has been excellent for me. It pays for itself in 4-6 months. I've been on mine for about 3 years.

http://ooma.com
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 4:32:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Vonage just jacked my rates up from $9.95 with 200 minutes to $11.99 with 300 minutes. Might have to cancel soon, I just needed a line as a holder for the # I've had for 20 years and an occasional fax.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 4:46:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a friend who uses it.  He calls me from Houston, there is some delay and buffering.  If you just keep that in mind, like you are talking on a radio, it works okay.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 5:01:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I use an ooma hub. No computer required, just broadband internet. No monthly fees except for international calls and some premium services. The call quality has been excellent for me. It pays for itself in 4-6 months. I've been on mine for about 3 years.

Another +1 for Ooma here. You can even check your voicemail online. Standalone box, number porting option in case you want to keep your number when switching to them.

One caveat: you have to play with settings to get accurate faxing, which degrades voice call quality if you don't switch it back after sending the fax.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 5:03:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
MagicJack worked for me, but it's downside is that your computer has to be on. I switch to nettalk which plugs into the modem.  First year is $70, after that it'll be $30 a year  

I just renewed my NetTalk for the second year.  I like them very much. You can even pick your phone number on the website...pretty sweet!
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 6:59:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Do I need a wireless router to use Net Talk or does it just plug into the computer?
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do I need a wireless router to use Net Talk or does it just plug into the computer?

It bypasses the computer, which is why it's awesome.  Magic Jack needs to go this route.

It needs any router...doesn't have to be wireless.  Plug it into a port on the router, and then plug your phone into it...or do like I did, and wire the phone jack to your entire house wiring.  Now all my jacks are wired for the NetTalk.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 5:32:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It bypasses the computer, which is why it's awesome.  Magic Jack needs to go this route.

It needs any router...doesn't have to be wireless.  Plug it into a port on the router, and then plug your phone into it...or do like I did, and wire the phone jack to your entire house wiring.  Now all my jacks are wired for the NetTalk.

That's the same thing I did.

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 5:37:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I went with a Cisco 2811 ISR, a couple 7962 phones, and a SIP trunk. Initial cost was...high.

But now, I average around $10/mo for it, depending on usage.

(No one in their right mind does this at home, but I'm a geek, so it was inevitable).
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 5:50:12 AM EDT
[#13]
All we get on the house phone is sales calls.  Is there any reason at all to keep it?  The whole fam has cells.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 6:00:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been looking at Obihai boxes, has anyone used them?
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

All we get on the house phone is sales calls.  Is there any reason at all to keep it?  The whole fam has cells.

It depends on your usage.

I don't have a real need for a cell phone, and I sure as hell don't want to pay their ripoff rates.  I only make and receive calls a couple of times a week.  I did get a Tracfone with a 1000 mins which will more than cover me for a year in the case of an emergency (only cost about $114 for the whole year).  NetTalk and/or MagicJack are perfect for me.  I get the benefit of a home phone for a very small fraction of the price.

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 6:15:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That looks interesting.  I will have to do some more research on it.

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 6:31:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

From what little research I did looks like you can use a Google Voice number or use a SIP service like VOIP MyWay, no 911 service with Obi....
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 6:48:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's why I ported my home phone to Google Voice.  Now if you call my home phone number you go straight to voicemail and the message gets emailed to us.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Do any of these work with alarm systems?  

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Do any of these work with alarm systems?  

Mine does, but again, it's gross overkill for residential use.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I have an Ooma and it works very well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#22]
just remember that every VoIP service runs over the internet, so you voice quality will depend on the quality of your internet connection.

Allot of internet providers are telecom companies and if you dump the land line for VoIP they will now you are running voip and if you dump their traditional land line service they are losing money.

So we have ways of making your VoIP calls sound crappy.

Plus allot of DSL providers require you to carry their copper service if you want internet access.

Mine does I have DSL and I have to have phone service, and I work for the phone company in this area.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#23]
My dad is thinking about this, but the recent floods and power outages caused by Hurricane Irene are causing second thoughts.  If your power is out does VOIP still work?
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Magic Jack with a dedicated thin client from ebay for $70.

Works great last long time. Coming up on 3 years now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I hooked up my NetTalk box and it works great. Here is my one question....

Why do you I have to use the area code when calling someone with the same area code as me? They have to use it also to call me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I went with a Cisco 2811 ISR, a couple 7962 phones, and a SIP trunk. Initial cost was...high.

(No one in their right mind does this at home, but I'm a geek, so it was inevitable).

What provider are you using for your SIP trunk?

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your talking Greek to me...sorry

My internet provider is roadrunner. That help?

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Callcentric.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

+1 here. WIth the idea of phone messages also emailed to any accounrt, it has some bonuses. Never an issue with the service and will probably end up buying another for a business environment.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I have magic talk for when my wife runs over her minutes on her phone or when I plan on making long phone calls. I have no issues with it and do not plan on changing. Yes the computer has to be on, but it's a laptop that is always on anyway.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Why do you I have to use the area code when calling someone with the same area code as me? They have to use it also to call me.

Both MJ and NT are like this.  The call isn't really placed local.  IIRC I think NT's hub is in Florida.  

I set my phone up so that the most common numbers I dial are on speed-dial.  I add the area code and it's easy to use.  I'm used to having to put in the area code, I don't think about it anymore.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:47:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think the overall standard for many places is now 10 digit dialing.  Since you guys aren't on the same switch anymore as in your phone number belongs to NetTalk, the local exchange can't simply route the call with the area code left off.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:56:39 AM EDT
[#34]
I already pay for two cell phones, why we have to have a landline is beyond me. Shit, even Gmail has a phone function.

But no, we pay for phone + unlimited long distance. If I can get the wife to get a Google Voice # then the long distance goes away.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:04:37 AM EDT
[#35]
here's a question.  is there a voip service out there that will work with a fax or dial-out modem?  i sometimes need to send faxes or dial up to a customer's site via modem.  everything i've seen says this only works over a landline.  if there's a way, i'd love to ditch the home phone since this is pretty much the only reason i even still have one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:19:43 AM EDT
[#36]
here is the only bad experiences I have had

once after about 6 months the phone just quit working..

I called and they have to re-set it from the office..  that has only happened once

then when I went on vacation, I usually turn off a power strip that runs my PC while I'm gone.

well, I didn't think that the VOIP modem was hooked to that strip and my phone didn't work while I was gone.

no big deal, people who really know me had my cell number anyway

but it has to have electricity to work where a real landline with a basic old style phone will still work many times if your house power is out

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#37]
http://www.voipo.com/

Been using them for a few years since SunRocket closed down.

Wait for a 2 years for $189 special deal.

Service has been mostly trouble free, once in a while the adapter needs to be rebooted.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

here's a question.  is there a voip service out there that will work with a fax or dial-out modem?  i sometimes need to send faxes or dial up to a customer's site via modem.  everything i've seen says this only works over a landline.  if there's a way, i'd love to ditch the home phone since this is pretty much the only reason i even still have one.

I believe NetTalk does

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe NetTalk does

I think T38 support for fax is on the roadmap for NetTalk.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I would like to ditch the landline as I have two cell phones. I've read hundreds of bad reviews about Magic Jack. Any other options? What have you guys tried?

I just ditched the landline period. Never looked back...

The only viable reason I can see for having a landline is to send and recieve faxes. I just scan documents and email them, so I don't even need a fax line.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe NetTalk does

I think T38 support for fax is on the roadmap for NetTalk.

If the provider uses g.711 as their voice codec, you can send it in-band through an ATA.

If I absolutely MUST send a fax (I practically need a gun held to my head), I just use my corporate fax server. Fuck faxing.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#42]
The limited faxing I do, it usually works through my provider(VoipO).  It might take one or two tries.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#43]
If T-Mobile is an option, they have some phones that can connect to their network over WiFi. You get free unlimited minutes and no roaming charges from anywhere in the world when connected that way, as long as you maintain a voice plan of at least $39 a month IIRC.

Works great for me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#44]
My MagicJack works just fine.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#45]
unless you need a phone in your house, just dump it all together.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top