BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2002 11:09:20 PM EDT

The World Cup Soccer Tournament is going on this weekend [:|]

What's your opinion of soccer?[sleep]

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
One of the best Simpsons episodes.  A soccer riot because the game is so boring.  WTF are people thinking?  "Center passes to wing... back to center... back to wing... holding... holding..." -Kent Brockman
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]
... I wouldn't EVEN want to get into a fracas with a British soccer hooligan.

... Vouyerism is kewl though
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:01:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I really dindt play much soccer growing up. I always wrestled and played football. For some reason I have enjoyed watching the World Cup this year. I have to give those guys some credit. The only thing I could do without is the fake injuries. Everytime someone gets the ball taken away from him he drops and clinches his leg like he was just shot with and AR15. Its not the most exciting sport but the fan base makes the game what it is.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 2:36:31 AM EDT
[#5]
DK-Prof...you haven't ever played American football have you? Ever have a 350+ pound guy with cleats step on your hand, while he was running after the ball carrier?

Soccer seems like it's an okay sport, but too much acting.

**Edited to add that around here we call soccer players [b]lawn fairies[/b].[}:D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 4:01:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd rather watch tennis.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 5:24:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Love it.  I've played basketball, baseball, and soccer.  With soccer "football" you really need to be in excellent shape.  90 minutes of running, walking, sprinting etc.  Haven't played in the past year because of my knees.  

Watching the WC on tv right now.  The only thing I hate about soccer is the lame fake injuries and all the pushing.  Go USA.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 5:58:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Spectator "sports" inhale large.  We are participants.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:37:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I nominate DK-Prof as "board curmudgeon." Where would an internet board be without someone designated to take a contrary viewpoint?
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, at least soccer has rules one can understand and explain in a few simple words:

2 teams (10 and a goalie each), 1 ball, 2 goals. One team tries to sink the ball into the goal of the other team. Don't use your hands. In the end, the German team wins.*

*Well, not bloody likely this time around.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Soccer is the best sport ever!

First of all, you have to be REALLY fit to play - 90 minutes of running around.
View Quote

So they work up a sweat - BFD!

Ya know, if a bunch of guys ran around for 90 minutes catching raindrops on their tongue, would THAT make it a great sport too??

First of all - soccer (or "futbol") is played on the BIGGEST F@KING playing field in all of "organized" sports and yet they STILL can't keep from kicking the ball out of bounds every five seconds.

Second - there are just WAAAAY too many players on each team. No wonder it takes a miracle to get a play together where the ball is taken from end-to-end in a controlled manner for a score. It's a frickin moshpit - it's not a sport with any stategy!

Third - I forget the comedian who said it (I think it was none other than Larry Miller) but it goes something like this: "Soccer's the only sport where, if the ball hits you in the head - it's a GOOD thing." I'm sorry but since there's NO intelligence, strategy, concentration or ANY mental activity required in soccer, I guess, naturally, your head would only become useful as  just another foot.

Fourth - NO ONE KNOWS HOW MUCH TIME IS LEFT IN THE GAME?!? This goes along with the players being brainless, unthinking toe-heads running aimlessly up and down the field kicking each other's shins with no strategy or planning required.

Lastly - the "free kicks" where the brainless toe-heads on the other team line up and become motionless statues covering their groin while the other guy belts one past them???

Nope. To me, an "organized" sport is more than just sprinting up and down the lawn for 90 minutes - or however long the ref decides because you'll never know until it's over how long you've played.

And to those who will respond "I guess you've never played the sport" you're wrong. I knew then that it was just plain primative, brainless, toe-headed, aimless, sweaty, third-world idiocy.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:23:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Ratters! LOL  

on this note - Too bad for Deutschland (Federal Republic of Germany).. Das tut mir leid

I have tears streaming from the face and my eyes
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:23:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey Mac.  Check your IM. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hey Mac.  Check your IM. [;)]
View Quote

Thanks. Same to you. [;)]

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Some years back, a Brazilian player kicks a game winning goal...But it was for the opposing team!! He was found murdered days later..By his own countrymen. Whoops!!

Ref makes bad call in another game... See his ability to rapidly traverse multiple chain-link fences while being persued by an angry mob bent on his destruction. Funny video.

Oh yeah, I watch it for the riots!!

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#17]
This will probably be the only time I disagree with The_Macallan.

ARH
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I've always thought that the game was really boring.  Both my sons played it for a little while but got tired of it.  I use to hate to go to the games.  Couldn't wait for the games to be over.  Several of the other dads would bring a portable TV and we would watch college football as the boys were playing in the fall.

It is a third world thing.  Another UN led attack on our culture.  Let all the commie bastards in the world play "futbol".  It's not for real Americans.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:04:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Soccer is the best sport ever!
[:D]
View Quote

If you're looking for a lively action filled sport, look to lacrosse!  Its one of the fastest games around and in my opinion the most exciting.

Soccer?  We beat those pussies up for shits and giggles back in high school!
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Some years back, a Brazilian player kicks a game winning goal...But it was for the opposing team!! He was found murdered days later..By his own countrymen. Whoops!!
View Quote

He was Columbian...and that game was against the Americans in 1994.

I watch soccer to see all the third world fuckos jump up and down and yell: [b]"TAX ME! TAX ME! I LOVE KOFFEE ANNAN, THE U.N. AND GUN CONTROL!"[/b] [bounce]

To be honest, I'd prefer golf any day.

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top