Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2002 7:23:14 PM EDT
[size=4]Democrats Back Away from Gun Issue in 2002 Races[/size=4]

5/29/2002

In an effort to regain control of the U.S. House of Representatives and retain the majority in the U.S. Senate, Democratic candidates are planning to back away from the gun-control issue, The Hill reported May 22.
Saying that Vice President Al Gore lost the states of West Virginia, Arkansas, and Tennessee in the 2000 presidential election in large part because of his support for gun control, Democrats plan to stay away from the issue in all but a few isolated races.

"I think people felt burned by 2000 on the gun issue," said Democratic pollster Stan Greenberg. "I don't see any pressure to get the gun issue on the national agenda. I don't even see a discussion of it. It's not even that they're debating it and deciding against it. I think it's just taken for granted that it's not going to be emphasized."

A Democracy Corps poll conducted this May found that swing voters have a more favorable opinion of the National Rifle Association (NRA) than the electorate at large.

"I don't think there's a Second Amendment right to own a gun. But I think it's a loser political issue. I think the issue has not been good for us. On top of that, I like guns," said Democratic strategist James Carville.

NRA chief lobbyist Chris Cox said more Democrats have been courting the gun lobby since the 2000 election. "The Democratic leadership has recognized that supporting a gun-control agenda is not politically feasible," he said. "Electoral college losses in West Virginia, Tennessee, and Arkansas and the subsequent analysis by political commentators and even Bill Clinton point to the significance of Second Amendment issues throughout the country."

[url]enews.millionmommarch.org/plugin.jtml?siteID=MMM&p=1&Tab=News&Object_ID=551387[/url]

Is that guy psycho? He likes guns but feels the Second Amendment does not apply to individual ownership?

These guys will sell their mother for a vote or two.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]
On a related note (older link):

[size=4]Democrats Support Gun Ownership in Policy Document[/size=4]

8/21/2001

Moderate Democratic leaders are drafting a "Contract With America"-type policy document for the 2002 elections that states their support for the right to own guns, the Newhouse News Service reported July 20.

The policy also would stress the importance of religion, fiscal responsibility, a strong national defense, and the role of fathers in their families.

"It would be our version of the Contract with America," said Al From, founder and chief executive officer of the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC). In 1994, the Republican Party issued the Contract, which pledged to support tax cuts, smaller government, and other initiatives aimed at mainstream America.

The Democrats' version is intended to bridge a perceived gap between the party and millions of voters. [b]It was the end result of a recent three-day conference designed to change public perceptions that the party is too liberal, too reliant on big government programs, hostile to people of religious faith, and unreceptive to white males.[/b]

DLC President Bruce Reed is drafting the contract. He served as the White House domestic-policy chief in the final years of the Clinton administration.

"Democrats should promote responsible gun ownership rather than pushing for sweeping national gun-control legislation that raises the specter of an ultimate ban on private gun ownership," wrote DLC leaders in a new report.

[url]enews.millionmommarch.org/plugin.jtml?siteID=MMM&p=1&Tab=News&Object_ID=545369[/url]

That was in August. Have they demonstrated their published change in policy? I think not!
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Would YOU trust that guy with a GUN?
[shock]
"Here, JimmyBro, hold my Dissipator for a minute, will ya?  By the way, I'm a Republican."

That 'wouldn't be prudent', 'not gonna do it'...
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#3]
""On top of that, I like guns," said Democratic strategist James Carville." = "Please, please vote for us."
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[size=4]Democrats Back Away from Gun Issue in 2002 Races[/size=4]

5/29/2002

Saying that Vice President Al Gore lost the states of West Virginia, Arkansas, and Tennessee in the 2000 presidential election in large part because of his support for gun control, Democrats plan to stay away from the issue in all but a few isolated races.
View Quote

Speaking for the Commonwealth, it didn't help numbnuts in Virginia, either....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
When I think of Carville, I think of the TV series, "V"
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Carville is so full of himself though that he thinks that the Second Amendment doesn't protect an individual's right to own a gun but certain members of the "elite" like himself, Chuckie Schumer, Dianne Feinstein, etc.

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"I don't think there's a Second Amendment right to own a gun. But I think it's a loser political issue. I think the issue has not been good for us. On top of that, I like guns," said Democratic strategist James Carville.
View Quote

Yeah, and Bill Clinton was a duck hunter.

It all depends on what the definition of "is" is, don't you see? "Guns" to Carville and Clinton and the rest of those jagoffs means a nice Franchi over and under 12 gauge or a Sarah Brady gift special: a Winchester Model 70. Those people "like guns" enough to barely try and stay on the political landscape, but they don't have to worry about defending themselves, do they? They're the protected elite, with armed security to take care of that for them. And they don't have to worry about ever using the Second Amendment to protect the rest of them; they're the ones actively dismantling the Republic for which it stands.

Make no mistake, they "like guns" just long enough for the political winds to blow back around their way long enough for people to start thinking about something else and they can sneak another gun, mag or ammo ban through.

Some, like Gray Davis must not have gotten the message that the Democratic Party is taking the "third way" on guns: his new campaign commercials are crowing about how he "signed the toughest gun control laws in the nation." And do you think Mayor Daley of Chicago is backing away from gun issues?

What a sick, sad joke that anyone would buy that pile of shiite.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#8]
James Carville is the love child of Barney Frank and Ann Lewis.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
Am I the only one that finds that statement to be oxymoronic, especially given some of his rantings about guns on various TV shows.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#11]
As the elections draw nearer, I would not be surprised to see DemoKrats sporting NRA bumper stickers and NRA baseball caps. Beware, the 2002 lizocrats have landed.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#12]
maybe we can use this to have the 1994 gun ban sunset for good!  then ofcourse we dump them on their ass's
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://www.igrescue.org/images/carville.jpg[/img]

Can you feel the love...?
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#14]
That numbnuts doesn't need a gun to fend off the bad guys. One look at that serpent-headed freak is enough to give anyone the heebie-jeebies and prompt them to run for cover.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#15]
He sucks- can't stand him or his mouth.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 11:53:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Eve - I don't care WHAT he says ---- DON'T BITE IT!!!!

Adam
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 12:07:33 AM EDT
[#17]
pull my finger...

its just too bad its all an act.  as soon as the election is over they'll be back at it again.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 12:30:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Sure, James Carville likes guns,

[b][size=5]but he doesn't think you should have any![/size=5][/b]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 4:45:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Does anyone think they have really changed?

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 5:17:28 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

I don't understand people's inability to understand simple English.  Whether you think the second means individually or collectively, it still gurantees the right to own a gun.  This from the same people that try to put spin on the word "is." [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 5:22:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

"They Live"
[img]http://www.toptown.com/dorms/creedstonegate/they/obey.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#22]
i have serious doubts that this is the true feeling of carville and the democrats.  this man helped set the agenda for one of the most oppressive dictatorships (Klinton) in the history of the U.S.
had the dem's been in control of the senate then as they are now, we would all be slaves to the state.  i do not believe the dem agenda has changed, they are just trying a different approach.

picture carville next to a viper.  if you trust him and he bites you - well, you knew what he was....
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 5:36:22 AM EDT
[#23]
All the Liberals and members of the ruling "Elites" like guns...for themselves and their kind alone...
The peasant class...has no business possessing them...the ruling class lives in fear of a peasant uprising..
Yet our founding fathers never feared We The People owning firearms...They believed their governing power came from We The People and did not consider We The People a peasant class but co-citizens..They trusted decent people to protect themselves their familes and their neighbors and that the goodness of God fearing people would also give them loyalty to country enough good sense that they coulb be trusted and would do the right thing ....when presented with the decision of how, when and where to use those firearms..
Ive seen photos of the Clintons duck hunting...old slick with his Benelli Black Eagle...I believe Diane Finestein had a small auto pistol fall out of her purse at some banquet a few years back...Whorllywood is an arsenal of well armed movie stars who are vocally anti-gun ownership (for you)...
Prince Charles and his baby brother Andrew are well trained in the use of all firearms including those on Harrier Jets and Attack Heliocopters...I read some time ago that Andrew enjoyed hunting terrorists with SAS down in Honduras...
But they do not believe that you should be allowed to own or possess a firearm for personal defense of family property or neighbors....
Its an elite thing
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 5:53:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
                                        ...to his wife......"you put sugar in my coffee again...i`ll be all over you like white on rice...BITCH"
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:20:01 AM EDT
[#25]
James Carville...from Carville, Louisiana...home of the national isolation center for Hansen's Disease.  In other words he's from the Leprosy capital of the USA.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#26]
HELP !!!!! I NEED NEW TARGETS.........!!!!!

ALL computer guys'n gals...,

can that photo of Carvile be enlarged & used as a target ??

it will be nailed along side my Osama & Bubba targets.....
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Sounds like a Trojan Horse strategy to me. The dems will do and/or say whatever it takes to forward their cause.

Stepped-init
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Sounds like a Trojan Horse strategy to me. The dems will do and/or say whatever it takes to forward their cause.

Stepped-init
View Quote

That my friend, I can call you friend can't I, is the way of all politicians!
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Actually, he looks more like a Faringi...
[img]http://drango.com/images/startrek4a.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
These guys will sell their mother for a vote or two.
View Quote

IF its their daughters, I'll take it.

Seriously, zebras don't change their stripes. Just because they don't discuss it, doesn't mean that they won't try to pass more bans once they get into office. The party's overall voting will still stand.

An example, Chuck Schumer and John McCain are  still actively pushing hard to close the "gun show" loop hole.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Some, like Gray Davis must not have gotten the message that the Democratic Party is taking the "third way" on guns: his new campaign commercials are crowing about how he "signed the toughest gun control laws in the nation." And do you think Mayor Daley of Chicago is backing away from gun issues?

What a sick, sad joke that anyone would buy that pile of shiite.
View Quote

I think those are the "few exceptions" that Caraville was talking about. As you know, here in the PRK, the Democrats absolutely control both houses in the state government, the GOP is become pretty much "irrelevant." so it will probably be safe for the Democratic leadership to harp on for more gun control.

But ever since 9/11/01 WTC/Pentagon attack, quite a few people have changed from virulent anti-gun to mildly anti-gun.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:57:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think those are the "few exceptions" that Caraville was talking about. As you know, here in the PRK, the Democrats absolutely control both houses in the state government, the GOP is become pretty much "irrelevant." so it will probably be safe for the Democratic leadership to harp on for more gun control.
View Quote

Which exposes Carville's lie for exactly what it is. Democrats are "backing away," except where it won't cost them. In other words, where they have the freedom to fully exploit their true agenda, they send out CAGE teams and try to pass $0.05/round ammunition taxes. The mask (and gloves) are off their true intent in areas where there isn't opposition with any serious stick to swing.

But ever since 9/11/01 WTC/Pentagon attack, quite a few people have changed from virulent anti-gun to mildly anti-gun.
View Quote

Is that like going from being virulently pro-subjugation and oppression to merely mildly pro-subjugation and oppression? [;D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Which exposes Carville's lie for exactly what it is. Democrats are "backing away," except where it won't cost them. In other words, where they have the freedom to fully exploit their true agenda, they send out CAGE teams and try to pass $0.05/round ammunition taxes. The mask (and gloves) are off their true intent in areas where there isn't opposition with any serious stick to swing.

View Quote

Is that like going from being virulently pro-subjugation and oppression to merely mildly pro-subjugation and oppression? [;D]
View Quote

Ouch![:D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

ahhh, thats were I've seen him before.
lol.

SSD
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, he looks more like a Faringi...
View Quote

Yeah, he looks like one, but isn't as trustworthy.......[;D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Modern American politicians are PRAGMATISTS to the core.  This means they'll sway whichever way the polls tell them to.  

In this case the dems are trying to pick up swing voters in some states who don't like the gun control agenda.  So the dems put their "no gun control" costume on to try to get elected.

AFTER they're elected they can vote against guns because 1) "it's for the children" and 2) it's WAY harder to get rid of an incumbent.

It's totally sleezy and unprincipled -- but isn't that what politicians are???

- CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top