Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2002 9:28:05 AM EDT
All the family dogs have died about a year ago
The wife wants to get another dog, Thus the topic header.

I just thought I would open a forum to let people air their .02 cent about their dog.

Kind of a Chevy vs ford vs GM thing .

edited:Removed the stuff that made me sad
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Butte - "The Brown Dog", Chocolate Lab. He's a good dog.

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Last December 14th I lost TROOPER, my australian Sheepdog.  He was almost 2 years.

We went back and found the people who sold him to us and they fortunately had one pup left from
that litter.  Got him and named him Shilo.

6 weeks ago we got Teddy, a black tri and they have never been apart since....

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#3]
First my condolences on loosing a good friend. After loosing my 9 year old Golden "Boomer" I got "Zip". A brown Chesapeak Bay Retriever. Best dog I ever had, he's half fish, great with kids and barks only when he should. (unlike my wife who barks whenever she feels like it) The other best dog I ever had was "Cody" a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Shot dead by a trespasser at 2 years old. Still breaks my heart to think about it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife's favorite dog, Max, died last night after a failed stomach surgery.  He was an 11 year old Akita.  My wife is devastated.  My screen name is his AKC registered name.  Very difficult time around my house now.

I would vote for an Akita.  Very large and loyal breed.  Extremely smart and fierce when necessary.  Bred by the Japanese to hunt bear and guard royal children.

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#5]
go to the pound. there's a dog there, just waiting for you to come and take it home.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had a number of dogs, from Huskies, to Dobies to a Great Dane but the smartest and most loyal dog I've had is the German Shepard I currently own.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#7]
KIKOMAX

I am sorry for you loss. They are a fine breed!

My Shasha Bear died in stomach surgery also.
detached stomach. She was 10 years old.
Once again i am sorry
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've had a number of dogs, from Huskies, to Dobies to a Great Dane but the smartest and most loyal dog I've had is the German Shepard I currently own.  
View Quote

I'll second Dukota's opinion of German Shepards.  Rachel (my current Shep) is probably the most intelligent and "instinctively" protective dog I've ever had.  She's not a huge dog, but when she means business, you'd better not be the bad guy in her sights.  

On the other hand, she has never shown any aggression toward my nieces and nephews when they play rough and grab her tail or ears, etc.  In fact, she has shown her protectiveness of them.  Even so, I still supervise their "playtime" since I don't really trust any dog alone around a small child.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]
 Shot my last dog Jake about 3-4 years ago.  Best dog I have ever had.  Every other dog I have gotten from the pound.  Its true, ya don't have a clue what they are or how old they are, but they always have lots of character.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top