Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2011 10:31:58 AM EDT
Had to move the propane tanks so I could pour a concrete patio.  I need to move the line.  The original line is 1/2" steel, which I don't feel like ripping out right now, I want to get the line in, and move onto other projects.  I have 3/8" flexible copper tubing, and these brass compression fittings.  The flare is from the original exterior end.  I'm coming off of a steel T, which has one side plugged.  Can I just run the copper tubing through the wall and end with the compression fitting and the flare?  Will the compression fittings make a gas-tight seal.  I'm not overly concerned about codes.  What should I put on the threads?  Teflon tape, or dope?  Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#1]

I haven't had the best of luck with compression fittings, so I stick with flares.  Just be sure to check the connections with a soap and water solution.

Going from 1/2" to 3/8"should work, unless you're running more than two propane appliances at once.

Compression fittings are brass on brass, so tape isn't absolutely necessary but if it makes you feel better, it won't hurt anything either.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Natural gas will eat copper lines, propane may do the same. Use poly pipe.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Natural gas will eat copper lines, propane may do the same. Use poly pipe.

WTF are you talking about?

OP, no teflon tape or pipe dope on a machine thread, compression fitting or flared fitting, only on a pipe thread end.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#4]
copper + propane= bad juju. it'll work for a while, maybe a good while, then it won't. black pipe or poly only, unless you want to run stainless. no galvanized, either.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#5]
AFIK (in Florida at least) nothing but steel inside walls.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#6]
What is "Utility Grade Coil" ?

Seems to me that if outside, it should be Type "K".

You should check your local codes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I've never seen propane eat copper pipe, I guess they're gonna have to go back and swap out all those pigtails and risers on those tanks we put in.

3/8 seem a little small if your going from 1/2, 1/2" copper with flare fittings is what we used on our risers.

What ever you do spray every fitting ,even the ones you didn't touch, with leak check(soapy water works but is not the "recommended" liquid), propane is not to be fucked with

Best solution, have your propane suppliers service crew come do it
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#8]
It's type L coil, if that matters.  I just had it on hand already.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top