Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2011 7:06:06 PM EDT
Heres what I have it narrowed down to-

Mazda 3 2.5 loaded -0percent, essentially free money, for 25100 OTD

VW Golf TDI 5 door with just cold weather, bluetooth, and mats for 26550 OTD

Both are standard.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag. Been looking at VW and Mazda3's lately.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#2]
go big or go home, no truck, no care
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

A DD truck in IL!?!?!  hahahahahaha

Not sure where the OP lives but gas prices in the northern area of IL are hovering $4....

ETA OP out of those two I'd pick the VW.  IMO the Mazda 3's new design is ugly.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
screw gas prices!  if you are really worried about fuel prices, hoof it

they (the .gov) want you to buy smaller cars, so that when they create traffic jams during SHTF situations, you won't be able to get out of the city

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Mazda 3

VW's are nice cars, but they will break, and the dealership will fuck it up worse.  The diesels typically have to wait for parts too.

Have you looked at the new focus?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Mileage on the TDI? You'll get a lot of people in here shortly saying all Volkswagens are unreliable shit, but their TDIs are generally problem free.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure where the OP lives but gas prices in the northern area of IL are hovering $4....

True that.

We are right at 4/gal of diesel, and 4.08/reg in my neck of the woods. The 0 percent is REALLY tempting, but either way my payment is less than 500/month with 0 down, its just which one is closer to 250.

Problem comes when in real world driving if youre not dead careful with the 2.5 duratec/mzr in the 3, it can get abysmal mileage (right around 19 mpg combined) whereas the worst ive seen on a TDI is right around 31.

Concern comes with maintenance after the warranty. I happened to drive a white 5 door tdi that had a distinctly BROKEN clutch or excessive crank play (harsh vibration through clutch pedal), with only 215 miles, but im sure that one was well abused.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#8]
DD I would look at a honda or acura
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#9]
From my brief reading on the TDI's on the VW forums, it seems that VW has lost a bit of it's mileage advantage on the newer TDI's.  Also seems like man owners are underwhelmed by them.

I do like the TDI wagon though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

yep, tinfoil wrapped too tight lol... illl go right ahead and get on hoofing my 120 mile daily commute
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd go with the TDi, not really a fan of Mazda unless it has a rotary
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mazda 3

VW's are nice cars, but they will break, and the dealership will fuck it up worse.  The diesels typically have to wait for parts too.

Fat and gutless (especially for the price)

Needs are - Heated seats and a standard

Wants are HID

Dealbreaker- Auto

The focus only has heated seats in the platinum which is a 30k dollar c segment car with automatic only- ford really screwed the pooch on this one
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
From my brief reading on the TDI's on the VW forums, it seems that VW has lost a bit of it's mileage advantage on the newer TDI's.  Also seems like man owners are underwhelmed by them.

I do like the TDI wagon though.

They are underwhelmed because they expect a CRD to get a PDs mileage with 50% more torque, 25% more horsepower, and 100% more enjoyment, not to mention the ability to get on the hwy without shitting ones pants
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Forget the VW...it will cost you an arm and a leg on the maintenance and you'll spend all your time with it in the shop. Don't even remember what the other choice is....but get that one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mazda 3

Dan read my mind!

#1 2012 Focus
#2 Mazda3
#3 Hyundai

Those would be my pics in that class
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mazda 3

Wants are HID

Dealbreaker- Auto

The focus only has heated seats in the platinum which is a 30k dollar c segment car with automatic only- ford really screwed the pooch on this one

How did heated seats make your "must have" list?  If you can wait till next year Ford is supposed to have another trim level Focus.  It will be a Sport or ST or something like that.  Should offer all the options with a stick.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Motorcycle.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#18]
i'd go with the mazda.  have heard good + bad things about VW.  mazda = cheap+reliable+good parts/svc availability.  

my dos centavos.  

your call.  

my 8 year old civic is simple, but flawless & 35 mpg.  a/c/heat/tint/ps/pb.  crank windows & manual locks.  a man-car.  

-tom
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Subaru WRX.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mazda 3

Wants are HID

Dealbreaker- Auto

How did heated seats make your "must have" list?  If you can wait till next year Ford is supposed to have another trim level Focus.  It will be a Sport or ST or something like that.  Should offer all the options with a stick.

I just must have heated seats. They are wonderful in the winter. The ST will not garner near the mileage of the TDI and is more sport compact oriented (competing with the Golf R and Mazdaspeed 3). I have a car to go fast in already.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#21]
2.5 Mazda 3

I bought one a couple of months ago. Great steering, transmission (manual), braking and handling for the class.

You really have 2 options with the Mazda 3. 1) give up some mileage and get the torquey 2.5  2) wait a few months (October release) and get one with a Skyactiv engine [28/40 mpg (automatic), 27/39 mpg (manual)]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#22]

'62 VW Beetle with a 40 hp engine.      gets around 35mpgs and YES girls love it.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

'62 VW Beetle with a 40 hp engine.      gets around 35mpgs and YES girls love it.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/volksnuts/62%20VW/Olderpics334.jpg

Nice car... problem is, morning commute on I-294, Im pretty sure id have to hit the reset button on life about 4 times
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I like the design and style of the VW but their reliability is spotty. There have been several threads on this but one guy carried six coil packs with him at all times because his Jetta burned thru them. Tranny problems, electrical problems, but there is always a couple of guys who have had no problems.
On the other hand Mazda has a record of very good reliability, I  have not checked lately but you can go to Consumer Reports and Edmunds.com and view owner comments on these vehicles.
I vote Mazda.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Neither; wait for 2012 Focus ST:

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#26]
As someone who has had a Golf TDI since 2002 and bought a 2009 GTI last summer, I have to say TDI!

The main reason I got a GTI this time is because I found one with very low miles and the price difference was enough to buy a bunch of gas.  If I could have found a used Golf TDI for the same price, I probably would have bought it.

I can't really speak to maintenance on a new TDI, but maintenance and repairs on my 2002 have been dirt cheap.  Hell, it still has the original brakes after 150k miles.  Just buy a diagnostic cable from Ross Tech, buy your shit on-line, and do your own work.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Both are standard.

I have a 2010 2.3 liter Mazda 3.  It's all good so far.  I get better gas mileage than advertised.  I hover around 27-29 mpg in D.C. stop and go traffic.  I think I just hit 19k miles.  

You'd be surprised how well Mazda does the 3.  My brakes are probably best in class front/rear disc.  The interior is probably best in price range as well.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Both are standard.

stay away from VW's!  I know two people who purchased Jettas in the past couple of years, and those cars are the biggest pieces of shit ever there was! sunroofs opening by themselves, idiot lights coming on for no reason, and VW techs not able to figure out why they keep coming on, interior trim pieces falling apart in less than a year, turbos leaking, and the list goes on and on and on. I'd personally go with the Mazda, I've actually been looking at those as well, and will likely be pulling the trigger within the next 4-6 weeks on one.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As someone who has had a Golf TDI since 2002 and bought a 2009 GTI last summer, I have to say TDI!

The main reason I got a GTI this time is because I found one with very low miles and the price difference was enough to buy a bunch of gas.  If I could have found a used Golf TDI for the same price, I probably would have bought it.

I can't really speak to maintenance on a new TDI, but maintenance and repairs on my 2002 have been dirt cheap.  Hell, it still has the original brakes after 150k miles.  Just buy a diagnostic cable from Ross Tech, buy your shit on-line, and do your own work.

I'll be honest and say that the only thing that stopped me from buying a 2011 Golf TDI instead of my Mazda 3 were the persistent and lingering High Pressure Fuel Pump failure threads on TDI forums. I'm sure that the failure rate is rather small, but the prevailing forum wisdom was to use additives at every fill up "just to be safe".

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Mazda 3

And the VW will cost more for parts. The Mazda 3 is the benchmark for small cars.

I've worked as a mechanic at Mazda and VW dealers. the TDi is great and will last a long time, but so will the Mazda. The Mazda will likely have fewer problems with ancillary stuff like power windows and electronics too. Unless you genuinely think you'll keep the car for 300k+ miles, get the Mazda.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be honest and say that the only thing that stopped me from buying a 2011 Golf TDI instead of my Mazda 3 were the persistent and lingering High Pressure Fuel Pump failure threads on TDI forums. I'm sure that the failure rate is rather small, but the prevailing forum wisdom was to use additives at every fill up "just to be safe".

Yep, Ive read those same threads. Just be glad you weren't an early adopter of the 1st gen Mazdaspeed 3 and their HPFP debacle. The 3 just seem so lackluster interior wise, and maybe less of a hwy cruiser than the TDI. My current DD gets 35mpg if im nice to it at 80-90 mph.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, Ive read those same threads. Just be glad you weren't an early adopter of the 1st gen Mazdaspeed 3 and their HPFP debacle. The 3 just seem so lackluster interior wise, and maybe less of a hwy cruiser than the TDI. My current DD gets 35mpg if im nice to it at 80-90 mph.
Both legit concerns, on the TDI and the MS3.  I had a friend with a lightly modded MS3 and he only had it for about a year because it was so problematic, although I'm not sure if the problems were typical or if it just wasn't built to handle light mods like a VW is.  And of course the HPFP issues on the TDIs.
From what I can tell, they both really are good cars over-all.  It probably comes down to preference, and I'd just prefer the VW every time.
I really think the maintenance/repair costs for VW are over-stated though AS LONG AS YOU DO YOUR OWN WORK.

ETA:  What is your current DD?  Scion?  TDI?  Prius? ETAA: 2-wheeler?

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#33]
You'd get better fuel economy with the TDI, probably enough that even if diesel went up in price over regular unleaded, you'd still save.

The drawback is that it comes in a VW.  Their quality hasn't been that great in the last few years.  Of course, I'm going to qualify this by saying I have never owned one, and I'm just repeating what I've heard, so don't take my word for it.  Do some research on your own.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both legit concerns, on the TDI and the MS3.  I had a friend with a lightly modded MS3 and he only had it for about a year because it was so problematic, although I'm not sure if the problems were typical or if it just wasn't built to handle light mods like a VW is.  And of course the HPFP issues on the TDIs.

From what I can tell, they both really are good cars over-all.  It probably comes down to preference, and I'd just prefer the VW every time.

I really think the maintenance/repair costs for VW are over-stated though AS LONG AS YOU DO YOUR OWN WORK.

ETA:  What is your current DD?  Scion?  TDI?  Prius? ETAA: 2-wheeler?

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe-6 speed, premium package, navigation, Montego blue, SCCA Solo2 STR car

Sold daily and looking for replacement, driving racecar in interim

ETA: daily was gas guzzling german tank C300 4matic
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:39:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Mazda 3

This.

VW's quality has been steadily going downhill, the past 10 or 15 years. Anything you save in fuel prices will be lost in maintenance and repair on the VW, over the long run.

I'd go with the Mazda, in a heart beat.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top