Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2011 2:02:19 PM EDT
I have 2 4 legged friends. A Australian Cattle dog and a mini poodle. Both as gentle as can be but sometimes when I let them outside I still see where there genes came from. Especially in my ACD. She is quite the hunter.

I was just curious if you ever have seen similar.....
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The only thing Bandit will do is the walking around in circles before laying down. I suppose lots of dogs do that, though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#2]
A roommate and friend of mine had a 50/50 blue heeler/border collie.  She was very protective of whoever she was with, and if we took her to the lake she would immediately run the perimeter of our general area and make a racket anytime someone approached from outside the group.  She also sort of herded other dogs at the dog park.  She was very nippy at first, even just walking around the house she would kind of jump at you and nip your hands.  She was smart and a quick learner.  All of those seem to be traits of those breeds.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#3]
20 years ago we had a pet Coyote. My wife got him as a tiny pup from my Brother-in-Law after he whacked the mom. He wasn't much of a hunting dog as we know hunting dogs and we wasn't much of a guard dog as we know guard dogs. Because of him we couldn't have any thing nice on our 5 acres, no chickens or cats or rabbits. He killed my favorite cat right in front of me. He was just an opportunistic killer, but as a dog he was great, he really liked my wife and I and we really liked him.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I never could let my GSD out in the yard when the boy and his friends were playing.  The few times I tried, he'd run around nipping everyone in the ass trying to keep them all together.  I'm sure he didn't even know why he was doing it, but he sure wanted all those kids in one place...
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a Samoyed, very smart dog, maybe the smartest I ever had.  He had quite a wild dog streak in him, closer to nature than some overbred breeds.  I think huskies are like that too.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

20 years ago we had a pet Coyote. My wife got him as a tiny pup from my Brother-in-Law after he whacked the mom. He wasn't much of a hunting dog as we know hunting dogs and we wasn't much of a guard dog as we know guard dogs. Because of him we couldn't have any thing nice on our 5 acres, no chickens or cats or rabbits. He killed my favorite cat right in front of me. He was just an opportunistic killer, but as a dog he was great, he really liked my wife and I and we really liked him.

Eh, I would have killed him on the spot.  But I like cats far more than I like dogs.

Our dog is very, very submissive.  Particularly to me.  But she likes to play rough and I am the only one she can play rough with, then when I am done I just look at her sternly and tell her it is time to be done and she actually cowers and shows her belly.  Never made her do it intentionally, she just does.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#7]
He peed on my fucking rug once.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Both of my dogs are mixed breeds that I got from the shelter, so I have no idea what their breed is.

One seems to be a lab/pit mix and I see her pit traits pop up every now and then since she's so strong.

The other one, well, I have no clue. She leaps all over, so I guess she's part gazelle.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#9]
My American Bulldog, as sweet as she is, shows her traits, especially when she is playing.  I have never seen a dog as fast as her, and she jumps like a kangaroo.  I can see why they were used to latch on the snouts of bulls...she would have no problem doing that and shaking her muscular body until the bull submitted.  She is very gentle around the family too.

Nice kitteh:

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not the rug, man.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Where did you get a pet chinaman?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, all the time

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Yea, see below.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the rug, man.

It really tied the room together.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Ohh yeah my Heeler is quite the rabbit hunter first thing in the morning....Its almost like a routine between her and the bunny
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#16]
My dog is a lab/pit mix and i can see a few traits from both breeds in him from time to time.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top