Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2011 6:44:39 PM EDT
Wife and I are planning to visit Yellowstone next weekend, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  What would you make sure to plan to see in those 3 days?  We're driving from Utah.  We have a free hotel in Jackson, WY, is that a suitable "home base" to visit the park each day?

Any suggestions appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If I had my way, piles of dead bull elk around me....

Other than that, all the cool shit they have there.

Its been 15+ years since I have been, so I don't remember a lot.

Jackson might be a stretch for a home base.

Driving south to Alpine where I start into Bridger National Forest to hunt is a good hour+ and it looks like Yellowstone is farther.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Jackson is waaaaay south of Yellowstone. Well over an hour, I think.

Honestly, if I were you I'd split time between the Tetons and Yellowstone. Hike Jenny Lake in the Tetons, see Coulter Bay, maybe drive up and see some geyser's and hike a few trails.

ETA: Hike Jenny Lake and take the ferry back to the parking lot. The views from the boat are breathtaking.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Caldera Eruption
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#4]
You can see me.    I will be there 13th-21st.  I am interested to see what suggestions you get.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#5]
3 days is not nearly enough time.

I would say Yellowstone Falls and the pools for sure.

Then head to Glacier NP and hit Going To The Sun road.

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#6]
We went there earlier this summer. We stayed closer to the park, in Island Park ID, but still a good 20 minutes to the park entrance... Jackson WY is a bit more of a haul as I recall, but a beautiful drive through Grand Teton NP.

We managed to get a good taste of Yellowstone in two full days. We drove around the loop, stopping off at most of the viewing points to check out the highlights. You will see everything, but you won't really have any time to hike off the beaten path. We spent a third day white water rafting on the Gallatin River in MT, which was great fun for our kids (12 & 14).

I hope this helps - have a fun time there. Oh, and take a gun and/or bear spray... a tourist was killed up there by a Grizzly a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's a 9 hour drive out of Jackson.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Jackson is waaaaay south of Yellowstone. Well over an hour, I think.

Honestly, if I were you I'd split time between the Tetons and Yellowstone. Hike Jenny Lake in the Tetons, see Coulter Bay, maybe drive up and see some geyser's and hike a few trails.
ETA: Hike Jenny Lake and take the ferry back to the parking lot. The views from the boat are breathtaking.

This.  Jackson is a great base of operations for Grand Teton, but you'll have to subtract a couple of hours to account for travel if you're staying there the whole time.

For Yellowstone, I'd do the lower half of the "8" –– the main roads form a figure 8 in the park.  That way you can see West Thumb, the buffalo at Hayden Valley, Yellowstone Falls, Norris geyser basin, and finally Old Faithful all in one day.

It will be a very busy and long day, but it can be done.

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Old faithful was disappointing. The lodge is neat.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#10]
1 day of Yellowstone and 2 days of the Tetons. Less people, less kids, less touristy, less lines, better scenery etc....

Go see the thermal stuff in Yellowstone one day and then get outdoors away from the endless people. Yellowstone is like going to a nature store at the freaking mall.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#11]
You wanna see scenery?  Go to Artist's Point at Canyon, and check out Mary and Sedge Bays in the Lake area.  Also check out Mammoth Hot springs.
You wanna see wildlife?  Get out well before dawn and head either up to Lamar or to Dunraven Pass.  In the Lamar, you'll see wolves, grizzly, coyotes, bison, elk and antelope, but you'll see most of it from pretty far away...talking like a half mile or more.  In Dunraven, you might have a grizzly cross the road in front of you.  You'll see elk and bison around Mammoth, black bear in the Tower Junction area, ;possibly moose near petrified tree.  In Teton, you'll see moose near Ox Bow Bend, which is also a beautifully scenic place.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Mammoth Hot Springs area and the loop around to Old Faithful. Lots of stops along the way.

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
1 day of Yellowstone and 2 days of the Tetons. Less people, less kids, less touristy, less lines, better scenery etc....

Go see the thermal stuff in Yellowstone one day and then get outdoors away from the endless people. Yellowstone is like going to a nature store at the freaking mall.

You should go in the Spring or Fall then.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely.  After Labor Day Grand Teton is like a funeral home, most of the hotels in the park start shutting down at that point.

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.  After Labor Day Grand Teton is like a funeral home, most of the hotels in the park start shutting down at that point.

During high season at an overlook near the falls at Jenny Lake I once heard an old lady exclaim to her husband that "the view would be much better if they would just cut down those damn trees." And she was serious. I've also been asked if my ice ax was for bear defense.

I'd love to get out there some day in the off-season.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Old Faithful Lodge

Mammoth hot springs

The thermal features along the Firehole

There should be quite a few animals within sight of the roads; elk, buffalo....

Be prepared for long lines of traffic.  If someone sees a squirrel and stops, tons of other cars will stop too.  People think roads in the park don't follow vehicle and traffic laws so be prepared fo people to do crazy things.

Get through the gate by 8 or you'll be in line for an hour.

YNP set an attendance record for July; 900,000.  About 30k a day.  It can snow any day of the year in YNP.

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

During high season at an overlook near the falls at Jenny Lake I once heard an old lady exclaim to her husband that "the view would be much better if they would just cut down those damn trees." And she was serious. I've also been asked if my ice ax was for bear defense.

I'd love to get out there some day in the off-season.

Touron stories...oh I got dozens of them.  

Like the time the lady asked when the elk turn into moose.  Or the people crowding around a mamma moose and her calf at dusk, trying to get flash pictures.  Or the lady who tried to pet a moose (the moose just walked away, IIRC).

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wife and I are planning to visit Yellowstone next weekend, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  What would you make sure to plan to see in those 3 days?  We're driving from Utah.  We have a free hotel in Jackson, WY, is that a suitable "home base" to visit the park each day?

Any suggestions appreciated.

that is one trip i have always wanted to take , enjoy
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the help.  Unfortunately, all of the lodging in Yellowstone is sold out for next weekend, so we may have to make our home base at Jackson, we'll see.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Thanks for the help.  Unfortunately, all of the lodging in Yellowstone is sold out for next weekend, so we may have to make our home base at Jackson, we'll see.

Make sure you see the Lower Falls and get into the Lamar Valley, drive it all the way to Cooke City. It really sucks you have to stay in Jackson.

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Touron stories...oh I got dozens of them.  

Like the time the lady asked when the elk turn into moose.  Or the people crowding around a mamma moose and her calf at dusk, trying to get flash pictures.  Or the lady who tried to pet a moose (the moose just walked away, IIRC).

Never heard about the moose metamorphosis, but I've seen people a couple of times try to approach moose or bison.

The camp I worked at bordered the National Elk Refuge in Kelly, WY. We had elk come walking through camp often. I loved watching them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Fish jumping on the firehole creek at sun down.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#23]
You can see pretty much all of it that is drivable in that amount of time, including a couple short hikes.  However, you will have to keep moving to see it, and you will have to plan on driving in early and driving out late.  Jackson is far to the South, but there are really no hotels that are suitable as a "base camp"  All are about an hour, worse with traffic. (with the exception of the one in the park, of course)

Jackson is the farthest, you will be in for some exhausting drives.

If you are serious about spending time in the Park, consider staying in the park, if able.  Even Car Camping would be preferable if you want to make the trip about Natural wonders and not driving.  

Don't miss the road that goes up to the North East corner.  It's not as heavily traveled, but there are some amazing waterfalls, silica and formations and pools.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Found some hotels outside the park in West Yellowstone, MT.  We can stay there one night and stay in Jackson on the last night, should make seeing the northern parts of the park easier.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#26]
My house...
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 3:08:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Found some hotels outside the park in West Yellowstone, MT.  We can stay there one night and stay in Jackson on the last night, should make seeing the northern parts of the park easier.

Good idea.  The best place to stay to see the north part is Gardiner, but West Yellowstone will work too and has more choices.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 3:34:21 AM EDT
[#28]
DON'T go to the Discovery park thing outside the west gates.  Waste of money.  If you need an animal fix, go to Bear World in Rexburg.  Well worth the money, especially if you bring kids.

Spend some time hitting all the cool walk-to places that are off the beaten path.  No, you don't have to hike 50 mile loop trails.  I mean just walk around on the boardwalks, especially when you see Old Faithful.  Some of the coolest are "behind".  Definitely see Old Faithful early in the a.m. to beat the crowds.

Go to Lamar valley and see the wildlife.  Some of the pullout overlooks will provide a decent place to spot bears.  Bring binos or a spotting scope if you are serious about seeing them.

If you are able, take a half day and hike a small trail.  You can carry in the park (depending on your legality in the state itself), so bring the biggest handgun you please.

If you geocache, there are a lot of virtual caches throughout the park.  I didn't like them as much, but I'm lazy and don't want do do "research" to get credit for a find.

See if you can hit multiple viewing points for the upper and lower falls.  Especially the upper falls.  They are pretty nightmarishly huge this year.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 3:39:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I do love Yellowstone !

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:38:35 AM EDT
[#30]
I do too.  

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 5:32:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn,was it that long of a drive ?

Obviously it's been a while...

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 5:52:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Check out the size of the Griz in the Yellowstone Lodge.  I can still hear Lewis and Clark saying WTF!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 6:11:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Caribou-Targhee National Forest!
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 6:29:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Damn- what's that grizzley toting?  

That is a badass picture.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#36]
It's been a few years but I drove south from Yellowstone to JH and didn't realize I was in Grand Teton National park. Speed limit was still 40 mph, as is Yellowstone. I thought I was out of national parks and was driving 55 mph. Ticket from park ranger was (I think) about $150.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#37]
What would I see?

The Madison, the Firehole, and whatever other water I could flail a fly rod at...  
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Just for fun, try to find a mama grizzly and chase the cubs with a stick.

Just kidding.

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Canyon area, Hayden Valley. Dunraven Pass(you can climb(walk) up to Mt Washburn in about 1:15 I think) and Lamar Valley are my favorites from the car.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#40]
The most beautiful drive in the world is Red Lodge to Cook City.  The second most beautiful drive is Cook City to Red Lodge.  Do it.

Also, go to the Boiling River.  Europeans like to show their bewbies there.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn,was it that long of a drive ?

Obviously it's been a while...

I always wanted to go see Glacier when I worked near Jackson, but it was just too long of a drive. Glacier would require a trip of its own or a long stopover on a longer roadtrip.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Good thread.  I leave for Glacier tomorrow night.  I'll be there for 5 days or so, then we're heading to Yellowstone & Grand Teton.  We have 2 weeks to hike all over.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:13:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Artist's Point is a great spot, but will probably be choked with humanity.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Artist's Point is a great spot, but will probably be choked with humanity.

Pretty much this, I had to wait about 10 minutes to get close enough to grab this. This might be from Moran Point, but same thing there. Either way, too many people.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top